GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my bike yesterday from the dealer and when I started the bike it seemed like it was idling really high but it was only about 700-800 rpm. But it sounded really loud. I asked the mechanic and he said because it was cold. After a 100 mile ride home i pulled into the garage and the wife even noticed the high sound of the motor. Also, the mechanic stated that the bike would smell like antifreeze because they may have dropped some on the (wherever). One of the reasons I took the bike back in was due to the smell of antifreeze after they replaced the cap last time. I have put about 135 miles on the bike and it still smells and the noise is still there.....Any suggestions?

bruce aka "the blue trawler"

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
I hate to say this, because you're probably expecting it, "I'd take it back or find a new dealer." My dealer works with me. I guess I'm lucky, but they listen to what I'm saying, offer options, and if something is not right they make it so.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
You might need to rinse the motor off. It might stink for a thousand miles or more if you don't.

Having a noise doesn't make any sense after a ECM change. Can't help you there! :(

·
Registered
60 Posts
Can't tell any difference after the ECM update. Don't have any
data on mileage yet. Sounds just about the same, maybe a bit
smoother, maybe not. Feels the same, love that bike.

Beaverton Honda in Portland did the work, first time in there,
no issue, in, out, as spec'd. They didn't know where to bring out
the Gerbing plug but that's more my fault than theirs, when I pointed
it out the just said, where do you want it and ran the bike back in and
did it.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
please, no more stories about what happened at the dealer with the ecm thing. i cant bear to read them.

mine is in there right now, it will probably have a broken frame when i get it back.

loren

·
Registered
94 Posts
The smell of antifreeze goes away in time. I had it too. The ecm change on mine does not feel any different than before. Even gas mileage is about the same.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Assuming :wink: they didn't screw anything else up, you might try the ECM reset proceedure (disconnect the negative cable for a period of time, reconnect, start the bike but do not touch the throttle until the bike has ran for several minutes). I've seen different opions on how long the cable should stay off and how long the bike should run before touching the throttle, but the proceedure is the same.

If that don't work, like the others said, find a good service department!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I've had a coolant leak ever since the ECM was done last year. They've had it twice, and still not fixed it. It's not much, just an antifreeze smell. I guess I'm going to have to fix it myself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I noticed the extra, noise after the ECM change..

Hi Everyone,
Haven't posted in a while. I have to second Blue Trawler's experience regarding extra noise after ECM change. Bike is just a little noisier after change. Along with ECM change, dealer changed the right cylinder head.
While weather has not provided much chance to ride after ECM change, bike does not feel any different. So far, mileage still is poor. Bike always gets poor gas mileage during cold weather. So far during the course of Wing ownership (2001 Wing purchased used in August '01) the following has been performed:
New O2 sensors and harness.
New aircleaner (stock)
New fuel pressure regulator (this provided a noticeable difference at low rpms)
New ECM and right head
Only item I would like to replace are the O2 sensors. I did perform a test where I disconnected the right O2 sensor. Gas mileage sucked, plus poor performance. I still remember when I picked up my bike after O2 replacement. Throttle response off idle was CRISP!! Just smooth and responsive. But this went away after a 2-3 tanks of gas. I suspect the bad ECM and too much pressure fuel pressure regulator degraded the O2's, but not enough to set off the FI light. One last item before I turn in for the night. When the FI light went on, indicating a bad right O2 sensor, dealer discovered the LEFT sensor was out of spec. No FI light indicator for the left O2 sensor.

Your comments are welcome.
Best Regards,
Jeff Sapp
Merrillville, IN still riding Golden Country

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Jeff the 1800 has a very cheap cost reduced ECM that can only tell you if the O2 sensors are Shorted or have NO OUTPUT the same goes for the O2 Heater Circuits.

All MODERN ECM's are able to tell you with an FI code if the O2 Sensors are reporting any abnormal condition like Rich or Lean running.

NOT Honda, they have their heads so far in the sand on the EFI/ECM issue.

They could have made life much easier on everone with current hardware, but then they would have to actually support it and I doubt they really want to get involved enough to take that little step forward.

Jerry

·
Registered
846 Posts
I think the ecm's on our bikes are just left over items from the old Honda Accords from 1988, and Honda modified them to make them work on the GL1800's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Kraftsman

When did you get your ECM done? I got mine done at Lake Cycle in August of last year and they said my Wing was the first one they inspected that needed a head, so I'm just curious.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts