GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friends 2003 GL w/36,000 miles, is having a winning noise that is more pronounced right after start up. It seems to be coming from the alternator. Is there and easier way to remove the alternator than in the repair manual?

·
Registered
227 Posts
cmore,I have a 2005 with 35000 on it and it has a loud whinning noise right after start up.I think this is normal for the alternator when it is loaded up.I don't know about a faster way to change out,but I would wait for the alternator to start discharging before I replaced it,because I thing you will have a noise in the new one.Unless of course this noise is extremly loud like a bearing is failing.It really shouldn't be a hard job,just follow the instruction on disconnecting the battery before you start.John

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
First of all make sure you have an alternator problem, and not a alt drive problem. On my bike the tech at the dealership removed the battery and battery box and left the tank in place. There is one bolt on the backside that he uses a strap looped around the ext to guide onto the the bolt. Hope this helps.

Ed Jenkins, Pawnee, Il
07, 2,000 miles

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ed

I ask him to check it.

The noise just started a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
You may have a batt going bad.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update.

The friends problem turned out to be a bad bearing in the alternator.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
cmore said:
Update.

The friends problem turned out to be a bad bearing in the alternator.
Was he able to get the bearing replaced or did he have to get a new alternator?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Alternator

My riding buddies 03 GL1800 had bearings making a noise in alternator. The alternator was removed by removing the 3 securement bolts and it was not necessary to remove seat, tank. etc. New brushes and bearings eliminated the noise.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He took it to a local Starter/Alternator repair shop and they replaced the bearing.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Starwing.

How did they get to the bolts? Was it lay-ed on it's side and removed from the bottom?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts