GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tracked how the E4 front tires wear? If I have 4/32 tread left, would you estimate that I've gotten about 1/2 of the tire's life? I'm trying to avoid dismounting a tire that still has lots of life left and also not ending up 1000 miles from home with a bald tire.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Terry: I never ran the E-4 but I never got less than about 14K out of an E-3 and never wore one out. You also know how I ride so hope you can get an idea.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I can tell you from my experience that on the E-3's(3 sets) and E-4's(2-sets) that I usually got 17-19,000 miles on the front and rear. A lot of that is on these straight Texas roads. Probably about 50% 2 up. Probably 15% pulling our trailer. I've had Centramatic balancers on the Wing all this time. I've never kept a measurement of the tread but always replace them when they get to the wear bars. Hope this helps. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I’ve had three sets of E4s and I get 15,000 on the fronts. I am more of an easy rider than you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I got 20,700 miles out of an e4, but probably shoulda changed it at around 19,000. It was definitely wore out when I changed it.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I'm on my 3d set of E-4s and am at 5/32" yeah on the rear now. So I'm at the wear bars at 11k miles. Usually I get 17-18k out of them and this rear is about ready to get replaced for years and feathering. I think the compound is off a bit from the first two pair I bought.

The only difference I note with this set I haven't been pulling my trailer and extra weight like with the last two sets. This current set is wearing much faster for some reason.

I always run them at Max cold psi 41/42 front and rear. Something changed with this set and I'm not happy as usual. I'm about to put my DS spare rear on until the front wears down to it's replacement point.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
BTW, there is a $40 rebate available on a set till the end of August. One of our sponsors had a pair for $395, but doesn't look out to the rebate. I found the rebate elsewhere when comparing prices.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Has anyone tracked how the E4 front tires wear? If I have 4/32 tread left, would you estimate that I've gotten about 1/2 of the tire's life? I'm trying to avoid dismounting a tire that still has lots of life left and also not ending up 1000 miles from home with a bald tire.
Depends on who you're chasing at the time. Seems lessened tire mileage during the month of September for some strange reason! >:)>:)

Reactions: networkguy3

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
September

Depends on who you're chasing at the time. Seems lessened tire mileage during the month of September for some strange reason! >:)>:)
Yup. Riding behind you is really bad for the life of my tires. :laugh: That makes it your fault!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just changed out my E4's at just over 18000 miles,
Last September I took off on a 5200 trip with just about half the tread wore off.
lots of highway riding, but also some nice backroad curves, even with riding some hot desert roads
I got home with enough rubber left to squeeze part of this year's riding season out of them..

·
Registered
188 Posts
I used the E3 Dunlop for years, on the rear tire I averaged 1500 miles per 1/32" of tread. When the E4 arrived I installed a set with hopes of better tread wear. After several sets of E4 tires it seems that the mileage is vertually the same averaging 1/32" per 1500 miles. The front tire usually has 2 or 3/32 in the center but almost slick on the sides when the rear is due for replacement. Most times I have to replace them just before a trip with about 3/32 left to go on the rear tire so I never find out what the actual total miles could be.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tire wear

I used the E3 Dunlop for years, on the rear tire I averaged 1500 miles per 1/32" of tread. When the E4 arrived I installed a set with hopes of better tread wear. After several sets of E4 tires it seems that the mileage is vertually the same averaging 1/32" per 1500 miles. The front tire usually has 2 or 3/32 in the center but almost slick on the sides when the rear is due for replacement. Most times I have to replace them just before a trip with about 3/32 left to go on the rear tire so I never find out what the actual total miles could be.
So, I assume from this that the rubber on the sides of the tire is significantly softer than the rubber in the middle to give better grip. Correct?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
So, I assume from this that the rubber on the sides of the tire is significantly softer than the rubber in the middle to give better grip. Correct?
Correct. I think the middle could last 25,000 miles but the sides about 18,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Front tire is dual compound, but the rear of not unfortunately. I thought the rear was said to be harder in the center line also but after some research the sad truth came out.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Tire options

Thanks everyone for your input. I have decided to do the "safe" thing. I'm going to get a new tire before going on my trip, even if I do waste some miles on my current E4. I would have about 13K on it when I get back from Rockies Gold and that makes me a bit uncomfortable. The other option is to ride slower and keep my foot pegs from dragging, but what fun is that? :grin2:

I also realized what I would tell anyone else that asked the question. I'd say if there is any doubt of the tire's life before a trip, put on a new tire and don't worry about having bald tires during the trip.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I've swapped in new tires for long trips and swapped back to usable ties after I returned, but maybe mounting costs that make it not worth it. Now I carry a spare rear with a DS tire under my trailer just in case. My son works at a ship with a tire machine so it makes swapping rubber less costly.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
756 Posts
Mine has 20k on the front. Time to get the replacement on order. Still got some life left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Most MC front tires start with 5/32” tread, rears about 8 or 9/32, but not Goldwing tires. The E-4s are 6/32 and 10/32 respectively, same with Bridgestone G709s/G704s. A front tire with 4/32” likely has a lot of it’s life still ahead. Of course a hard cornering riding style could have much more wear on the sides and still leave a lot of tread in the center. You know how you ride and can extrapolate tire life by tread depth measured at the sides and on center.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts