GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide which foglights to purchase, and reading searches only make it more difficult. My PRIMARY concern is others seeing me, I seldom ride at night so lighting the road is of little importance. I also considered the Honda LED's but have not seen enough feedback. Of the EC lights which would provide better visibility to other drivers noticing me? What color are the ION'S? I do not want to add colored covers, just the lights. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
144 Posts
IMHO, I just put on the PIAA 1100X driving lights and let me say they are bright. I would say double the intensity of the Honda Line lights. Yes they are costly but they are super..
Jordan

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
The Super White's from EC are AMAZING!

I used to have issues with people pulling out in front of me all the time, but since I had Lewis install mine last year during Honda Hoot, NO ONE DRIVER has pulled out in front of me when I have had them on. I love these lights!

Regarding PIAA lights, yes they're bright, but you better not run them unless you're out on the backroads. They are irritatingly bright! I also don't like that they mount right under the headlights under the fairing. I think the fog lights in the lower cowl give a better separation of lights to make you more visible.

My $.02

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I installed the EC Super White a few weeks ago and have been told by several people that they "sure are bright". They are 55w.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Bartman, There is no question that they are irritatingly bright. That is why you have to be responsible with them. Mine will be used in daylight and in teh dark when I am alone and need to see what is on the road around me.

I have heard good things about the EC products but have yet to see any in action..
Ride Safe,
Jordan

I used to have issues with people pulling out in front of me all the time, but since I had Lewis install mine last year during Honda Hoot, NO ONE DRIVER has pulled out in front of me when I have had them on. I love these lights!

Regarding PIAA lights, yes they're bright, but you better not run them unless you're out on the backroads. They are irritatingly bright! I also don't like that they mount right under the headlights under the fairing. I think the fog lights in the lower cowl give a better separation of lights to make you more visible.

My $.02

·
Registered
248 Posts

My $.02
+1 :agree:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I have the Ion's & love them.....here's a pic....I have many comments on how bright & noticable they are... They are also 55 watt. :thumbup:

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
If you are wanting to "be seen", get the LED lights. They will not light up the road like the Ion bulbs but you WILL be seen. Call EC on the phone. They can help you decide what light system you need. Ask them about bulb life. I have the 55w bulb in mine and have gone through three bulbs in three years. EC told me that they are good for about 100 hours.

·
Registered
101 Posts
EC Lights

I have the EC LED Lights, Everyone I have checked with say they sure see me with these lights. I am looking at putting the regular 55 watts foglights under the headlights I want evryone in front to see me coming...
Only issue, make sure you put the wiring harness in correctly if not lights will not come on. Called EC and they straightened me out, I straightened the harness out and everything works... :bow:
=====
EC gets a thubs up for service.:yes1:
I bought them thru Direct Line, less expensive than direclty thru EC.

Attachments

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks

I appreciate the input. I figured that I would get some great information. I have now added the PIAA 1100xx to the mix. So basically my shortlist is Honda LED based on bulb life and mounting system, and the PIAA. If anybody has both and had to choose which would they pick? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the EC super whites and the PIAA's on my 08, I have all 8 lights on during the day, and at night i only turn off the bikes hi beams if there is not much traffic. I have the PIAA's aimed somewhat at the ground so they are not in others eyes to bad, but i have them on the bike to be seen, so if it takes some bright lights for this to happen, then so be it. I always drive as defensively as i can, but sometimes that isn't enough in todays world as other drivers seem to be easily distracted. I try to be a courteous driver, but my safety is my priority. Get both sets if you can afford them. If not, i would buy the PIAA's. I understand Bartman's statement about location, but i think brightness helps more than location. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Silly ?, but if the LED's from EC are LED, will they not work with the plug and play wiring of the regular 35W Honda?

Shadow1

Hal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts