GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay boys and girls. I have my EC grip heaters and power extension harness to get to the right side of the fairing on my '07. I thought this would be a simple job I could get done this evening before tomorrow (went riding today) but have hit a snag or am brain dead.

Where have you routed the EC harness from the left to the right side to get power over there without pulling the shelter? I can't seem to find a path to keep the wires inside or not pinched in a plastic joint.

A pic or two would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
741 Posts
If I understand for sure what you're asking, the power plug is now located just below and right of the ignition switch, yes, under the shelter. But, you can get to it by just raising the front right of the shelter up.
It is a red connector. I don't think the instructions indicate the new location of the plug. Other than that the grip heater wires run down the bars and meet in the center where they are all plugged together.
This is from memory when I installed them on my '08. I had to ask where the new plug location was. I think it was changed in '06.
If this is not what you are asking, please try again. Roy

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I understand for sure what you're asking, the power plug is now located just below and right of the ignition switch, yes, under the shelter. But, you can get to it by just raising the front right of the shelter up.
It is a red connector. I don't think the instructions indicate the new location of the plug. Other than that the grip heater wires run down the bars and meet in the center where they are all plugged together.
This is from memory when I installed them on my '08. I had to ask where the new plug location was. I think it was changed in '06.
If this is not what you are asking, please try again. Roy
ECs instructions say the connector was removed for '06 and later and you must use the aux harness to grap power from under the left pocket.

Are you saying the power connector is there but under the center of the top shelter?

Is the grip heater harness long enough to plug in there?

Sounds like I'm pulling the shelter this morning. Might as well change the air filter while I'm there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
When I installed a voltmeter on the left pocket key panel, I just pulled both pockets and then used a coat hanger to fish the wires from the left pocket to the right. Mine is a 06 wing.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finished my grip heater installation and indeed found a switched power connector under the top shelter near the right side and used that.

I have done a little how to website for the installation. Not saying it's the right way, it's just the way I did it.

www.tulsawalk.com/goldwing/gripheater

·
Registered
396 Posts
Man,
Nice job with the site...I saved it.

I'm in the middle of doing mine right now (2008 Premium Audio). I too purchased the Accessory Harness that runs from under the left pocket to supply power to the right side. I just can't find a good way to run the wire. There is no mention of it in the instructions.

So I see you didn't even use this wire. I wonder what the original purpose is for that RED connector you found by the ignition??

Electrical Connection really needs to update the instructions on this before we needlessly start ripping stuff off of our bikes.

Thanks,
Russ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts