GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found over my 32 years of riding and 7 MC's, that tires pressure is the cause 95% of the time. Tire pressure should be determined by load carried. Example: What do you do when hauling a load of dirt in a PU truck? You add more tire pressure to handle the load. If you don't, the rear tires will heat up, wear poorly, handle scary and possibly have a blow out. My testing has come up with the following cure for the GL1800. Tire Pressure: Run 41F & 42R for a 150 lb. solo rider (no gear in the bags/trunk). Add one psi to the front tire for every 100 lbs. of additional load. Add one psi to the rear tire for every 75 lbs. of additional load. Additional load equals: extra rider weight, passenger weight, and weight of gear in your bags/trunk. I tip the scales at about 240 and run 42F & 43R. I ride at 10-20 mph over posted speeds. I replaced my Bridgestones at 12.5k – my tread wear was smooth, even and rounded. With the misses on board (110 lb.), and 40 lbs. of gear in the bags/trunk – I run 43F & 45R. Give it a try. I think you will like the improved handling, even tire wear and extra tire mileage.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I agree with the wear issue more or less, but we have determined over the years here that the wobble problem is caused by planetary motion, the tides and sunspots - not necessarily in that order.

Oh, and fixing a wobble is done most reliably with a forked willow branch on a cool cloudless evening.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
Yep, Works that way for me!
Hazle

·
Registered
334 Posts
>>>With the misses on board (110 lb.), and 40 lbs. of gear in the bags/trunk – I run 43F & 45R. Give it a try. I think you will like the improved handling, even tire wear and extra tire mileage.>>

At these pressures and loads on E3's, If you install a SmarTire system, your pressures and tire temps will still surprise you doing 70-80 mph on a warm day.
I've seen 49 lbs 136° on the front and 58 lbs and 197° on the back.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
makes sense about the tire pressure-I've seen what -5 to-8 lbs of pressure can do. Foot print gets to wide and the tire over heats!

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
While at the Hoot in Knoxville I visited the Dunlop booth where they
were checking tire pressure & inspecting for problems (nails, screws)
the Dunlop rep.. said to inflate a tire 2 lbs less than max written on the sidewall.. according to the rep inflating the tire more can reduce the
footprint where the tire meets the road and compromise safety especially when wet.........................

cosmic

·
Registered
8 Posts
Finally a solution that really makes sense and addresses the source of the problem. I've read numerous treads on this subject and just didn't buy into the solutions that the industry was selling. Their answer to owners complaints was; New steering head bearings, or fork braces, or new front suspension, I viewed all these as simply bandages that might help but mostly just profit makers for bike parts manufacturers. I had the common deceleration wobble 40 mph <, I was not really concerned about it because one does not normally remove their hands from the handlebars especially when decelerating. However it did annoy me knowing that the front end reacted that way. I tried your solution on Saturday, I weigh 180 and the SO weigh's 132 so I increased front tire psi to 41 and rear to 43. You’re a genius, what a huge difference, I purposely tested several times for front end wobble and could only notice a slight wobble, maybe. I say maybe only because I was trying very hard to find it and if it was still there it was really very slight. I'm glad I didn't op to invest hundreds of dollars into supposed solutions that some folks indicated did not work. THANKS!!!!!! :D :D :D
Louis

·
Registered
55 Posts
So if I understand this post correctly, the fix to the wings slow speed wobble is tire pressure? Well I guess I can go along with that. Problem is, if tire pressure is the fix, then it stands to reason that tire pressure is the cause of the wobble too. Now, if tire pressre is the cause of the wobble; wouldn't all motorcycles wobble if the pressure wasn't perfect? No you say? Then the wing has some other issue causing it to wobble! I have tried a little to muc pressure, to little pressure, exact pressure; still wobbles. I dont worry about it cause I keep my hands on the bars.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Let's see, the pressure is VERY important to have set at 43psi (depending on weight) - now how do we keep it at that psig as the tire heats up? I did understand the rear tire will increase up to 58 PSIG on just a warm day?

Ken H>

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
WingAirSpeed said:
So if I understand this post correctly, the fix to the wings slow speed wobble is tire pressure?
a bit funny ...

I was watching one of those chopper/bike TV shows last night and they were explaining the importance of "the frame"
... and they said
" a SURE sign you have a frame design problem when you build a bike is that you will notice it wobbles at certain speeds" ...

hummmm
wish Honda would have watched that show
:)

Dennis

·
Registered
337 Posts
WingAirSpeed said:
I dont worry about it cause I keep my hands on the bars.
Now there's the best cure for the wobbles I've heard of.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I thought that the rated PSI on tires was COLD PSI.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Wingwing, do I understand correctly that you believe THOSE people who build choppers know more than the engineers at Honda, I doubt it!!!!! Try riding one of those chopper type bike for 800 miles in one day, I believe you will doubt it also.

·
Registered
16,851 Posts
Smoke and mirrors! Yes; the air pressure adjustment suggested might have some positive effect on some bikes with wobbles. But, the underlying causes(s) shall remain. Another contributer to this board suggested a method to determine a cold inflation pressure for each tire that should (in his opine) yield near optimal running pressures. He indicated his experience in racing bikes on tracks had provided the knowlege base for his suggestion. I forget who he is; so I I can not give appropriate credit where credit is due.

He suggested using a cold inflation pressure that yielded a pressure increase at fulll opperating temperature was +10% to +15%. Thus if your front tire is inflated to 41# at 72 degrees F and you ride the stuffings out of it and then re-check the pressure and find it to be 45# to 48#; then you are in the ball park. Use of a lower initial pressure would yield a larger percentage increase and a hotter tire. Use of a higher initial pressure would yield a relativley lower pressure increase with lower tire temps. Tire temps are important for that intended balance between traction and wear and the principle is like Goldielock's porage preferances.

I and my passengers plus gear typically challenge the max GVWR. I was using Avon Venom R tires with the 70 rear at the time and ran the experimant. With my typical cold inflation pressures of 42 front and 43 rear I noticed a tire pressure increase of jsut a tad over 10% after a long warm day's ride heavy two-up. My bike rarely wobbles (only with worn-out rear tire so far) and I get very nice and even wear. So maybe our contributer gets a gold star.

PigeonRoost Slim

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
RayJ (Ala) said:
Wingwing, do I understand correctly that you believe THOSE people who build choppers know more than the engineers at Honda, I doubt it!!!!! Try riding one of those chopper type bike for 800 miles in one day, I believe you will doubt it also.
:oops:

... just knew I shouldn't have gone down that "why the wobble?" road.
oh well, too late now.

on that particular subject,
I just thought their two cents was worth as much as anyone else's two cents.

so, why do SOME wings wobble?

Dennis

·
Registered
358 Posts
RayJ (Ala) said:
Understand Ray, the difference in designing a "chopper" and a touring bike with the heavy front end of the goldwing - LOTS of compromises that must be considered. Do you wish the rock solid straight line type of handling that is the chopper? OR do you wish the fasteer, lighter handling of a sport bike? Honda engineers decided they wished the lighter handling, so opted for less rake/trail than would be normal for a cruiser type bike. If I remember, the GL1800 wing has a bit less rake than the older GL1500 wing?

Compromises - life, boats, and motorcycle design.

Ken

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
magek said:
WingAirSpeed said:
I dont worry about it cause I keep my hands on the bars.
Now there's the best cure for the wobbles I've heard of.
I third that.

I think there is merit to keeping tires properly inflated to try to get them to wear as evenly as possible. I had wobbles and each of the two times I put on new tires they immediatly went away only to reappear and worsen as the tires wore.

Nevertheless, keeping my hands on the bars is the surest and cheapest cure. Hell, after 2 years owning my bike I'd probably never knew I had this problem had I not read it on this board then went looking for it.

·
Registered
16,851 Posts
Fred; thanks for that tip. OE sized GL Metzlers are my next fitting. I will initially air them up to 42/42 unless you can suggest better beginning point.

prs

1 - 20 of 20 Posts