GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing Electrical Connection lights in lower shroud. I'm not mechanicly inclined, but whom ever wrote the instructions gets a big
"thumbs up" from me. Nice pictures also included in instalation instructions. Learned some new words trying to snake the wiring harness behind the frame (Its easier with seat removed) but it was all well worth the effort. Took a ride after dark and what a difference.
Oh yeah, one other thing I found..... Install the lens guards sometime before the final adjustment...so you don't have to remove the shroud AGAIN !

·
Registered
96 Posts
driving lights and...

Driving lights are GREAT. I've set mine to be on all the time and as directionals.

I powered them by a pair of relays. When I'm riding they are on. We I use a directional the relay turns them off when the directional is on and back on when the directional is off. It gives a wig-wag effect. Makes a huge difference in being seen especially when turning.

I also installed a set of PIA lights under the back of each saddle bag. They are also controlled by relays. They turn on with the directionals. Between the two sets of lights the side of the street is lit up when I use the directioanls. People let me in... nice to be seen - well.... at least sometimes.

Ride safely.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
yep, agree with GP...directions are clear and conscise, easy even with out taking the seat off :D . My son was following me the other night and his statement was "if people do not see you now, they are aiming for you"...they do light up the road nicely.

WingAway...interesting! Would you share a bit more info on how you have them wired in as turn signals please. Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Couldn't help but smile about the effort to turn driving lights into side illumination lights when turning. My '86 has cowl lights which were intended to turn on with the turn signals and are angled out about 45 degrees. Everyone kept trying to figure out how to turn them into driving lights!
Oh well, guess if you hang around long enough the circle always turns. Next you guys are going to tell me that bell-bottoms and platform shoes have come back!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Took a ride after dark and what a difference.
GP,

Which version of the E/C lights did you install? I see they have clear, ion, hyper white & super white. Which gives the best illumination :?:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the "ION". Although I chose these in order to be seen by others better, they deffinetly light up the road more than the standard head lights, even with the high beams. The IONS have a yellowish color to them but not as much as I thought they would, but I still would recomend them to all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Try their Platinum series. They use a factory off/on switch and lens guards are included.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Re: EC Platinum

Slather said:
They don't have them in stock. I waited for over a month. Good luck.
When I ordered the Platinum's from EC, I ask Nicole when they would ship? She told me they were waiting on the switches to get in before shipping....a date was given and I called to check on that date and sure enough, the switches arrived and I rec'd the lights a few days later. So I would give a call and get a status from where ever you ordered them from Slather.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts