GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I'm considering a early December trip back to the Southwest to blow out some cobwebs. My plan is south Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada.

What type of weather is normal for this time of year keeping in mind that I'll probably stay south of a line running roughly from Amarillo, TX - Albuquerque, NM - Las Vegas, NV.

I'll do Big Bend again and just skirt the southen side of the mountains maybe heading for Death Valley.

Any advice on stay away froms.....or must dos?

Trip will be solo and mostly camping with the Leesure-Lite.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
That is so hard to predict. Could be mid 50's to 60's duiring the afternoon or in places it could be snow. Too soon to tell. Last year at Christmas I did N. Ariz and S. Utah and temps were in the 40's and 50's clear and dry. Who knows what this year will bring.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Keep a eye on the weather around Flagstaff, drove truck around there for ten years and you can find ice on some of the cleanest looking roads. From Holbrook to Seligman, the main thing is keep a eye on the weather around there.

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
JR&JR said:
Keep a eye on the weather around Flagstaff.
Yup. I left Phoenix one March heading to Montana and got caught in a terrible blizzard there. Slid through stop signs. It was raining when I left Phoenix. The worst part of the trip was Flagstaff and about an hour or so North of there. You never know.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Stay on or South of Interstate 10 going across and you will probably be OK ... 40 can get you in trouble in the Winter ....

I live North of interstate 40 and ride most of the year, but there are times when it is impossible to ride.

JMHO :lol:

·
Registered
977 Posts
The higher elevations, overnight temperatures easily reach 32 F., for the A.M. exit from the sleeping bag/tent - or - the middle of the night potty visit! The 'high desert' is several thousand feet, in elevation.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
We did southern AZ last xmas and it was cool in the morning 40-45 but really nice during the day. Like Tom said stay down south and you should be out of the snow. Tim

T

·
0 Posts
I would not do I-40 in December. I live near Moriarty, NM. which is on I-40. From around the Texas/New Mexico line you will start climbing to over 7000' at Clines Corners. Then down into the Estancia Valley, and back up to 7000' at Sedillo. That stretch of I-40 can be treacherous at that time of year, not to mention very cold! Then from Albuquerque west, it can get a lot worse. Gallup gets below zero at times. There are semi wrecks all the time.
I have made that trip in March and April in snow storms. It ain't fun.
Take the suthun route!

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Hard to do Utah, and stay south. Otherwise I agee with everyone else, as I said you'll just have to get out here and see what the weather is like. If it is good enough to go up north a bit, well then it doesn't get any better. No crowds and cheap rooms.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts