GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
2002 GL1800ABS Illusion Red, 1999 CBR1100XX Super Blackbird.
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here they come.

The 17 year brood of Cicadas are emerging. This will be the 4th time in my riding career dealing with these bugs. Yeah, I know, they don't bite or sting but if you hit one on unprotected skin at speed they do STING. If one is able to find it's way into your helmet it won't be pleasant. I suppose I should buy some fresh hydrogen peroxide for the windshield. For those of us that don't have a mesh grill protecting our air intakes, expect to find a few next time you change the air filter. Fun times for the next couple weeks. The good news is their sound ought to drown out the Harleys. 馃槣

Reactions: raw2210

Registered
Last time they were out big time and I was doing the bike trails,after I got done I had to shake off my shirt and helmet of all the free riders that were attached. Im not looking forward to them.

Registered
An article in our local paper (Maryland) said that populations can be as high as 1.5 million per acre! o_O

Registered
And they will find their way into the deep dark recesses of your bike. Fortunately, they don't cause many problems. Just annoying.

I was living in Maryland 34 years ago when they came out.Quite an experience.:)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was living in Maryland 34 years ago when they came out. Quite an experience.:)
[/QUOTE]

OldAge,
34 years ago I was living in Maryland too, Catonsville to be specific. In May of 1970 I returned from Europe into BWI. The drone of the jet engines merged with the drone of the Cicadas. After awhile I realized the "drone" was that of the Cicadas, not the jet. It went on for for what seemed like days on end. Thankfully, due to degradation of the ecosystem, others here that read this post will most probably think we are "overstating" the (as you said) ,"quite an experience". Like you, OldAge, I can relate. For the short 2 weeks they were around I endured the indignity of the "bugs". "Mother Earth" fascinated me with this display. Glad I have ear plugs this time around but, I bet it won't be near as loud. <==sadly

Reactions: OldAge

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
only East of the Mississippi ?
Yeah, that's the way its been but maybe they're expanding their range. So, how do you know if a motorcyclist is happy? They've got bugs on their teeth.

For a fella that's logged as many miles as you, I suspect bugs are just an appetizer. A peroxide rinse will take care of it. 馃槇

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can speak from experience that for the period they are out, you will want a windshield and a face shield!!
Don't forget neck protection too! Those buggers will find whatever skin your have exposed.

Registered
I hit a swarm of bees at 70 mph once.

Thought I got hit by a shotgun!

Amazing I was able to pull off safely!

Administrator
So, has anyone had these critters show up yet? I 'heard' that the soil has to be 64* before they come up. The way our weathers' been over the last few weeks, they might not show until Sept!

Registered
Not here. it was still snowing in northern Ohio on Saturday 馃槀

Reactions: Bullet Bob

Registered
Range of Brood X (which comes out this year)

15 year Member
WE DEMAND RIDING VIDEOS !!!! NO VIDEOS OF THIS PHENOMENON MEANS IT DID NOT HAPPEN....

Please members, I BEG you to post videos of this event... truly fascinating....

mattbcnv

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here they come.

The 17 year brood of Cicadas are emerging. This will be the 4th time in my riding career dealing with these bugs. Yeah, I know, they don't bite or sting but if you hit one on unprotected skin at speed they do STING. If one is able to find it's way into your helmet it won't be pleasant. I suppose I should buy some fresh hydrogen peroxide for the windshield. For those of us that don't have a mesh grill protecting our air intakes, expect to find a few next time you change the air filter. Fun times for the next couple weeks. The good news is their sound ought to drown out the Harleys. 馃槣

View attachment 383096

Sorry for the false alarm, ya'all.

Thanks to Urbanization, Deforestation and over use of Insecticides the impact of the "locusts" has been diminished over our life times. I was prepared for the onslaught that never occurred and reveled in riding without the "bugs" beating me to death, BUT, in the end it just reaffirms my belief, the decline is upon us. I would have gladly forgone my "buzzing around" for a couple of weeks on the bike yielding to Mother Nature, but I didn't have to. Make of it what you will.
I, for one, sadly, am not reassured.

Over and out. 馃寧馃檹

NCBirdMan

Registered
Never caught in a swarm of cicadas, but have been caught hitting a swarm of mayflies while crossing the Mississippi in the early evening. Almost instantly blinded by my faceshield and windscreen being covered with the sticky critters. A wet cloth did almost nothing. Pretty scary experience.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts