GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done installing the Electrical Connection Platinum driving lights. I purchased them from Hal during the Labor Day Sale. WOW! They sure look nice. I was not so sure about the spring type install, but it came out ok. The switch that comes with the lights is OEM style and looks like it came with the bike from the factory. The only down side is the cut of the lens protectors that EC gives you. They are not cut to the exact shape of the opening on the lower cowel. What's up with that crap? For $200, EVERYTHING should be top quality, not just the lights and switch. Lower the price by $20 and keep the cheep plexiglass covers.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
The Captain said:
...The only down side is the cut of the lens protectors that EC gives you. They are not cut to the exact shape of the opening on the lower cowel....
Here is a previous thread discussing the lens covers...good reading and gives some tips...

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... hp?t=62172

icing777 said:
I am up to that challenge in about a week :wink:
Got mine this week..also...will be a few weeks before I install... :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
driving lights

I had one go out when they cracked, so i replaced both, and bought some lens protectors from a dallas company, that was supposed to eliminate the cracking problem, in less than a month since i installed them, both are cracked, and i w ill run them till they quit,lens replacements were 49 bucks a pop,so at those prices i cant keep replaceing them when they break, hopefully some one will make some that will either last or offer real protection for the lenses

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Mine didnt seem to fit either, but after I rotated them and turned them around a few times, I finally got a perfect fit. And the screw holds them in with no trouble. I have about 9000 miles on mine and doing fine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ditto, the lights are great. Took quick trip down the drive ( 400 ft ) and I live on a dead end road so could play with the lights. Fills in the dark spots. The covers are not great but from 6 feet the look fine. If they break
I will go with CB as a replacement. The lights do look good! :D

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I just received my EC kit this week from Hal. Haven't had time to install yet, (too busy riding) but opened and looked. This thing is complete, right down to the included soldering iron!!!

That is great customer service!

Thanks Lewis

·
Registered
246 Posts
I also ordered a set from hal. Haven't recieved it yet.

P

·
0 Posts
twodogs1800 said:
Mine didnt seem to fit either, but after I rotated them and turned them around a few times, I finally got a perfect fit. And the screw holds them in with no trouble. I have about 9000 miles on mine and doing fine.
Exactly what I found. Ya have to fuzt with them a little to find the sweet spot. They are such a perfect fit that it takes a little playing to get them exactly right.
I set mine on a flat surface and tap them lightly with my fingernail until they vibrate into position.
And don't tighten the screw too tight (don't ask).

Did you like the free soldering iron? I thought that was a first class touch.

Pat

·
Registered
538 Posts
Capitan,

I disagree with you... the protective lens will ONLY FIT ONE WAY... will fit close several ways... but if you take the time & try both sides, rotate 'em & flip 'em, you will find a spot that fits perfect... the opening they go into is a weird shape so the lens have to be cut in the same weird shape. Mine been on for over a year & fit like a glove and work great!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts