GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my EC amp yesterday. My Polks for the front, the plug and play for the rear speakers, and the low voltage trigger are due in tomorrow.
Since I have the CD player in the trunk, I need some advice on where to mount the amp.
Any advice will be appreciated and used!

Mike

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
If I did not just order the same thing, I would convince you to sell me it ! Only place I would think of is in the trunk maybe standing on edge. At least the wires would be easy to run from there.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Amp Install

Like yourself, I have the CD changer, so I opted to install the unit in the left side saddlebag.

Running the wires into the bag are not hard because there is a pre-cut opening, about 1 1/2" diameter, towards the top. You might need to remove the plastic top piece inside the bag, but this is where I installed my EC amp and later my Sony 400 watt amp!

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Stapler,

When Lewis E/C installed Dr. Rob's. He installed it, wires down, in the trunk, left side, against the back wall (Towards the passenger back rest).

This was the best place we could find, without hindering space in the saddlebag. Only problem with this set up, is that you might find it impossible to put two full face helmets in the trunk.

Bulldog

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! The 400 watt amp must really produce.
I have considered the saddlebag. Thanks for the info about the precut opening. I have not yet checked it out. My speakers and other stuff is due in today.
Bulldog, I wil certainly look at the trunk option.
I hope I have not "bitten off more than I can chew"!
This amp install looks pretty tough.

mike

·
Registered
810 Posts
Amp Install

I consider the amp install one of the tougher jobs, to be frank. You really need to have time and patiece as your pulling a lot off the bike and if you do it right, some good soldering!

When I did this, I also put in a ground block and a power block from EC, which I highly recommend.

I ended up pulling off the closers on the saddlebag door and the plastic cover inside top. This allowed me the most room to run cables and get in there, not to mention the seat, the radio cowl, the instrument panel, the inside trunk lid, the rear speaker enclosures. It's a lot, but there is one nice thing. If, like me, you did not like the EC amp after installing it, if you leave yourself a little extra cable, it's very easy to pull the EC amp and add another model.

The Sony, by the way, is only 400 depending how you wire it. I think I get about 300 or so wired to four speakers and it blows the EC amp away, no comparison. Now, I will say this. Don't run my radio and amp on the bike for 20 or more minutes or you're not going to start this puppy, but in my opinion, it's very well worth it. I've been told it's the best sounding in the area.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike, great minds think alike!!
Tonight I put in the EC power block and the ground block, tomorrow I tackle the amp!

Thanks for the input.

Mike

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well I'm feeling kinda powerful from reading this string because I just bought a 4-channel SPL4-600 ($84.00 @ Etronics and 600 watts). I think I might have over done it but the 4 channel amp being stable even a 2 ohms speaker load was the kicker for me. I wanted to keep all four channels working as opposed to running just the rears and the front through the rear fader alone. Call me an over achiever or even crazy but it now comes to the install. I purchased Autobahn 5"'s for the front ($69 @ Etromics)and the Sony 5-1/4 's (for $44.95 @ Etonics) for the back. My only question will be were to put this amp. It surprizingly is just a liitle bigger than the EC amp but because of the power I fear it will produce a bit more heat. Besides the saddle bags or trunck does anyone out there have experience mounting an amp elsewhere. :oops: :shock: . If not I will get to the install and utilize a couple of small fans without the heat sink and commence to putting it in the trunk and thereby reduce my trunk capacity -- SO WHAT!! I will have the Power!!!!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA -- I feel like the mad man in a James Bond movie. Also if you are interested in this thread and are considering the jump to a more powerful musical experience here is a good web site to help in your endevour: http://www.rattlebars.com/chetswing/audiofile.html. This gave me the nerve so why not!!!!!!! Good luck all -- I'll Keep you posted on the out come.

·
Registered
810 Posts
To Fishbob

Congrats and I'm curious how it's going to sound. You might have overdone it a bit depending on the power draw and the heat, but you'll find out.

Though I have not completed my work yet, this is what I did. I installed my Sony 444w in the left saddlebag on the floor section. Since the bag won't hold helmets anyway, I didn't think it was that much of a problem.

What I plan on doing is making a shelf to go above the amp. It will be 1/4" plywood with black heat treated paint on both sides (grill paint). Then it will stand off the top of the amp about 3/8" to 1/2". This should allow for ample air to move around it and not have the fins covered or have something touching it to get hot. I may also, I'm not sure, put some small 12volt computer type fans on the front to simply move air across it.

So far I've run it with a loaded bag for hours and not had any problems, but I'm sure that it takes some of the life away when it get's hot. I'm also thinking strongly of carrying a spare battery in that compartment, not sure yet, just as a safety.

So, my idea for you is to do a shelf to keep items away from the fins where you need to allow the heat to disappate.

Please let us know the results of this. Once the bike's wired to an amp, it's not hard to go to a larger one. I think at this point, my amp is adequate but I don't know if my 4" Polks are the best that I can put in the bike, I'm thinking of upgrading them next.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I plan to get Lewis to hook mine up. Hard to say where, but I want to be heard and not from the sound coming from the exhaust. :D Let us know your outcome of the install and what you think about everything? What is this trigger thing I see everyone talking about getting when they order the amp? :roll:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Just got my amp from Lewis, thought I might be abe to squeeze it in the trunk with the cb, and xm commander. Half an inch to big, so now I guess the xm will be mounted on the side or back wall of the trunk, and the amp over the cb. The XM is a LOT smaller then the amp. Will post when done, changing to all POLK speaker too!

·
Registered
16 Posts
A very ambitious group

I'm impressed. I have been thinking about installing an amp and according to EC I must replace the front OEM speakers or risk blowing them. I put in the CD changer myself along with new Sony rear speakers -- took all day -- but I did it. I really need some encouragement to tackle the amp and front speaker installation.

I wear ear plugs when I ride -- so I really need the exra punch. I'm just a bit shy about tearing into the Wing again.
:oops: :roll:

·
Registered
810 Posts
To Clean Gene

Well, if you want encouragement, I can tell you the sound is so far superior that you'll smile ear to ear, but it is a pretty invasive task.

Let's think about this. Let's assume that you have a CB and a CD, or at least a CD. This means the amp won't fit in the trunk but has to go into a saddlebag.

The way the amp is designed, at least from EC, is that you have a 2 pr cable that runs from the amp to each speaker. One pair of cables grabs the signal from the speakers and brings it to the amp. One pair of cables brings the signal back. So, four cables from say the saddlebag out to the speakers.

Unless you have the hands of a midget and/or wire fishing tools for snaking down a wall, then you have to remove: seat, instrument cover, front instrument cowl, inside trunk lid, rear speakers modules, front speakers, and likely one or two other items I didn't mention. You have to get a good ground and a good clean power lead and a lead from an ignition source.

It's a good deal of work and at least in my opinion, done well, soldered connections, heat shrink tubing, secondary fuse system so your running off the battery clean. Your looking at about six hours work for someone who's comfortable doing this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Amp install

Thanks, Mike. You really helped me better understand what's involved.

Got any idea what the dealer would charge? I wonder at times, if I'm paying the dealer to experiment at my expense, i.e. if the tech has no experience doing the installation -- he's not much ahead of me! :wink:

I need the sound enhancement -- so, I'm pretty sure I'll do it -- either myself or by the dealer.

By the way, does the shop manual for the Wing describe how to get at the front speakers?

-gene
:D

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Hey Gene,

Lewis will do the job right and then you know it will be right. Also if you run into problems and then you might not what to do, but if he runs into problems then you know you will be glad he did the installation.

As I said eariler, I plan on getting mine done in Daytona (hopefully). I have had Lewis do most of my EC installs and he always goes above and beyond in doing the job right. He might even give you some pointers in removing some of the stuff.

Let us know what you did on doing and did the install satisfy your need for music?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lewis -- EC

Lewis,

Please give me your address so I can map my trip. Phone # too, so I can call and make an appointment with you.

Also, would this be a weekday or weekend?

As soon as the weather warms a bit 8) -- I'll call for the appointment.

-gene

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Gene....I try to schedule during the week. 6911A Neal Chase Way, Knoxville, 37918. That address may not show up, so try looking for Neal Drive. 865-922-8651

1 - 20 of 32 Posts