GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have at this time both the Electrical Connection Platinum series lights in the lower cowling and the PIAA 1100x lights mounted under the headlight. I am attaching (I hope) 3 pictures, one is low beam only, the second is low beam with the EC Platinum lights and the third is low beam with the PIAA 1100x lights mounted under the headlight. These are not the kit that EC sells, they are the PIAA 1100x lights but they use different mounting brackets. I have spent considerable time adjusting the Platinum lights looking for the best lighting pattern to the side of the bike. I have spent much less time on the PIAA lights as they are so much faster to aim. I did some riding against traffic and no one flashed their lights at me with either set. I also asked a car I was following if my lights bothered them from the back and they had not noticed anything unusual. I find this strange, both light sets are bright but the PIAA lights are dazzling as if the reflector was faceted. I prefer the light pattern from the PIAAs as I am looking for more visibility to the side. I think the quality of both kits are equal, they are both high quality. My next step will be to try mounting the PIAA lights to the bike in the lower cowling as I prefer the unobtrusive look of the lights in the cowling.
Low Beam Only

Low Beam & EC Platinums

Low Beam and PIAA 1100x

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey Jack, good pics.
Definite differences.
I found that when I mount driving lights with the parabolic reflectors (giving the narrow/far beam) down low, I had to point them more "out" and less "down" and that caused them to reflect heavily off the road, and that reflection was going up into the eyes of the oncoming drivers (and into the reflective signs above the road). I was never able to get a good angle that gave me light where I wanted it and not have it bouncing where I didn't want it. I gave up and left the "true driving focus" lights up high on the fairing.
Of course, that was several years ago and "reflector technology" seems to be improving a lot these days. So, you may have better luck with the materials available now. Hope we'll soon see your pics of the PIAA's mounted down low for comparison.
Thanks for posting these. :)
DC

1 - 2 of 2 Posts