GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the EC cowl lights on an 03 1800 with 18000 miles. My off/on switch with the light diode in it has just quit again. This will be the fourth switch that has quit on me. Has anyone else had this problem? The inline fuse doesn't blow, the switch just doesn't work and the diode light in the switch quits as well. Any thoughts, please?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
switch bad

I went through two of those switches, then paid the difference and upgraded to factory style switch. No more problems.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I don't know what switch you have but I haven't had any problems with mine. But on the otherhand if I did, I would probably just eliminate the switch all together because I run with 'em on at all times anyway. Terry

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I also have the EC premium series lights and started to have problems with my switch after about 6 months (it would not always stay in the ON position when pushed). Contacted EC and they sent a replacement switch out the next day. Excellent folks to deal with!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm on my second one in less than a year. The problem is this switch is not made for an open environment. I've used this same switch in a multitude of electronic projects at work and they work fine.... indoors.

I opened up and analyzed the EC switch that died and it was obvious water had done it in. It is not sealed so it's actually unacceptable for outdoor applications. I don't ride in the rain but I do wash the machine.

I've looked for a reasonable sealed substitute but haven't found anything ....yet.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I had a sealed switch for my driving lights that went bad after about a year, it cost me $35 and was a sealed unit. The company would not replace it so I hunted around and found a LED lite rocker switch that fits the oem location perfectly,it is made by Phantom and available at WalMart for $2, I just replace mine when it goes bad, I average about 6-7 months per switch and it only takes about 30 seconds to change it. Keep a spare in the trunk. I think that is easier and cheeper way to go.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
While the current green pushbutton switch we use in the kits does not have a NEMA approval for exposure, our initial testing showed it working well in this application. I'm going to go and look at the number of replacments we have shipped. The previous square bodied unit had been a problem and we replaced it, but keep some inventory for direct replacments. For those with the knockout still in hand, the green pushbutton has been a much more reliable unit.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Lewis/EC said:
While the current green pushbutton switch we use in the kits does not have a NEMA approval for exposure, our initial testing showed it working well in this application. I'm going to go and look at the number of replacments we have shipped. The previous square bodied unit had been a problem and we replaced it, but keep some inventory for direct replacments. For those with the knockout still in hand, the green pushbutton has been a much more reliable unit.
Hey Lewis,
How about just stuffing the switch full of dielectric grease so the water can't get in to mess things up? :)
DC

·
Registered
162 Posts
Fog light switch?

Getting ready to buy the EC light kit for myself for Christmas but would like to find out the results on the switch. Anyone have a conclusion?? also
recommendation on platium series versus the PIAA kit from EC?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts