GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the electrical connection turn signal conversion kit from Lewis(the 49.95 version). Is there anyone here who has installed them that can make the install a little more simple for me......Thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
I installed them on my 1800 and my Bushtec trailer. I have a set ordered for the wife's 04.

They come with good instructions and pictures. Make sure you drill where it says. Don't let the bit go inside the lens when you drill through. The bit can contact the reflective lens. When the instructions say to point the LED toward the rear, it means toward the rear of the lens. That means the front of the bike.

If you have any questions when you get thing apart send me a e-mail (it is listed on my profile) I will call you. I have the wire colors wrote down on my instructions.

If you want advice right from the horse's mouth. Lewis (EC) is a big help.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Blue Knight

I did mine the easy way. Purchased them, put them in a drawer in the garage, wait for Lewis to appear early June, watch vendor install his product on my bike.

Can't get more simpler than that..

I "think" I remember Lewis telling me to use a spade bit if I had one. Might want to confirm that with him.

Good Luck & Wish i could help you. This "Turn Signal Conversion Kit" sure adds a lot of extra light on the rear.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The install went pretty good. Question for Lewis or anyone else that can help....Which wires do I tap into before I put the T-Tap into the pink harness? Looks like you have to tap into 3 wires for the 3 pink harnesses... Thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
Left side
T-Tap on the orange wire goes to the black wire
T-Tap on the brown with white strip to the greens
T-Tap on the green with red stripe to the blue

Right side
T-Tap same as left except tap in to the light blue wire instead of orange

Is that what you were asking?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Wingman...got it hooked up...gonna love the xtra lights!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Blue Knight - aside from the wiring which obviously must be done correctly, be especially careful about making sure you drill the holes in the right spot in the casing. Do it correctly and you'll see the lights as they should be, and do it wrong and you'll lose the effect that was intended. I've seen some done in the wrong spot and they simply don't show up as it should.

Brian Fenner has a good set of photos on the install on his site for the correct spot. Check his out near the bottom for the right and left side.
http://members9.clubphoto.com/brian505807/1148113/guest.phtml

Great accessory once you have them working,

DaleC

·
Registered
317 Posts
Maybe Lewis will chime in and set the record straight about the direction of the LED. I think I remember being told it needed to point toward the reflector. After two years..............not sure!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Well Brian Fenner's great photos of the install position works out
perfectly as shown here:

Here is how mine turned out and I'm a happy camper!!

DaleC

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
The quad cluster of LEDs should face the back of the housing for the best effect. If they face the lens, it looks like 4 red dots.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Now I feel like a real dummy, I've been running almost a year with the quad led pointing toward the rear of the bike. [/list]

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
installed mine last night w/ the quad cluster facing out......just turned them inward....Lewis u are right...I got a much better light of red w/ the quad cluster facing the housing ....Thanks for the tip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts