GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2021 6 speed Wing, 2021 Kawasaki Z900RS, 2019 Road Glide
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering adding a trailer hitch to my '21, so I'm looking for the easiest install, but a quality hitch. Considering Bushtec, Custom Touring Designs and Rivco. Any first had experiences on ease of install for any of these? Any I may be overlooking?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I installed the Rivco hitch myself very straight forward and easy install. It bolts to the frame not the subframe where the saddlebags mount. You have to cut one nut off a tip over bar but that was very easy took about 1 min with a grinder. You can use a hacksaw or sawzall no problem. I have used it for 3 years now pulling a trailer or my pakit rak very solid very happy with it. Changed my rear tire a couple times does not interfere with tire change. Youtube has a very detailed video on how to install.

Reactions: JF11

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
3,111 Posts
In my humble opinion, for whatever that's worth, the "ease" of which a hitch is installed is not quite as important as the quality of the hitch itself. I recently ran a thread, about 1/2 a month ago about the inquiry of two different hitches. One, a Rivco and the other, a no-name brand on ebay that looked for all intent and purpose, EXACTLY like the Rivco. I might add that, at that time, the Rivco was out of stock in a few suppliers.

At that time, the Rivco, when you could get one, was listed at $350 or so, depending on just where you found it. This no-name version on ebay was listed at $126.00. When you looked at the pics of it, it was the EXACT same layout, piece for piece. I thought about it for a couple of days and thought what the heck, the ad says "make offer". So, I offered $110 for it. The seller came back at $118. I hit the ORDER button.

Well, I received it a few days later and I have to say, it was boxed nicer and with more security than many, many things I've received on both ebay and Amazon. It was VERY WELL PROTECTED. I cannot speak for a Rivco from first hand experience but, I can say that this no-name $118 hitch is top notch. With the exception fo the tongue, all pieces are very high quality powder coating. The tongue is chrome plated.

There were/are no install instructions with it. So, being that this no-name hitch is identical to the Rivco, I simply went online and found the install instructions for the Rivco and printed them out. Everything is very straight forward. This is not a complicated hitch install at all. And yes, you do have to remove one tacked on nut from one of the components of the bike. Why anyone would waist even one second worrying about the effort to remove this nut is beyond me. Heck even a dremel will do it.

I think it took me about 15 seconds to remove it and do some fine touch-up to make the are flat, as described in the instructions. Then, while the metal was hot from the friction of cutting and sanding, I threw a coat of flat black paint on it which, dried in seconds.

With me screwing around and taking breaks here and there simply because I can, the total install took me about two to three hours, plus or minus. Again, with lots of breaks.

Now, here's one caveat. I installed this hitch and with the bike's rear tire and suspension unloaded, that is it's sitting on the center stand, my car tire which is a 205-55-16, had about 1/2" clearance between the outer corners of the tire and the inner corners of the hitch. I calculated the suspension/tire travel and thought all would be fine, WRONG!

When I got on the bike, I noticed it was rubbing immediately. So, I found out another member on here had the same issue with his car tire and he created a very, very simple remedy. And that was to make a simple bracket that when installed, assisted the center receiver to be slid rearward approximately 1 3/16" inch. That created MILES of clearance for that 205 of mine. I am now a happy camper.

If your running the stock 200 tire that came on the bike, you'll have ZERO issues with fitment using this $126.00 hitch. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. I linked it in another thread but I think we're not supposed to do that on here. Just my two cents.
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the input. I offered $114 with free shipping. I would never have taken a chance on it without your input. I was ready to order a Bushtec, I called and emailed with a question 10 days ago. No response to either. CTD seems to always be out of stock.
I'll post my thoughts once I get the hitch.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
3,111 Posts
By the way,
The instructions say you DO have to remove the mufflers. That too is not even a worry. All you need to do is, loosen the forward clamp some, and remove ONE bolt that is the hanger bolt about half way down the length of the muffler. Then, with some very, very minor wiggling left and right and a tad up and down all while using a slight pulling action from behind, you can see that the muffler begins to separate from the pipe. Within a matter of a few seconds, the muffler drops off. It's not even a concern.
Scott

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
I installed the Rivco hitch myself very straight forward and easy install. It bolts to the frame not the subframe where the saddlebags mount. You have to cut one nut off a tip over bar but that was very easy took about 1 min with a grinder. You can use a hacksaw or sawzall no problem. I have used it for 3 years now pulling a trailer or my pakit rak very solid very happy with it. Changed my rear tire a couple times does not interfere with tire change. Youtube has a very detailed video on how to install.
I was looking at wingstuff and they do not carry the rivco anymore. I need one for my 2022 manual tour.

·
Registered
586 Posts

·
Registered
‘21 Tour DCT
135 Posts
So you guys that installed the CTD hitch, what receiver's are you using? Are there different brands receivers that are usable with the CTD hitch? The reason I am asking is that hopefully in the future I will need a Unigo hitch receiver, and would really like to use the CTD hitch.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,953 Posts
So you guys that installed the CTD hitch, what receiver's are you using? Are there different brands receivers that are usable with the CTD hitch? The reason I am asking is that hopefully in the future I will need a Unigo hitch receiver, and would really like to use the CTD hitch.
My concern with towing a Uni Go with this newest model is the side to side flex with the hitch...with the old model the Bushtec hitch was attached to the bottom of the subframe with U bolts to brace the hitch to prevent any side to side flex with the hitch....with the old model the Bushtec hitch was the best choice for a single wheel trailer because of its bracing to prevent any side to side flex.

With this newest model, none of the current hitches attach to anything under the bike to prevent any side to side flex with the hitch...a single wheel trailer puts more stress at the connection of the hitch and that connection point needs to be as ridged as possible.

The Rivco hitch lower hoop is a angle iron design and will resist side to side flex better than Bushtecs small tubing design...that's why I went with the Rivco over the Bushtec with this model. I don't know how the lower hoop is constructed with the CTD hitch...is it small tubing like the Bushtec or is it angle iron design like the Rivco...just something to think about with a single wheel trailer.

·
Registered
‘21 Tour DCT
135 Posts
Roadie- Good stuff to think about. Looking at the CTD installation video the lower arms do have angle steel welded on, and attach using three bolts on each arm near the front of the arm. They do look pretty secure.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My concern with towing a Uni Go with this newest model is the side to side flex with the hitch...with the old model the Bushtec hitch was attached to the bottom of the subframe with U bolts to brace the hitch to prevent any side to side flex with the hitch....with the old model the Bushtec hitch was the best choice for a single wheel trailer because of its bracing to prevent any side to side flex.

With this newest model, none of the current hitches attach to anything under the bike to prevent any side to side flex with the hitch...a single wheel trailer puts more stress at the connection of the hitch and that connection point needs to be as ridged as possible.

The Rivco hitch lower hoop is a angle iron design and will resist side to side flex better than Bushtecs small tubing design...that's why I went with the Rivco over the Bushtec with this model. I don't know how the lower hoop is constructed with the CTD hitch...is it small tubing like the Bushtec or is it angle iron design like the Rivco...just something to think about with a single wheel trailer.
I have the CTD hitch and tow an N-Line one wheeled trailer and haven't noticed any side to side movement. I towed it on a 5000 mile trip this past summer and it worked just fine with no issues what so ever.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mind if I ask what receiver you have for that hitch?
Automotive tire Mode of transport Automotive exterior Tree Automotive mirror

So I have the stock slide-in receiver that comes with CTD's hitch. N-Line sells a bolt on adapter that has 1/2 the "C" shaped piece that mates up with the trailer end.

I did cut off some of the flat area on the receiver as it was too long for my needs. Then I had a friend weld the area where the bolt-on piece meets the receiver piece as well as bolt it together. It looks like it's just bolted together but it's welded and bolted if that makes sense. Works really well and was solid on my ride this summer from Mexicali, Mexico to Penticton, BC Canada.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,953 Posts
View attachment 410986
So I have the stock slide-in receiver that comes with CTD's hitch. N-Line sells a bolt on adapter that has 1/2 the "C" shaped piece that mates up with the trailer end.

I did cut off some of the flat area on the receiver as it was too long for my needs. Then I had a friend weld the area where the bolt-on piece meets the receiver piece as well as bolt it together. It looks like it's just bolted together but it's welded and bolted if that makes sense. Works really well and was solid on my ride this summer from Mexicali, Mexico to Penticton, BC Canada.
Good job with moving the connection point back closer to the rear wheel....it should always be as close to the rear wheel as you can get..

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
I'm considering adding a trailer hitch to my '21, so I'm looking for the easiest install, but a quality hitch. Considering Bushtec, Custom Touring Designs and Rivco. Any first had experiences on ease of install for any of these? Any I may be overlooking?
In the process of installing the rivco on my 2022 tour manual. It is not easy no matter which way you go. We did not have to take the mufflers off. Dealing Friday with the 6 pin round from my old trailer and bought the matching female part from a trailer sales place. It will be attached under the rear trunk. Trailer end will slide right end after opening the spring loaded female end. Keeps everything off the ground. Hope we finish up on mine Friday. Len sure knows what he is doing.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
In the process of installing the rivco on my 2022 tour manual. It is not easy no matter which way you go. We did not have to take the mufflers off. Dealing Friday with the 6 pin round from my old trailer and bought the matching female part from a trailer sales place. It will be attached under the rear trunk. Trailer end will slide right end after opening the spring loaded female end. Keeps everything off the ground. Hope we finish up on mine Friday. Len sure knows what he is doing.
How did you install the Rivco with out removing the mufflers, I would like a CTD hitch but I do not think they will ever produce any more hitch's and I have my reasoning for this thought but I will not post it on the open forum.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,953 Posts
I've watched the installation video of the CTD and the Rivco hitch and both are high quialty hitches....but there is min. differences with the installation between the two. The Rivco requires taking a few minutes to remove the muffers...which really opens up the area and let's you get at the bolts very easily which I actually liked myself....but ease of installation certainly is not a reason to choose one over the other as both are really the same job more or less IMO.

As for availability with the CTD...I'm sure the Chinese will steal the design and sell a copy of the CTD hitch like they stole from Rivco and sell a copy of the Rivco...stay tuned to eBay for the Chinese knock offs

1 - 20 of 24 Posts