GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got home from a wonderful ride with two of my buddies where we traced the Easy Rider movie from California to Louisana. Using this as an excuse, my wife and I rode from the Austin area out to San Diego for our 37th anniversary and that in itself made the trip worth it. She decided that she didn't want to tag along with three "boys" on a "man" trip so she flew home. Due to some wrong turns by them, I met them in Flagstaff instead of Barstow so they had done a few of the sites but we headed out and stopped by the gas station (no longer there - a common theme of this trip) and then added trips to Monument Valley etc. all along the way. We also mixed in a side trip to Madrid NM (NOTE...do NOT take the shortcut off of I 25 - four miles of rough paved road and four miles of rough dirt road) and it is kind of sad to see only Maggie's Diner ( a store not a diner) as the only business in town that acknowledges the movie. She said that most of the town doesn't want any mention of it but she was really the only business in town with much business. The highlight of the trip was yesterday in and around Morganza LA. The diner where Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper and Jack Nicholson went in was bought out by the local church and torn down but there is a nice plaque in the side walk with an etching of the Captain America bike and the names of all the locals that were in the scene. We were talking pictures when a man pulled up in his truck and said "Nice bikes and in that deep south Louisiana drawl said something else...I am number seven on the list....It was Arnold Hess Jr., the deputy in the diner AND the deputy of the town. He is a cattleman now, very nice but wasn't too complementary of the "stars" of the cast as they basically set them up to get the reaction they wanted for the film. He said as soon as they all figured out what the movie was really about they had nothing to do with it....in fact they rewrote the ending because they offered Mr. Hess and extra $15 to be the one that shot Peter Fonda and he turned it down. We then went to the road where they were shot and did the obligatory lay down and act like we were shot (I told you this was a big boy trip). No plaques or anything to designate the spot but we found it by talking to the locals, looking at movie scenes and comparing to the maps.
Personally I thought the movie was badly made, acted as though they were high on drugs (they were) but it is a bit of Americana and gave us our annual excuse to ride and act like kids.

PS...if you want to go some place on the road and shoot guns then I highly recommend Raton NM and the NRA Whittington center, stay in the competitors cabins ($26 per night) and shoot. We had about 600 rounds amongst us and had a blast for a couple of hours and then hit the road.

I am home on my 2010 Gold Wing, which yesterday was the 5th month to the day since I picked it up with one mile on it...I pulled into the garage with 10714 miles. My buddies old worn out Harley Ultra Classic is limping home to Indiana today as is the other guy on a BMW 1200.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Sounds like an interesting trip. I'll have to watch the movie again now!

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Sound like a neat thing to do!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
That's the way to travel !!!. Otherwise, you are just spinning the odometer.

I find that a little extra planning, some research, reading and a theme to the trip makes it that much more meaningful and enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Sounds like a cool trip, I agree on the movie, I like some of the sound track, I would have been happy if they had just played the music and showed them riding on the bikes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sounds like a fun trip; I was thinking about taking one the entire length of the old Route 66 in a future summer! I love a road trip adventure!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Excellent idea ! Would be nice to post the route/highlights on a map or directions. Id love to hit a few spots if in the neighborhood . . . .

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
we went to the Honda Hoot,in 98, and on the way there we stopped in Cherokee,and stayed in Macs Cabins.
A couple of years later,I was watching the end of a movie on TV,called "Digging to China",and saw that it was filmed on location there.
It was a pretty neat place,but I have heard that it closed up a few years ago.

·
Administrator
3,916 Posts
Dan, when we (hopefully) get together during the TTT in a couple of weeks I want to get more details about this ride. When I retire in the very near future I want to do a few "themed" rides, such as the Route 66, and the 287 Highway.

Hope to see you soon, if life doesn't get in the way.

Glen

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Easy Rider

I can't believe you guys would do that trip with only 600 rounds between you.
The other two guys were on a Harley Ultra and a BMW and they went from Florida and Indiana to Sturgis and through the Pacific NW etc. I was the only one on a Wing and pulling my Tailwind. They didn't have enough space so I carried most of the stuff for them. Yes, we needed a lot of more but the Whittington Center is fantastic. The people are the best.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Easy Rider

Dan, when we (hopefully) get together during the TTT in a couple of weeks I want to get more details about this ride. When I retire in the very near future I want to do a few "themed" rides, such as the Route 66, and the 287 Highway.

Hope to see you soon, if life doesn't get in the way.

Glen
You had better be there. My wife is going but she is flying into Cedar City after a family reunion. I am coming in from a flight early on the 9th and am thinking of doing a Bun Burner or at least a Saddle Sore on the way out, leaving on the 10th...maybe earlier if I can get someone to fly the last trip for me.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Dan,

Are you sure your wife didn't fly back cause she didn't want to wear that football helmet?

See ya in a few, good Lord willing.

Z

1 - 15 of 15 Posts