GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
Just cut off a std water bottle just below the tapered neck . The screw top will screw into the bike just enough for a drip free funnel. Try it Gary

You can also buy a real funnel for $1 anywhere. If your doing oil changes they are a must. Heck, I probably have 6 or 7 laying around.:smile2:

·
Registered
922 Posts
I've been doing this or years, must have 5 or 6 laying around now..

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
To each their own...
but I'd worry 'bout gettin' a plastic shaving in my crankcase oil if I screwed it into those metal machine threads, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

If those threads in the engine case can do that to something screwing in, it can do it to the funnel insert too. Besides, you are not screwing it in all the way, just enough to hold it there and then stop turning it. I don't think the threads are that sharp enough to start taking bits of plastic off unless you try to run the threads in all the way down to cross-thread it. But I do like the idea in case you need to add some for whatever reason when on a trip. No need to buy a funnel you will end up tossing, just grab a bottle of water (you may want to buy one any way) and you will have your clean funnel that will be easy to dry off.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
That is a great idea--cheap, practical, green, and best of all it will save me one vector for my wife's getting angry with me for using her funnels when I can't find one of the 12 or so that have hidden themselves around the garage.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Great idea -- you solved a problem I don't have -- I just use one of my funnels and pour carefully.

But it is a good observation

Reactions: Farmguy
1 - 15 of 15 Posts