GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m about to pull the trigger on some fog lights. I already have the Honda factory fog light switch and wiring. Should I really consider paying the extra 200 for the Clearwater’s? I love the look of the EC set, I just want to know if anyone else had to make this choice and what rationale they used to decide one way or the other.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think the Honda or EC will be easier to install. Of those two I think I would go with the EC lights. However, if you can figure a good way to install the Darlas you will be happier with them from a lighting standpoint. The Darlas are adjustible and go to 100% when you turn on the high beam. You can also connect them to your horn so if you hit your horn the Darlas will flash at 100%. I bought Darlas about a year ago for our 2017 Road Glide Ultra, but did not install them before we bought our 2018 GW DCT Tour. Have not installed on our GW yet, but plan to do so when the time is right. Clearwater has in the past had sales twice a year with 20% off. Once in the Spring and again in the Fall at Thanksgiving. Like their FB page whrrevthey will post the sales.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Ive narrowed it down to the same two. darlas are brighter but the EC are easier to install and use the honda switch...and are cheaper. also. it looks like the darlas need to extrude out of the hole for cooling??? at least thats how theyre shown installed on the website. i dont like that. anyone know the lumens of the EC lights?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0970/7672/products/IMG_5112_720x.JPG?v=1547843245

·
Love The DCT
12,003 Posts
Ive narrowed it down to the same two. darlas are brighter but the EC are easier to install and use the honda switch...and are cheaper. also. it looks like the darlas need to extrude out of the hole for cooling??? at least thats how theyre shown installed on the website. i dont like that. anyone know the lumens of the EC lights?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0970/7672/products/IMG_5112_720x.JPG?v=1547843245
According to information on EC's website, the lights are 1,220 lumens.

:doorag:

·
Registered
316 Posts
ECs for integration and ease of install (using the shortcut method for the top shroud).

It would be nice if EC would have some sort of markings so that I could aim the lights better (like bikes with chains have for axles). Having to eyeball the aim is kind of a pia

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I was all set to order up the Clearwater Darlas for my new Wing.......had them on my BMW and they are nice and super bright.

That was until I saw how they mounted on the new Wing......IMHO, it looks terrible with them sticking out beyond the cowling.
I will look further but probably go with the EC units.....A lot to ask but I want it to look good as well as function well.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I was all set to order up the Clearwater Darlas for my new Wing.......had them on my BMW and they are nice and super bright.

That was until I saw how they mounted on the new Wing......IMHO, it looks terrible with them sticking out beyond the cowling.
I will look further but probably go with the EC units.....A lot to ask but I want it to look good as well as function well.
same here, if thats the case. id pay the extra $$ for ~70% more light, but not if thats how they need to be mounted. there IS a member here that has mounted them flush, but he installed early on before CW even had instructions. He made his own brackets. cant remember the name, unfortunately...bill something?? He did a great job with them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
same here, if thats the case. id pay the extra $$ for ~70% more light, but not if thats how they need to be mounted. there IS a member here that has mounted them flush, but he installed early on before CW even had instructions. He made his own brackets. cant remember the name, unfortunately...bill something?? He did a great job with them.

Thanks, I love them

I just used a 'P' clamp

Attachments

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Just an FYI......
This is what BBP/Showchrome says about their Fog light Kit, I know EC's website states the Showchrome output as NA.

Customer Service:
Alright Brian, lumens come at 950.
However, our bulbs measure higher in other metrics than the lights Honda offers.
Ours are 20% brighter, have a farther reach with cleaner lines going out and downward.
It's basically a more efficient bulb that our R&D were able to manipulate to get the most out of it.
I'm debating between the EC's and BBP/Showchrome versions........anyone have Showchrome?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I opted for the EC fogs... in the end I couldn’t bring myself to pay the extra 200+ after shipping. Thanks for all of the replies and information!

Reactions: laen

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
LOL! Does it really matter! If your Darlas are twice as bright as these, I’ll eat some crow! But they ain’t, are they . . . :kiss:
its been established, not twice as bright, about 70%. of course it matters how bright they are, otherwise you wouldve gotten the Honda lights.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
EC fogs on my bike! Are Darla’s twice as bright for twice the price? Not a chance . . . Check mine out & you decide!
cant determine how bright lights are by taking a picture of them head on by the way. take your bike out on an empty dark road and lets see how much and with what pattern they illuminate. thatd be more useful.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts