GL1800Riders Forums banner

Do you use any type of in-ear hearing protection while motorcycling?

• Yes

Votes: 60 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 40 35.4%
  • It depends...

Votes: 14 12.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty compelling article about the benefits of wearing ear protection while motorcycling:

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Good hearing protection reduces all sound sources.

Both the desired and undesired sounds are reduced in volume.

Does it make motorcycling safer? I don't know.
But hearing protection will reduce damage to your hearing.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I always wear hearing protection.

On long days I use foam plugs because they’re the most comfortable.

I’m still in search of the perfect plugs. Has anyone tried the Alpine brand?

·
Canuck
2,803 Posts
I would want to read an independent study before I would trust a manufacturer of earplugs telling me that I need them. Kinda like Chevy telling me that a Chevy is the safest car on the road. :D
At the end of the article the author says "Note: We are not sponsored or have any affiliation with Alpine Hearing and make no money from sales
This article updated: May 2020". The article is written by Pikipikioverland.com, not Alpine. Is there a connection? No idea.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I always wore ear protection on other bikes that I have owned prior to the wing. All my sportbike. With the wing there is plenty of fairing and windshield protection that I do not wear earplugs any longer because of the reduced noise levels.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Best ear plugs I've had have been ones that were made from a mould of the ear.

Best set was by a company that came to workplace and made them for everybody.
2nd best was ones made by a business that also made/fitted hearing aids.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think hearing protection is part of ATGATT . I have hearing loss from lots of time on the flight line in the Vietnam era and being stupid with guns and explosives. Got to protect what's left.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Did a lot of shooting, chain-sawing, and motor-sporting as a young 'un = tinnitus. I use the Pinlock earplugs, they are rubber "triple tree" designs with a plastic/mesh filter down the center to let in certain frequencies. They block a lot of sound but don't give you that "dead head" feeling that makes it uncomfortable to chew a sandwich with them in.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I used ear peace with good success. Now, I use my Bose active noise canceling ear buds with the audio and intercom connection. I have hearing loss and use hearing aids, and I seem to be particulary bothered by wind and road noise... and there is plenty of that on my F6B even with aftermarket windshield.
If anything makes me quit motorcycling it will be the noise. I’m a bit surprised there are no good solutions offered by helmet manufacturers, comm gear or others. Seems to me appropriate noise canceling could be figured out, passive or active. Instead of the constant experimenting I see on this forum. But, its hard to get a good hearing aid solution in a normal environment too.
Noise, the next frontier.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I must be lucky....worked on the road crew for a local rock band in the 70's so I was exposed to loud music 5 nights a week....worked in the NYC subway for 13+ years around loud trains.....been around aircraft noise for 30+ years and been riding for 44 years without earplugs for any of that. Still no hearing loss. Then again, I've never had a flu shot and only had the flu once.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Same here. I don't get the flu shot or wear earplugs ever. I've tried many, and all they did for me was make me feel like my ears are plugged, and the feeling makes me sick in short time.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have always tried to protect my hearing when around anything I think is loud enough to do damage and it has paid off as my hearing is still very good at 70 (my wife would disagree) but I have never worn earplugs while riding. My helmet and the windscreen seem to offer enough wind noise insulation that I don't feel it is necessary.

I also don't put much credence in an article that is tied to a specific product. It might be a great product but I just don't like the optics. I would much rather see an unbiased review of all the competing products.

·
Vendor
21,574 Posts
Ear protection is even more critical for long distance riders. Hearing damage occurs from long term exposure to even moderately loud noise, so 8 hours in the saddle for 5 days in a row can do permanent damage if you don't use ear plugs.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
When I'm about to jump on a long, fast freeway ride than yes I will take the time. When I'm taking my 20 minute ride to work and speeds will not exceed 65 mph than no.

We also raise the shield on our 2008 Wing to cut wind noise and we have that rear airfoil that Kuryakyn made. My wife swears by it and if it keeps her happy it was worth the purchase price.

My ears are (pardon the pun) shot (standing in front of jet engines and lots of shooting as a USAF COP). Actual hearing loss has me deaf until about 40-60db in the higher frequencies. Constant tinnitus in the right ear that can keep me awake at night. Audiologist wants me to get hearing aides but the examples I tried didn't improve the situation much. Plus if I got the hearing aides I would no longer have the excuse for not hearing my wife when she is calling for me to do something I don't want to do.😁

This might sound funny but does anyone feel like they are on a different motorcycle (maybe electric) when wearing ear plugs?

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Hearing loss and tinnitus due to working on fighter jets in Vietnam and then around heavy equipment and being stupid and never wearing the proper ear protection until about 15 yrs ago. Young & stupid didn't help the situation any. :( First pair of hearing aids through the VA didn't help very much will probably go back to try another pair.
One thing that I noticed wearing ear protection was that after a full day of riding with ear protection I wasn't as tired at the end of the day.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I know I should wear the hearing plugs and actually bought a set of the ear peace ones. I do now have a semi regular ringing in both ears that becomes more noticeable when sitting in quiet environments. I tried the foam ones and had a hard time getting them in. And it would cause pain when wearing helmets (which I do all the time). For some reason, it would cause more pressure on my ears and became very uncomfortable. The ear peace ones dont seem to cause any issues but I have on several occasions had problems pulling them back out again. Although I can still hear and hold conversations with them in, I just dont want them in there permanently, LOL! But one thing I did notice and it was pointed out in the article and mentioned in a couple other posts, I didnt feel as beat up on road trips at the end of the day. I never realized how wind noise would affect you like that until after actually trying it. I have to start remembering to use them more often now...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts