GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
I didn't read all the article but had quite a conversation some years ago with a guy that ran quarter mile pro stock cars. He was running E85 many years ago and they were making a lot of power with it but it takes lots and lots of it. I don't remember the numbers as I wasn't really interested, but it took a lot of fuel compared to "real" gasoline. It was readily available and relatively cheap in comparison to "racing fuel" was the big reason for the privateer.
Don't put it in anything not designed to be able to run on it.
It makes no sense as common auto fuel. Less mileage doesn't usually work out to the cost "savings" and I personally think the whole "renewable" ethanol thing is an economic and environmental sham.

·
Vendor
21,389 Posts
There is a huge difference between someone drag racing a 1/4 or 1/8th mile trying to get every ounce of power out an engine that gets torn down and rebuilt every few weeks versus someone who daily drives a vehicle that they need to last 10-15 years. Make no mistake, ethanol laced fuels are hard on your entire fuel system, and over the long term can and will accelerate corrosion of aluminum and deteriorate any rubber or plastic components it comes into contact with. It also causes moisture to be absorbed into the fuel which further exacerbates corrosion issues.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't read all the article but had quite a conversation some years ago with a guy that ran quarter mile pro stock cars. He was running E85 many years ago and they were making a lot of power with it but it takes lots and lots of it. I don't remember the numbers as I wasn't really interested, but it took a lot of fuel compared to "real" gasoline. It was readily available and relatively cheap in comparison to "racing fuel" was the big reason for the privateer.
Don't put it in anything not designed to be able to run on it.
It makes no sense as common auto fuel. Less mileage doesn't usually work out to the cost "savings" and I personally think the whole "renewable" ethanol thing is an economic and environmental sham.
Its is not being used for racing purposes strictly because its cheap and available.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a huge difference between someone drag racing a 1/4 or 1/8th mile trying to get every ounce of power out an engine that gets torn down and rebuilt every few weeks versus someone who daily drives a vehicle that they need to last 10-15 years. Make no mistake, ethanol laced fuels are hard on you entire fuel system, and over the long term can and do accelerate corrosion and deteriorate rubber components. It also causes moisture to be absorbed into the fuel which further exacerbates corrosion issues.
Rubber fuel line that can handle methanol along with ethanol has been readily available for a number of years. The only times drag, sprints, etc. racing engines are torn down is at the end of the racing season unless a problem occurs during it. Of course the high level pro divisions tear down more often, but its not because of the fuel.

·
Vendor
21,389 Posts
GM has had a rash of problems with plastic embrittlement causing cracking of fittings on fuel pumps due to exposure to ethanol, and have been forced to recall and replace fuel pumps on many of its cars. Toyota has documented pitting inside of aluminum fuel rails caused by exposure to ethanol laced gas. I've seen what happens to the inside of metal fuel tanks when ethanol laced gas is used in them, it causes all the interior surfaces to start to corrode.

My advice is that if you can find regular gas without ethanol in your area, buy and use it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
If your machine (car, truck, bike, or whatever) is specifically tuned to run E85 for hp gain, and you are not worried about mpg, then yes, go ahead and use E85. For everyday driving in flex designed vehicles, it ain't worth warm spit IMO!

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
My thoughts is that if a car cant handle ethanol after decades on the market, it is the manufacturers fault. I have 40+ year old vehicles that has run nothing but ethanol laced fuel for the last two decades. My 19 year old VTX and 11 year old Goldwing have never had anything but ethanol laced fuel, and have never had a fuel related issue.

I consider myself outside the norm, as I tend to keep vehicles for a very long time outside the warranty. I believe the fear of Ethanol is much to do about nothing, and most here that trade every few years anyway have nothing to worry about. I do agree with the point that you shouldn't run higher amounts than your vehicle was designed for. The hysteria reminds me of when they removed the lead from gasoline, you would have thought the world ended.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Never ceases to amaze me how far off track posts can get in this forum. I knew it would at some point when I made the post, but I sure didn't expect it to go down hill this quick !! LOL.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Corn is wonderful for tortillas....... it has no place in mainstream use as a fuel.
That would be funny if it were anywhere close to being true. Tortillas are made from White Corn. The US grows 80,000,000 bushels of WC.

Ethanol is not made from food grade yellow corn. Its made from #2 yellow corn. The State of Iowa alone produces 2,508,800,000 bushels of it. .

·
Registered
76 Posts
Racer.... I wasn't trying to be funny, I was aiming at cute.

But I stand by my statement. Never said they were made from the same corn. But I will admit I learned something today.

On a semi related topic.... nice Cuda.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Never ceases to amaze me how far off track posts can get in this forum. I knew it would at some point when I made the post, but I sure didn't expect it to go down hill this quick !! LOL.
I'm not sure what the point of the posting was on a MC forum board. Are there any production motorcycles built/in use that use E85?? Not many GW drag racers out there or using E85...

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Isn’t an alcohol fueled funny car running E100? They do make a lot of HP and very little heat. But, I remember an alcie (Spelling) that leaked fuel it the pits once that had everybody scrambling to get away from. Burns clear, can’t see it. Scary stuff. Our transport vehicles labeled ‘flexfuel’ are mandated by policy to NOT use E85 because of the repair costs resulting from past policy to only use E85. Complete turnabout. If nothing else, it is a study in internal combustion Development and will teach us more about person transportation options.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not sure what the point of the posting was on a MC forum board. Are there any production motorcycles built/in use that use E85?? Not many GW drag racers out there or using E85...
All forms of high performance racing use it, including motorcycles. I thought the post in General Discussion would be something interesting/different for those that don't know about it. It appears that some thought the article was about GWs using E85 due to the title and didn't bother reading.

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
I have voluntarialy deleted my response as it may have been too political.

prs

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
What I dislike about our USA ethanol fuel program is the politics of it, the economics about it, and the restrictions it places upon our freedom of choice for fueling our motorcycles. In my area, I have to expose my motorcycles, other vehicles, and some equipment to it. That it may or may not cause harm to the machinery or pocketbook is one aspect, but I hate not having the freedom of choice.

My only non-sober fuel experience is with E-10, and on occasion it is sometimes less than 10% or apparently absent at our pumps that are marked "Up to 10%". There is NO local choice for sober gasoline. But if they had a pump that said sober fuel, I would be able to choose to buy it, or the alternative. I like our farmers and their products, but sound economic policy should place strict time limits on subsidies that phase out so that produce survives based upon supply and demand. We are up to our arm pits in crude oil here in the USA, we do not need the supplement for the sake of saving resources, if it does save anything. If oxygenated fuel is better and causes no harm, then the market should support the product without continued subsidy. At the pumps we could have Sober Regular, Drunken Regular, and Whatever Premium; i.e., a choice.

prs
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like to me that you dont realize the the fossil fuel industry is also subsidized to the tune of billions of dollars a year.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This thread is drifting into the political arena. Let's keep the politics out of it or the thread gets closed.
Its already way the hell off track. Just delete the damn thing. People just want to bitch, not discuss highlights of a product.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts