GL1800Riders Forums banner

E3 Front Tire Pressure?

6K views 25 replies 24 participants last post by  05nwl 
#1 ·
I like my trial set of E3s. However, I just tried inflating the front to the factory recommended 36 psi and don't much like the feeling. I usually run 41/41. The softer front feels like it squishes then catches when I turn. I find the setup with a narrower 70 series rear and standard size front feels like it tips in faster, or maybe easier, than the Bridgestones, but this is a different feeling. It now feels like a two stage lean and catch sort of deal. Grip and stability once turned is fine.

Do others feel like the front feels squishy at 36 psi?

If you are running the Dunlop, what front tire pressure are you using with your E3?

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Auto part Wheel

See less See more
#2 ·
When I had E3's on my 1500 I ran 41 front and 45 rear. Like this a lot better than the recommended. I felt the bike was more responsive and I got 20,000 miles on a set once. At recommended pressure, I only got 7K to10K. They do tend to "sing" a bit in the corners at the higher pressure but I never minded that. Just turn up the music. I just got a 2014 and have the original B-stones on it and plan on going back to the E3's when these wear out.

JMHO

#10 ·
Side of my E3's says under max load front 41 and rear 42. That's what I run if at max or not, though I'm mostly 2 up and sometimes pulling trailer. Recently changed front and rear @19k front and 14.5K rear. I changed the rear a little early for a trip to be safe. I also run centramatics with no wheel weights. That's my 3cents worth if that helps.
Ride safe and ride often.

#12 ·
I use the recommended tire pressure that is listed on the tire itself of 41 psi. both front and rear. I have also used the Recommended Cold Tire Pressure recommended on the bike itself of 36 psi. front and 41 psi. rear but found that the front tire started to cup. I'm not sure if the low pressure manifested the cupping condition or something else.

#13 ·
I like my trial set of E3s. However, I just tried inflating the front to the factory recommended 36 psi and don't much like the feeling. I usually run 41/41. The softer front feels like it squishes then catches when I turn. I find the setup with a narrower 70 series rear and standard size front feels like it tips in faster, or maybe easier, than the Bridgestones, but this is a different feeling. It now feels like a two stage lean and catch sort of deal. Grip and stability once turned is fine.

Do others feel like the front feels squishy at 36 psi?

If you are running the Dunlop, what front tire pressure are you using with your E3?

View attachment 67754
36 is to low and will cup and feel like a stone. 41all the way and they are hard

#17 ·
When I had E3's on my 1500 I ran 41 front and 45 rear. Like this a lot better than the recommended. I felt the bike was more responsive and I got 20,000 miles on a set once. At recommended pressure, I only got 7K to10K. They do tend to "sing" a bit in the corners at the higher pressure but I never minded that. Just turn up the music. I just got a 2014 and have the original B-stones on it and plan on going back to the E3's when these wear out.

JMHO

I will say that I agree with this post totally....

Get softer than 41 psi on the front and it gets a bit squirrelly... I just don't like the feel of it.
IMO, Honda recommends pressures for "softer ride", not safer performance.

Even on my '94SE and my '98SE, both with E3 tires, I set them at 44 psi front and rear, when down to 41 more air is added.

#18 ·
Side of my E3's says under max load front 41 and rear 42. That's what I run if at max or not, though I'm mostly 2 up and sometimes pulling trailer. Recently changed front and rear @19k front and 14.5K rear. I changed the rear a little early for a trip to be safe. I also run centramatics with no wheel weights. That's my 3cents worth if that helps.
Ride safe and ride often.
I also run 41f/42r and run Centramatics (with no weights) and I get 14-15k out of set. I like Dunlaps but have not even tried other brands. I feel if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Ride safely!

#20 ·
The 70 series tire is not narrower [sic] - It is taller.. Both series tires are 180mm wide. The 70 refers to the ratio of width to height. a 70 series tire is taller than a 60 series tire as it relates to the overall width. A taller tier might look more narrow but it is the same as the 60 series...both are 180 .

#21 ·
Original Poster here. Thanks so much for all your responses. I'm so glad to know that I'm not imagining things. :lol:

I stopped at Taco Bell for dinner tonight, and when I was done and the tires were cold, I hopped across the street to a gas station and aired up. They have one of them newfangled air pumps were you enter the pressure you want into the machine, then pump air till the pump dings at your three times. I LOVE those things! Way cool and super easy to use. I feel much more confident with these pumps. Almost worth a buck!

I went with 41 front and 43 rear. Why "over pressure" on the rear? That's the tire that keeps cooling down on cold nights and giving me low pressure readings EVEN WHEN I START WITH 41 psi.

The ride home was back to normal. No worries. No slipping even with fairly steep lean angles (I'm not a peg dragger). No wonky tip in. No problems braking. I just kept my eyes up and enjoyed the ride. Much better!

:thumbup:

#22 ·
was running 38 front on my new E3 started cupping at about 6000 miles on a 2 week trip ...increased it to 40 ...cupping is not abnormal just never had one go this fast before

#23 ·
You can get Dunlop"s recommended pressure from their web site.
You can, and here is what Dunlop says about overinflation of tires. That's what you are doing when you increase pressure above the maximum "cold" pressure that is indicated on the tire sidwall.

"Overinflating tires does not increase load-carrying capacity, but will result in a hard ride and accelerated tire wear in the center of the contact patch."

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info-center/care-and-maintenance/
:doorag:

#24 ·
Original Poster here.

I went with 41 front and 43 rear. Why "over pressure" on the rear? That's the tire that keeps cooling down on cold nights and giving me low pressure readings EVEN WHEN I START WITH 41 psi.

:thumbup:
WHOA! IF you are checking the pressure at relatively the same cold temp, then the pressure should not change one day to the next or later. Ya gots a slow leak there Pard. Check your Schrader core for snugness and the stem for any flex leaks. Soapy water or Windex is excellent for spraying around the beads to see if a "beard" of bubbles grow over the next 10 or 15 minutes.

prs

#26 ·
WHOA! IF you are checking the pressure at relatively the same cold temp, then the pressure should not change one day to the next or later. Ya gots a slow leak there Pard. Check your Schrader core for snugness and the stem for any flex leaks. Soapy water or Windex is excellent for spraying around the beads to see if a "beard" of bubbles grow over the next 10 or 15 minutes.

prs
What he said. But, if you don't find a leak...you should be checking and setting/adjusting the tire pressure before riding when the tire is cold. If you do that, it should not indicate "low" after sitting overnight. What do you mean by "low" (how low) and what do you mean by "cold nights" (how cold)?

The rear tire on a Goldwing experiences a higher temperature differential during riding than the front from normal use so it is normal for the pressure to vary quite a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.