GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I need some tech support. The F1 light is on my 2004 Honda Goldwing and the error codes gave me a right knock sensor defective. I have read other posts from other people who had the same problem and they replaced it and continued to have the same problem. All of them said that after replacing the ECM the problem went away. I am fixing my motorcycle myself and already have removed the ECM from my bike. Does anyone know if I buy the new ECM do I have to have it reprogrammed to my motorcycle? I don't want to spend all this money on a new ECM to later find out it will not work until the ECM has been reprogrammed. I am really looking for some help/ information as soon as possible before I go out and purchase a new ECM.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,279 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I need some tech support. The F1 light is on my 2004 Honda Goldwing and the error codes gave me a right knock sensor defective. I have read other posts from other people who had the same problem and they replaced it and continued to have the same problem. All of them said that after replacing the ECM the problem went away. I am fixing my motorcycle myself and already have removed the ECM from my bike. Does anyone know if I buy the new ECM do I have to have it reprogrammed to my motorcycle? I don't want to spend all this money on a new ECM to later find out it will not work until the ECM has been reprogrammed. I am really looking for some help/ information as soon as possible before I go out and purchase a new ECM.
Welcome to the board. Like the previous post stated, swap the knock sensors and see if it throws the code for the opposite side. If it does, then the sensor is the culprit. If it returns with the same code, then it’s the connections, wires, or the ECM. The ECM requires no programming, it only needs initialized on your bike and you can perform that without any other tools.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay I just ordered the ECM from Partszilla.com and paid $407 for it. My local dealer wanted $800+ My local dealer also told me that it does not need to be programmed that it’s a plug and play. This is the response I got from Partzilla It will have to be programmed by a certified Honda mechanic. If there is anything else we can assist you with please contact us back. Have a great day. I don’t think the salesman at Partszilla knows what he is talking about.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,279 Posts
Okay I just ordered the ECM from Partszilla.com and paid $407 for it. My local dealer wanted $800+ My local dealer also told me that it does not need to be programmed that it’s a plug and play. This is the response I got from Partzilla It will have to be programmed by a certified Honda mechanic. If there is anything else we can assist you with please contact us back. Have a great day. I don’t think the salesman at Partszilla knows what he is talking about.
Nope, he doesn’t.
Once you get it and get it plugged in, start the bike and let it warm up until the fans cycle on and off once, then turn off the key. Don’t touch the throttle during any of this or you will have to start over with it cold again. This procedure allows the new ECM to teach itself how to maintain the idle speed on your engine. This is the only requirement after an ECM change.

·
Chard Member
12,992 Posts
TD.... Any chance a 2004 ECM will work in a 2003? Noticed the 01-03 are $700. 04 is $407! What the heck.... lol

TIA....

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,279 Posts
Thanks. He swapped sensors and it came back with the same code. Kinda tells us it's the ECM.

Have you ever heard of a Wing that stopped running because of this code thrown by the ECM? That's what he is concerned with.
No, but they can eventually start running badly with stumbling and failing to idle if it gets bad enough. Usually they get changed before they completely fail to run.

·
Registered
850 Posts
No, but they can eventually start running badly with stumbling and failing to idle if it gets bad enough. Usually they get changed before they completely fail to run.

Welcome to the forum! Lglhn & myself (Mostly LJ) R&R’d the ECM on my 2005 a week ago Friday. At first when the bike thru the code I couldn’t tell anything was wrong other than the F1Light. It would trip at roughly 70 miles. Then that amount of miles decreased to where it would trip in well under 1 mile. Eventually the bike would sputter if I would Roll the throttle too fast or at a high cruise speed I could feel it miss. Once the ECM was replaced it’s like a new bike. I didn’t realize how rough it was running / idling and how much power I had lost overtime. You will be happy to wake your 2004 back up if the ECM ends up being the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: cycledude

·
Vendor
17,531 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Lglhn & myself (Mostly LJ) R&R’d the ECM on my 2005 a week ago Friday. At first when the bike thru the code I couldn’t tell anything was wrong other than the F1Light. It would trip at roughly 70 miles. Then that amount of miles decreased to where it would trip in well under 1 mile. Eventually the bike would sputter if I would Roll the throttle too fast or at a high cruise speed I could feel it miss. Once the ECM was replaced it’s like a new bike. I didn’t realize how rough it was running / idling and how much power I had lost overtime. You will be happy to wake your 2004 back up if the ECM ends up being the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If your Wing runs poorly at idle, and the ECM gets replaced to correct code 25 or 26, be sure to check the spark plugs and replace them if needed. The poor running causes the spark plugs to foul, or possibly the failing ECM causes the spark plugs to foul ... thus the poor running getting worse with the old ECM.

·
Canuck
2,828 Posts
In early 2018 I had an FI code on my 2004 saying the left bank sensor was faulty. We considered switching left and right, but then decided to just replace the left bank sensor. That was the culprit. No FI codes after that.

Reactions: Cajunhog

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,279 Posts
In early 2018 I had an FI code on my 2004 saying the left bank sensor was faulty. We considered switching left and right, but then decided to just replace the left bank sensor. That was the culprit. No FI codes after that.
You got lucky. :grin2: Yours is one of a small group that have seen a bad knock sensor, it’s a sensor that doesn’t fail very often.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts