GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to install the EC fog lights in the lower cowl.
Any helpful hints?

It looks pretty straight forward but I've heard of the springs pulling thru the plastic of the gusset when it gets too hot.

I was going to back these holes up with some JB weld and a washer over each hole. I read that someone else had done that to repair the problem, just thought I'd be proactive.... for a change. Or is that overkill?

What about those lens covers / protectors??
I've got the amber ones, is one screw enough to hold them in the cowling?

Thanks Guys.

PODO

2,732 Posts
I've completed mine

PODO, I've done mine about a year ago....I would suggest that you do the holes that hold the springs as close to the cowl body as possible, not near the edge of the gusset. I think the people with the problems are burning the holes too close to the edge. Also, don't burn the hole to large. Check the spring wire size and that's all the bigger it needs to be. I even thought about heating a small finishing nail hot enough to burn the hole instead of using the bigger tip that comes with the heating iron.

As far as lens protectors go, I have the wrap around Honda ones and like them alot.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
when I did mine they only came with two cotter pins per side ...

...You should get two more for each side (one for EACH spring)
and then ALL the springs will go on easier ...

Dennis

2,732 Posts
Lens covers

PODO, I have the ones that require 3 holes in each cowl side and the lens wrap around the cowl itself. As I recall, they are about $59.00 but I think they look great and I never worry about rocks breaking the lens.

·
Registered
41 Posts
EC Aux. lights

Hey Podo, I installed the EC-led aux. lights(ele-01279) on my 08 Wing back in December 08. I have not had any problem with the springs and holes sofar. I decided not to install the lense covers so I could not give you any advice on them.
You said Aux. lights then Fog lights. If it is in fact the Aux. lights, the only problem that I found was that the right light wiring had to be plugged in opposite what the directions said. I guess they got their wires crossed during manufacturing. The only reason I knew to try the wires the opposite way is that someone posted that problem here on the Forum. Helped me from going crazy trying to figure out why they were not working.:bow: Apologize for being long winded hope this info. helps.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
123 Posts
Podo, the one screw is sufficient, but the lens covers do get very dirty in back and need to be removed and cleaned periodically.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Podo, the one screw is sufficient, but the lens covers do get very dirty in back and need to be removed and cleaned periodically.
+1 Make sure you drill the hole at the correct angle...also...I remove my cowl @ every oil change & clean the cover & cowl while I have it off the bike! :thumbup:

Mark

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I remove my cowl @ every oil change & clean the cover & cowl while I have it off the bike! :thumbup:

Mark

You've probably got that cowl gettin off and on thing down pretty good then !!

That is the one piece of tupperware that I hate the most to work with cause I never take it off unless I absolutly have too.

Thanks guys for all the help. I'm about halfway there. Doing other stuff while I've got the plastic off.

·
Registered
249 Posts
+1 on making the holes "deep" into the gusset so you have as much bite as possible. Doing this made it hard to get the springs on so I modified the hook end on the spring so that it had less bend, or loop. I also did this on the end that hooks onto the cotter pins. I found that by doing this I could use a fairly small allen wrench to "hook" the spring end and pull it up and over the cotter pin. Saves the fingers and works pretty well.

I just added the EC covers and I really like the look better than without them. I am hoping removing and replacing the screw to clean the cover won't create problems with the screw not being tight enough.

·
Registered
328 Posts
+1 on the placement of the holes you burn. That curved tip gets hot and you need a steady hand. Use good skinny needle nosed pliers to hook the springs. The lense protectors from EC are less than suitable, IMHO, and I used the Hondaline ones. Find a spacer material, such as foam or cardboard to hold the covers the distance off the cowl and mark with a felt tip. You will drill a largish hole to accept the rubberized nut assy (3 per side). To clean it takes a 5 mm hex and about one minute to remove. I added one of EC's amber covers to the inside of my Honda cover for contrast. Used one 8-32 ss machine screw in the center.

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
unless you have to have colored covers I would skip the covers. just doesnt make sense to me to cover any light and try to save a lens thats slighly cheaper then the covers. Replacement honda lens is $40.00 and most aftermaket lighting kits are around $200~300 , why spend $60 on clear lens?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts