GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my EC led cowl lights..."the most light you can stuff in the cowl":yes1:. I'm looking over the instructions and was wondering if anyone has made a step by step video or photos? I searched in the how to section but couldn't find anything that dealt with step by step install.

I currently have Show Chrome/Hondaline fog lights installed but dealer installed for me so I am a newbie and looking for some tips.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Where the Hondaline lights mount to the bike, the E/C lights mount into the cowl.

The big trick is getting the holes melted into the plastic on the cowl. That's what the 90° tip on the soldering iron is for. Once those are done, then it's just a matter of getting the springs into those holes and hooked into the light mounting brackets.

If you test fit one of the brackets onto the inside of the cowl and attach the springs, you'll see where the holes are supposed to go. You have to get the hole pretty low so there is plenty of tension on the springs to keep the brackets in place.

PM me if you need help. I've done several of these. They're a bit of a PITA, but it's not hard to do. Just take your time and have something to drink handy.

Also, you'll need a towel to sit the cowl on to prevent it from getting scratched while you're installing the lights.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So how bright are these lights? I upgraded the low beams to get better visibility down the road at night and it was certainly a help, but want to add foglights too. The ideal would be to find some lights that will cast a ways down the road and be really bright (without getting into oncoming driver's faces ) Any thoughts on these as comparison to others? I have heard so many mixed reviews on LEDs

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey fellas,

Thought last night's experience might help out others.
Mine's a 2010 Navi-comfort model so info should apply to all the later model years I'd guess from '05 or so on up.

I read everything I could find re: installation of them, watched a couple youtube videos, and am a fair wrench anyways. What no-one addressed including Honda's instruction sheet, was WHERE exactly the 4 pin connector is located in the shelter.

It took me longer to find it than the whole rest of the assembly! Probably 20 minutes!

Once you get the shock pressure control panel out, it is STRAIGHT down just above the 'leg' air vent. (Just in front of yer left knee) Doesn't look like it is, as you only see the top of the harness, with one connector in it.

Gently pull on the boot that you CAN see, and the rest of the harness will come up exposing the elusive 4 pin connector. Piece 'o cake after that.

Since Honda owed me a considerable part of my incentive bucks (Little over $400)
I opted for the Hondaline LED lights, and MAN are they bright! Between these on the front, trunk/saddlebag lights, alternating top-bottom turn signals, and spoiler lights, they just MAY be able to see me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Oh...also, recommend the EC jumper wire/relay. Plugs in place of the one that comes in you light kit. Think it was about 35 bucks. Lets you use your fogs lights with low or high beam headlights. I use my fogs primarily for OTHER DRIVERS to see me, so use them in the low beam position most of the time.
***May not be legal in all states, but have never heard of anyone being cited for it....

·
Registered
576 Posts
BigBikeparts

BBP's LED kit attaches to the engine like the OEM fog lights. No springs or hole drilling. Mine are bright and work great.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BBP's LED kit attaches to the engine like the OEM fog lights. No springs or hole drilling. Mine are bright and work great.
That's what I just ran into. I have the lights installed on the cowl but I don't know how to incorporate the OEM wiring. The BBP/Show Chrome lights have plugs that simply plug into the OEM plug on both lights. Surely I don't have to rewire the bike? Can I utilize the OEM plugs and somehow just plug the EC lights into them?

I'm in over my head I think. Don't take much:eek:4:

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
That's what I just ran into. I have the lights installed on the cowl but I don't know how to incorporate the OEM wiring. The BBP/Show Chrome lights have plugs that simply plug into the OEM plug on both lights. Surely I don't have to rewire the bike? Can I utilize the OEM plugs and somehow just plug the EC lights into them?

I'm in over my head I think. Don't take much:eek:4:

Thanks,
Dan
You should have gotten a new switch and wiring harness that the lights plug into. This replaces the BBP and Showchrome switch and harness that you installed on the bike previously.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm Done

I know it ain't much to most of you but I feel like I'm Fred. Since I already had BBP lights installed I didn't have to tear into the fairing/pocket at all. Plus I already had EC's adapter that lets you run the lights with brights on.

Lights sure are bright even in daytime. I may have to aim them down a little if I get people flashing me. Thanks to everyone who offered help and thanks to Fred for his web sight that showed how to install the lights to the cowl. Now I got the most light you can stuff in the cowl. (I like that saying)

Thanks,
Dan

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts