GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the weather really like in Eastern Oregon? Contemplating a move to the Umatilla area, perhaps a bit south. Maybe riding /driving to Walla Walla to work. Yeah, it's about an hour, i know. But all i see is on the boob tube is Portland and rain all the time. Is Eastern Oregon like that, too? my passion is riding. Currently live an hour from the Colorado Rocky Mountains so i know good riding. Thank y'all for the information. I figger (born and bred in the deep south) the best people to know a region are fellow motorcyclists. Ain't afraid of rain but my wife doesn't like it a bit.
Twitch
Aurora, Co

·
Registered
5,698 Posts

·
Registered
7,935 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ummmm---That website will tell you everything you need to know about Umatilla, Florida!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Northeast Oregon

Hello Twitch. Mike here, in La Grande, Oregon. Just saw your post. La Grande is about 90 miles southeast of Umatilla, and we're a half mile in elevation right between a couple of national forests, so our climate and geography are quite a bit different than the Umatilla area. But I've spent a fair amount of time in the Umatilla, Milton-Freewater, Walla Walla, and Tri-Cities (Pasco, Kennewick, Richland) areas.

The area you're looking at is arid. It's desert. Umatilla is right on the Columbia River, and heavy fog can blanket the Columbia Basin quite often in the winter. Winters can get cold, with snow and black ice. Keep that in mind if you're looking at having to commute to Walla Walla on a daily basis. Also, the distance between Umatilla and Walla Walla is quite a distance to commute. Summers are hot and dry. If you wish to stay in Northeast Oregon, have you considered landing in the Milton-Freewater area? I've been told that Walla Walla is somewhat cooler in the summer than the Tri-Cities and Umatilla.

If you would live in Walla Walla, or College Place, you would pay no state income tax, since there is none in Washington. I know that a lot of folks in the Walla Walla area jump over into Oregon to shop, since Oregon has no state sales tax. Just something to consider. Hope this helps. Bye. <M>

Mike
"In The Blue Mountains,
On The Oregon Trail"
2012 Level II

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Ummmm---That website will tell you everything you need to know about Umatilla, Florida!
:oops::oops::oops: Trying to wash that egg off my face right now. Sorry Twitch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts