GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just dropped off my 2002 gl1800 at :? long island cycle and marine for the ecm recall. he told me that only the ecm gets changed and nothing else. i asked about changing the air filter and he told me it would be charged at flat rate. so i think i will do that my self.

·
Chard Member
13,055 Posts
ALL 02's get the coolant changed, the heads checked, and a new wiring harness for the temp gauge! Some of the late model 03's just get the new ECM.

That's all I can tell you. I'll give you the same advice again......find another dealer that can read a service bulletin.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I dropped mine off Friday they are doing the ECM and checking the head as per Mother Honda.Besides the coolant change they should also replace the harness.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hitechrr and Justin,
Not many decent dealers on Long Island. I go from Riverhead to NY Honda in Long Island City. Jay and Harry the owners are nice people.

·
Registered
67 Posts
hitechrr do you get the WING WORLD mag. if you do check Nov. 2003 issue page 41. Gives you the whole procedure with pictures for the change out, there is a lot more to than just the ecm. It is American Honda GL 1800/A Service Bulletin #13. Like everyone has said you need to find a dealer who will do it right.

·
Registered
569 Posts
ECM

Got my 02 back from the ECM change yesterday. They changed the coolent, used a head gasket for some reason, and added a wiring harness. I bought an air filter and they put it in for no charge.

So far I have seen no change in the way it runs, except the idle is a little higher than before.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I had my ECM changed out, I inquired about how much it would cost to replace the air filter while they had the bike torn apart. They changed my air filter for me and charged 1/2 hr. flat rate (they said they had to take more stuff off to get to it). I do not suggest you change the air filter yourself unless you have a shop manual, a lot of patience, and a lot of time to do it. That is, of course, unless you are an experienced GL1800 mechanic.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just sent them a fax not to do it. i also sent them a copy of the recall bulletin. the 2002 gets a sub-harness E, head check and coolant.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Hite,

I hope that your fax, told them not to do the ECM change out, and not just the air filter. Seems like those guys are not interested in doing right by you, nor do they care about your repeat business.

Bulldog

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it looks like they are doing the ecm. i will find out what was done when i get it back. if the overheating is gone i will be happy. the harness doesn't do much anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts