GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride solo and enjoy listening to my IPOD and the radio. I have the sound cranked up very loud so I can hear it through my full face helmet. Are there ear plugs or some other listening device I can wear and listen to my tunes through the intercom while wearing a standard full face helmet? Thanks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
HUUMMMM! Get a J&M headset and just plug it in. Or maybe I don't understand what you are asking.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HUUMMMM! Get a J&M headset and just plug it in. Or maybe I don't understand what you are asking.
I'm not familiar with headsets at all. I thought they were designed for 3/4 and half helmets. Will they fit a standard full face helmet with the visor down?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yes they will. J&M makes headsets for all style helmets and at a range of prices (from about $80 to $300+).
There are a number of companies that make headsets but many people like the J&M's. You can get them from Hal, our forum sponsor, or from Wingsuff. The HS8154 model is the economy headset (about $80 at Wingstuff) and comes complete with the one piece hookup cord. It works fine for me. The radio, MP3 and Navi system all sound good to me but I'm not real particular about having HD sound while riding. The more expensive models have a little better mics and a few frills and you have to buy lower cords so that gets pretty expensive pretty fast.
Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm using Etymotic ER6i with Comply earbud tips. Basically, it gives you earplug noise reduction levels, with crystal clear sound right in the ear.

That said, I'd of gone with Comply's own earbuds if I had it to do over again, but they were not available when I was in the market.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/noise-reduction-earphones/

I hook them into the intercom with edsets earphone adaptor.
http://www.edsets.com/edsets_adapters

I currently own a pair of Etymotic ER6i that I use with my Ipod when out and about on foot. It looks like I simply need the adaptor from Edsets. The ER6i seem fairly fragile. How have they held up to full face helmet usage (helmet placement and removal)? Have you experienced any dangerous situations due to not hearing the external noises around you? Also, is wind noise an issue when using the Er6i's with a full face helmet? Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
They've held up fine for me with probably 50 helmet don/removal cycles. With the Comply eartips or the NRR33 earplugs I wear when not using the earbuds, I've never had any problem hearing things around me.

In fact, I tend to hear things going on around me better with hearing protection as it cuts out a lot of the wind noise. Wind noise is not an issue, and in fact is much reduced with the earplugs or the comply eartips. I normally don't listen to music except on long slab rides and then I use common sense and don't turn it up much beyond ambient noise. I use the earbuds as my intercom/cb speakers as well, and they have seen far more use for that than for music.

The legality of wearing hearing protection is another matter, but if I had to chose, I'd give up riding first. My hearing is extremely important to me. If it is a concern for you, check your state laws. The only time an LEO would know you're wearing it though, is if you do something else to get pulled over.

There are some very long winded motorcycle hearing protection debates you can search for, both here and via google.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They've held up fine for me with probably 50 helmet don/removal cycles. With the Comply eartips or the NRR33 earplugs I wear when not using the earbuds, I've never had any problem hearing things around me.

In fact, I tend to hear things going on around me better with hearing protection as it cuts out a lot of the wind noise. Wind noise is not an issue, and in fact is much reduced with the earplugs or the comply eartips. I normally don't listen to music except on long slab rides and then I use common sense and don't turn it up much beyond ambient noise. I use the earbuds as my intercom/cb speakers as well, and they have seen far more use for that than for music.

The legality of wearing hearing protection is another matter, but if I had to chose, I'd give up riding first. My hearing is extremely important to me. If it is a concern for you, check your state laws. The only time an LEO would know you're wearing it though, is if you do something else to get pulled over.

There are some very long winded motorcycle hearing protection debates you can search for, both here and via google.

Thanks for the reply. I just ordered the edsets adaptor. This way I'll have the option of using my Er6i's. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I ride solo and enjoy listening to my IPOD and the radio. I have the sound cranked up very loud so I can hear it through my full face helmet. Are there ear plugs or some other listening device I can wear and listen to my tunes through the intercom while wearing a standard full face helmet? Thanks.
I have both a pair of custom molded ear plugs and a pair of custom molded ear speakers.

With the custom molded ear plugs (very comfy) I can easily listen to the audio via the external speakers or my helmet speakers (J&M).

I can hear better with the plugs in than without them while riding. Like was mentioned earlier, they cut out the howl of the wind which lets you hear everything else quite nicely. I can hear cars coming up behind me (their tire/wind noise).

I stopped wearing the ear plug speakers because the last set only lasted me about 6 months of daily riding (first set lasted only 9 months). The wires just didn't hold up to the constant on/off of the helmet. Besides, the regular ear plugs allow me to hear just fine and it's one less set of wires to mess with when getting on/off the bike.

VA doesn't allow "in the ear" speakers but is silent on wearing plain earplugs. Doesn't really matter though, cause regardless of the law, I'm wearing my earplugs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts