GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to install a new system and I am wanting your feed back on each system good and bad on both, how long to install, and if you are happy. I also want it removable to have in our cages also. Do they both need a modulator installed. Thanks all....

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
You really want to determine the programming that suits you better and go from there. Both have good options for equipment.

·
Registered
126 Posts
12 volts and an anntenna on both is all the hookup there is,mounting the unit as hard or ez as you want.i used velcro by the wing logo on the dash and take it off and put it in the car,i have an anntenna on both. i like the sirius and have heard others say the same, better music selection.will have nascar in 07 if you like taxi races. if you live near a big truck stop take a look there as they are popular with us truckers.xx

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I choose Sirius...but be aware that the radio's use different voltages. Not a big deal to get a regulator hooked to it......but you gotta know when you need one. I think all Sirius is 12v.....not 100% sure. Easy hook-up, and check into a short wire antenna for the wing at Dallas Motorcycle Accessories. Sorta expensive but looks nice not having all that wire bundled around the handle bars (although there are other optional places to put them), plus you can use the one that comes with the radio on the cage.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
If you could be more specific, that could help.

Do you want opinions on the systems themselves as far as programming or do you want opinions on mounting and installation?

Like was said on here, as far as programming, its a personal choice.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Input on both installation and thoughts on programming. I know they run about the same monthly fee, I just would like what is easier on the bike install, and if they both need a hard wired modulator....

G

·
Very easy to install with mine (took about ten minutes). As Lewis pointed out the important thing is what you want to listen to. I chose Sirius because it has more channels of the type of stuff I listen to (like taxi cab races lol).
There are after market brackets for both, or velcro as mentioned in an earlier post (which is what I use too).
I use the radio station interphase rather than hardwire to the aux. and have had no problems.

Pat

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the radio interphase? I want to do this right the first time. I also would rather have a good mount, than use velcro.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The XM radios have a setup that broadcasts at a very low level so the add-on radio can be recieved by your radio at frequency you choose. Sort of defeats the purpose of having satellite radio in my opinion because, it will no longer be at the best quality.
XM and Sirius are broadcast digitally so that, if they are hardwired, you get better than CD quality most, if not all, of the time.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
It is of course a digital broadcast....but it is very compressed....so I don't think it's that close to CD quality at all. Least not in my ears. FM radio sounds much better to me. I guess you get used to it. Maybe it gets decompressed once the radio receives it....but I'm not real impressed with the quality, at least as compared to CD's.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I use the Aux input, and I have the ground loop hootus. Got the plugs and cables from you in fact. The quality is pretty good.....but I don't think it's as good as FM or CD's. I am in the process of adding Edsets. Got the wife's in today. she says they sound better. Mine will follow....have it.....just got to put it in. Anyway....maybe it's just my set-up somehow......but I'm not feeling or hearing the CD quality. Am I in the minority on this one?? I mean if you pushthe FM and listen to a station and then push the Aux and hear the Sirius I notice a fair difference. You guys don't hear that??

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was going to use the aux input, I also hear that some of Sirius recievers have better fm modulators than there other recievers,so which one has the better modulator? :22yikes:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I think you should get the service you can spell - It will make it easier to write the check

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sirius..... O Darn the luck, sorry you never made a spelling mistake.. :22yikes:

·
Registered
444 Posts
I bought a box at Best Buy (they were the only ones I could find that had one) taht is made for the sirius radio. It goes between the stock fm antenna and the radio. I can put the radio on any station and tune the Sirius radio to the same one and there is absolutely no static. You never have to change the fm tuner on the sirius or the car radio. It cost 30.00. I am in my truck all day covering a territory of about 125 square miles. I am going to get one for the bike and eliminate having to use the AUX for that and hook up my GPS to the AUX.
To use the stock fm radio simply turn the sirius radio off.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I went with XM because of programing. I mounted it with a RAM mount, and hard wired the power with a filter, and wired into the AUX under the left hand glove box. All the mounts, filters and wires I purchased from Cycle Gadgets (you can even get the radio there if you want).

[/url]http://cyclegadgets.com/Products/?cat=SATRAD[/url]

Total install time was about 45 minutes. Piece of cake.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Not all the Sirius units are 12v. The new "universal" mount for the Sportster 3-4, Starmate 3-4and Stratus are 5v.

Rick

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
bkrbil said:
I went with XM because of programing. I mounted it with a RAM mount, and hard wired the power with a filter, and wired into the AUX under the left hand glove box. All the mounts, filters and wires I purchased from Cycle Gadgets (you can even get the radio there if you want).

[/url]http://cyclegadgets.com/Products/?cat=SATRAD[/url]

Total install time was about 45 minutes. Piece of cake.

Only thing your missing on that dash is an antenna with a short wire from Dallas Motorcycle Acessories. Would make all those gadgets complete!!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Speaking only for XM, I choose the Commandore that uses and RF box on the antenna line. Can mount it on side wall of the trunk, and the head module can be velcroed to the tank top. When not in use or bad weather, head module is stuck in right hand locking pocket. Had a Dephia unit, but got tired of installing and removing everytime i stopped the bike, even with a ram mount. (was nice mount). XMs pocket to go unit could sit in a pocket and transmit the RF signal to an FM channel, or sit in your shirt pocket. Problem being battery last only 4-5 hours then. So the pocket choice, with DC powered module would be best. No channel changing would be easy thou, because it would be inside the pocket. Lots of luck with your future tunes!! Happy New Year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts