GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have progressed far enough along since my surgery that today I started doing a few things to my Wing (in the heated garage) vs just looking at it. And boy, did it feel good. I have several lighting things to do and did the first one of them this evening.

Installed the EC Turn-Signal Conversion kit and am VERY pleased with the results. Definitely a lot more lighting on the rear and rear-sides of the bike. Recommend that you follow the directions exactly and it is a challenge to drill slowly into the plastic in order to avoid the bit pulling in too far. Mine did go in a little too far on one of them, but did not cause any problems and did nothing that is visible or which impacts the brightness of the lights. I will add that there was an earlier post a few months back on this subject and someone included photos of where to drill the hole for mounting the 4-LED light that goes in the turn signal -- those photos showed the hole in a different position than the one shown in the photos provided by EC. Looking at it I am sure that the hole in that photo worked, but believe the EC hole is better positioned to provide a better reflection of the LEDs, so I went with the EC instruction and they work great.

Lewis -- I am very pleased. Now on to a few more items tomorrow. Sure feels good and I look forward to riding in a few weeks hopefully.

·
Registered
407 Posts
One way to keep the drill from going in too far is to drill through a block of the correct thickness and leave the block on the drill to act as a stop. A piece of tubing, pipe, etc. slid over the bit would do it too. If it is a fairly large drill bit, try a screw type hose clamp on the bit. I have even duct taped a dowel to the drill motor to act as a stop.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Better hurry, Dave; the temp here in IL is supposed to be in the 40's and 50's this week. Riding time is a-comin'. :lol:

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Additional Tips

Someone e-mailed me for more tips/comments and I just sent them the following. Since I had typed it up, I thought I would put it here for any others that might be interested.

As for the turnsignal conversion, absolutely no problem removing the rear lower light units. Three nuts in the saddlebags that come off pretty easy. Just take off the nuts inside the bags, and then the lights slide backwards (nice tight fit, so just have to work with them a little). Disconnect the two connectors on each light (one for the turn signal, one for the running/brake light). As the instructions show, yes, you do have to drill into the hard plastic of the lights. Look at the picture really closely that are provided and they do show you exactly where to drill into the light so that you can insert the LEDs. As someone posted in a reply to my post, I also would recommend putting something on the bit so that it can only go in so far or it will get pulled in farther than you want—drilling into plastic seems to do that. The hole that you will drill for the 4-LED light to go into the turn signal area just goes into the black plastic. The LED should face/point towards the front of the bike/reflector part of the light, not towards the lens. Also, when you drill the hole for the side-marker LED it will go through the black plastic and then through the very hard red lens plastic that laps over the edge under the black plastic. Just take your time and drill slowly and carefully.) As for the wires, you need to remove a couple of inches of the black plastic wrap around the wires on the bike to allow you to mount the T-splitter about two inches from the connector—you want to do this or the wires from the LED’s might not reach the connectors. Tight fit, but that is good so that you don’t have too much wiring in the back of the lights. I hooked mine up and checked them to ensure that all was working before I slide the light back in place and screwed it in. Also, tuck the wires in the recessed spaces on the back of the light so that they do not take up space between the back of the light and the plastic on the bike or they might hold the light out so that it is not a flush mount. Also, watch the sidemarker LED wires to ensure that they are bent over and to into the back of the light. You need to work with the light a little to slide it back in place and get the bolts to fit in the holes, but it then fits nicely. Just put on the nuts inside the saddlebag and tighten them to pull the light back in place. Do a re-check to confirm that the lights are working properly and you are in business. You these notes in conjunction with the EC instructions and you will not have any problem. Don’t let these comments make you think it is a difficult install as it is not—most important thing is to have something on your bit to keep it from pulling toofar into the light.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts