GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
11,000 on a set of E3s. They sing in the corners. The front is not cupped at all. The rear is. I keep 40 in each. I may keep 41 in rear from now on. Is it best to always change both front and rear? Would you if the front looks like it is still good after 11K?

I got 8K from the previous D250s and the rear had a cut, replaced both with E3s

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
You don't have to change both. Rule of thumb is 2 rears to 1 front.

On my VTX I got 9k out of a rear metz replaced it with an Avon, and 17k out of a front metz. I put a new front Avon on earlier this spring, now my rear Avon is close to being changed , got 14K on it. The Avons are great on the VTX. getting close to putting the new metz set on the wing. Got the original dunnies on it with 9k+ on them. Both front and rear will be changed on the wing. The dunnies are both worn to the point of needing to be changed. 8)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have the same experience with my E3. 11,000 miles, front looks very good with no cupping. The rear is cupped and will hop in a turn. I have had a wobble from the day they were installed.

Changed the original D250's at 10,000. Could have gotten a few more out of them but had a trip planned and wanted new tires before leaving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just changed my E3's and got 18K out of the set. With the recent strike I had to go with Avon's as I couldn't find any E3's. Will go back to E3's on next set. They were priced about $100 cheaper than the Avon's.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
similar experience to redwing03,

changed my 250's at 14,000 miles due to a upcoming trip, no issues with them, a little slippery in the wet.

installed E3's, got the wobble, have 10,000 miles, no cupping at all on the front, minimal on the rear, 40 front, 41 rear. I notice they are starting to sing in the corners.

Depending on the wear no need to change both, but when one needs to be replaced, the other is not far behind, so I do both together.

·
Registered
21,094 Posts
ran my elite's for 23,000 smiles, they did have a slight wobble from new but it never got much worse, they both cupped some but nothing serious, i happen to prefer Metzlers but had to give the elite's a try.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have 16K on my rear Dunlop 250. The front was changed out at 3K because I ran the recomended pressure and it cupped. I am running 40 in the replacement and it has 13K with no indication of cupping. No noticable wear either.
The rear (16K original) is cupped BAD but still has plenty of rubber. I bought a new 250, will get it mounted in the spring and will be running 42 in it.
I am a typical "old fart" type of rider. No hard throttle coming out of a turn, no peg scraping and easy does it in the rain.
Asside from the cupping (which I hope will be eliminated by running a higher pressure) I have no complaints with the 250's.
Big Wes said 2 rears to 1 front. Seems like that will be the way my tires will last.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have 11G on my E3's also and they do sing in the turns but have a lot of tread left.
Can someone tell me what "cupping" looks like? When I got my E3's the wrench guy told me the old set was cupped but it looked normal to me.
Mark

·
Registered
19,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
markk said:
I have 11G on my E3's also and they do sing in the turns but have a lot of tread left.
Can someone tell me what "cupping" looks like? When I got my E3's the wrench guy told me the old set was cupped but it looked normal to me.
Mark
Drag your hands slowly across the tires,if they are cupped the treads will not be level,in more severe cupping you can tell by looking at the waves of tread

·
Registered
342 Posts
ran my elite's for 23,000 smiles, they did have a slight wobble from new but it never got much worse, they both cupped some but nothing serious, i happen to prefer Metzlers but had to give the elite's a try
23K, and you prefer Metz...if I got anywhere near 23K out of a bike tire I would never change brands!! :shock:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts