GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be passing thru Columbia on thursday evening and am looking for a good place to eat. Not looking for a chain, I can eat at them anytime.

Thanks Rich

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Passing through Columbia SC in the evening or night, very wise. Downtown is inner city, full of gangs and thugs. Wise to pass though.

The area is laid out with suburbs around it, Irmo, Lexington, etc all tame and peaceful.

A place to eat, I can think of none that can beat Fats Cafe either in Lexington or in Irmo. Or if going a bit further on down to Orangeburg.

Fats cafe you can have from a steak to whatever. They have a good selection and it is always good.

Not a lot in columbia but the chain eat places, you have to get out of the city for that, simply because people do not go there by choice in the evening.

There is texas steer in Irmo, Longhorn steakhouse in Irmo, and one or two of those out NorthEast towards Camden.

Oh bout forgot in Irmo also is an OutBack, pretty good too. Irmo is only ten miles from Columbia, kinda runs into it down broad river road or just hit it off the interstate to begin with. Lot of choices in Irmo.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Kit what is the name of the place downtown close to the RR tracks it may have been a old depot not sure. Good food though

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Kit what is the name of the place downtown close to the RR tracks it may have been a old depot not sure. Good food though
Are you speaking of Piggy Park?? In Cayce SC. I forgot about that one, yes that is great BBQ. Might not be what you are thinking of.

The other one is the Blue Marlin, right next to the tracks. That is inner city though, not recommended after dark. Unless you can park close to the front. Do not be trying to walk half a block not in Columbia not at night.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Kit, is the Lizzards Thicket still around? I remember it off I-26 near a small
airport.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Kit, is the Lizzards Thicket still around? I remember it off I-26 near a small
airport.
Yes there are a lot of those. The one by the airport is on highway 302 just up from the airport. Quite a few of them scattered around.

We have a joke about them, country cooking out of a can. Good place to eat breakfast, the rest is out of a can. They have changed a lot. Guess it is the economy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope to be in Columbia before dark. Headed from Jacksonville and stopping in Clinton for the night. Really did not want to get far from 26.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Are you thinking of California Dreaming Restaurant 401 Main St
Columbia, SC 29201 (803) 254-6767 right along the railroad?
The Lizard Thicket towards the airport is not worth wasting your money on, the one on Highway One towards Lexington is newer and much better IMHO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts