GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Homelink was one of my first purchases, that and fog lights for added visibility. I bought these both together to install the buttons at the same time. Thanks to the video from Helibars, getting the console off to install the buttons was not hard and did not require disassembly of the front of the bike. But I was not looking forward to installing the module and harness.

After watching Cruiseman's video of the Honda procedure- taking apart much of the back of the bike and then Max McAllister's video showing the install of the wiring harness with the trunk in place, I decided to try something easier, and had success. After removing the seat, I dropped down the latch assembly inside the saddlebag as shown in both videos and then located the both sides of the grommet plugging the hole that the Homelink harness passes through. I removed the grommet and fed a 30" cable tie through the hole and easily routed it along the same space the harness is to be routed to the existing gray plug under the seat.
I then taped the harness plug (black module end) to the cable tie, applied silicone grease to the harness grommet and pulled the harness into place. Very easy to feed through the hole in the saddlebag. Getting the grommet in was a pain but with a long screwdriver pushing/poking the back of the grommet, I worked it into the hole. Then I installed the module, reinstalled the latch assembly, plugged the other end of the harness into the bike and replaced the seat and side covers. The whole job (module and harness) took around an hour.

Programming was snap: Take an existing door opener, power up the bike, press the door opener button and one of the buttons on bike at the same time and watch the Homelink light on the dash. It blinks slowly at first then rapidly, indicating the code has been learned. Press the bike's Homelink button twice the first time- the door opens (or closes), then once to open or close as usual.

It will be nice to be able to open the garage door as I approach it without stopping, taking a glove off and fiddling with an opener.

·
Registered
316 Posts
After removing the seat, I dropped down the latch assembly inside the saddlebag as shown in both videos and then located the both sides of the grommet plugging the hole that the Homelink harness passes through. I removed the grommet and fed a 30" cable tie through the hole and easily routed it along the same space the harness is to be routed to the existing gray plug under the seat.
I then taped the harness plug (black module end) to the cable tie, applied silicone grease to the harness grommet and pulled the harness into place. Very easy to feed through the hole in the saddlebag. Getting the grommet in was a pain but with a long screwdriver pushing/poking the back of the grommet, I worked it into the hole. Then I installed the module, reinstalled the latch assembly, plugged the other end of the harness into the bike and replaced the seat and side covers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was wondering why Max didn't think of that. My Dad was an electrician and we always PULLED wire through runs or conduits. You can't PUSH a wire very far or through any tight spaces...

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I still had to loosen the bag and loosen enough of the side of the trunk to get a little space between the frame and saddlebag. But that grommet was still a huge pain, even with silicone spray. I did not know about the "5-minute" button panel removal until will after I had that installed. But I did use the "5-munute" button panel removal later for another task a few weeks later. In any case, the top shelter removal to get the buttons in also had a bunch of other wiring done where I needed it of anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts