GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed E/C's rear polks last weekend. Install went fine. I triple checked all connections, everything fit with a few minor adjustments.

I did not purchase the amp.

The factory front speakers are louder and have a deeper sound than the polks. I have to adjust the fade to tone down the front factory speakers to get equal sound. When I only use the rear speakers the sound is just OK. And again all connections are tight and correct.

What am I doing wrong if anything? (I checked all of the audio buttons-fade, bass etc). Am I expecting too much from the rear speakers @ $90 +shipping. It seems to me that the quality of those polks should out shine the factory speakers by far. Could the included baffles be the problem? Even without the amp I think the sound should be much better.
Any advice other than the amp?
Thanks,
Pat
PS: this is not a shot at E/C, I've had good luck with their products. :D

Thanks!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Well, I didnt install the polks but went with diamonds X4. The fronts were totally awesome but the backs were still not performing as I expected. Two things I did to improve this was to first of all stuff those rear pods as full as possible with poly fill. It can be bought at any wal mart or speciallity store like Hobby Lobby ( it is used to stuff pillows). What a great improvement. It keeps the sound comming toward you rather that away from you. PS stuff the front ones also!

Second, I have found that I get much better quality sound from my speakers with the AMB off.

Hope this helps!

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I have the Polks, front and back, and the front Polks clearly outperform the Polks in the back. I used foam baffles from Crutchfield with the back speakers, hoping that it would make a difference. I can't say if it did or not. I picked up my Polks when Crutchfield was closing them out, and paid $50 for one pair, and $40 for the other pair.

My bike originally came with the "Big Bike" speakers in the back, and they really were poor quality. They were only better than nothing at all.

The Polks have a bit of a brighter sound, for lack of a better term, than the stock speakers. I have found to put the Ambience (AMB) on the "LO" setting with the Polks, and to use a bit less treble.

Play with the settings for a while, it will take a while for you to find the settings that agree with you.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
For the minimal output power (15 watts) of the stock radio, you probably won't see too much of an improvement in sound with aftermarket vs. stock speakers.

The Polks, as with any other high performance aftermarket speaker are made to have some power pushing them.

Personally I have a Pioneer 4/channel 300 watt amp pushing 4 1/2" JVC's at roughly 60 to 70 watts per speaker.

Needless to say... my system ROCKS!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input everyone.
(the new kit from E/C comes with a set of foam baffles).If you folks are getting your Polks for $50 I guess I paid $50 for the speakers and $40 for the harness-Oh well!
It sounds like unless you plan on replacing all four speakers and installing an amp a person might as well buy the less expensive rear speakers. Without the power to drive those Polks they are pretty much a waste of a good speaker and cash. Maybe the front set and amp next year. :lol:
Thanks,
Time to ride-50 on Friday I hope :D
Pat

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have the exact same set-up including a Silver Wing. I set the fader a notch or 2 to the rear. I get great sound. The Polk's probably arn't as effiecent as the Honda front speakers, therefore, a sound difference. I'll probably eventually switch the Polk's to the front and add something else to the rear (MORE SPACE IN THE REAR PODS MEAN A BETTER CHOICE OF SPEAKERS). Waiting on more comments on the boards and rally season to start up b4 buying new rear speakers.
Randy F
Concord, NC
'02 Silver

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Pat,

Rich picked up the Polks @ $50 when Crutchfield closed them out. We have an agreement with Polk to continue to offer these speakers.

When you did the install, did you use the baffles we included? The rear pods are not sealed like the fronts which makes a huge difference. We found the addition of the pods slightly seals the rear enclosure giving a better sound quality.

You can slightly alter the sound by reversing the wires placing the speaker out of phase. Some people prefer the sound that way.

Please feel free to call anytime you are not sure of installation or outcome and we will assist the best we can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts