GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my '03 GL1800 is going to see doctor tomorrow for the frame recall repair and the ECM recall. I am nervous to say the least. My dealer told me he has done over 100 ECM's and all reports are favorable, that everyone has reported the same or better performancee and mileage after the change. My frame looks fine but I decided to have it done anyway...just in case. Will have her back in a week. Wish me well and I feel for all those having to go thru this. Be safe!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Antifreeze leak when dealer picked it up

Well the dealer just picked the Wing up and I feel terrible :( . It has been waiting in the garage for 2 weeks, just sitting there. When we rolled it out we noticed antifreeze on the floor, center of bike just behind the center stand. Why would it leak just sitting there under no pressure. I have never noticed and leakage in 5200 miles and the antifreeze level has always been fine when checked. Would it leak due to cold weather? Seems things just keep getting worse and my life experiences tell me this will become a nightmare too :cry: .

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
elkk,
I would bet the cold weather is to blame. I have fought leaks on all the cages in the family since the cold weather came in. My guess is a loose clamp on the water pump. I think it is near where you described. Better to find it now than later when the weather gets better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ECM and Weld

Elkk.......I had my ECM done several months ago and now my temp. guage remains in the normal zone. During the summer, it would almost red-line.
I also had the frame weld done and was very happy with the results. I had no cracks but, like you, figured I'd better get it done. Now, if it comes apart on me and I get killed, my wife will REALLY be rich!!

Don't worry.....you're "baby" will do fine at the doctor's ...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE!! Frame Reweld and ECM Update + CB Install

Well the dealer delivered the bike today; frame reweld looks great and seems to be fine, but then the original weld looked fine too. The ECM update was also done at this time. Although the temp in St. Louis was only 48 degrees, I rode about 15 miles to check performance, but of course I did not expect or try to make it overheat. It does seem to be a bit more controllable from a stop, maybe just a hair less power or torque, but hardly noticeable. Maybe it is my imagination, but I feel it shifts smoother, certainly less "clunking" on the upshift and it seems to require less upward pressure with my toe to upshift. The dealer also found a loose radiator hose clamp and replaced it, he said this was the cause of the antifreeze leak (are they supposed to install new antifreeze with the ECM update)? When asked, the dealer also said the radiator capacity test was fine and there was no blockage in the heads..who knows if that was really tested.

Dealer also installed my CB and antenna bought from HAL. Seems to be noisy with the motor running, perfectly quiet with motor off and key in the accessory position. I posted questions about that above.

I was worried to death about all this, I did not sleep well the entire week the dealer had the bike, (dealer picked it up on Thursday and returned it the following Wednesday) but it was pretty painless. From what I can see the bike only suffered a light 4" vertical scratch in the windshield and the right exhaust tail pipe is a little crooked, kinda twisted clockwise bringing it closer to the rear fender than the left tail pipe.

Although I prefer not to have gone through these recalls, I feel pretty good about what has been done. Probably too soon to pass final judgment, fuel mileage and further testing will have to wait for warmer weather.

Now maybe I can sleep!! :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Reweld and ECM completed

I took my bike to have the reweld done on Monday and got it back today only 4 days later. Also had the ECM done. Very pleased so far. No problems at all. No crack was seen and pressure checks on heads were fine. Can't wait for decent day to ride.
David Cowan

·
Registered
64 Posts
Frame Cracked on '03 GL1800

I took our bike in for ECM upgrade and Frame Reweld. It was doing so good, I started not to have it done. We have 48,500 miles on the bike. You guessed it , the frame is cracked and the dealer says they are waiting for Honda to give them guidance. Has anyone heard what Honda is doing when they find a frame that is cracked? The weather is getting good and we need our bike. My wife and I are new GWRRA Chapter Directors and it is hard to lead a ride without motorcycle.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Probably going to factory

Well Bob, sorry to hear about that frame crack. My dealer warned me that if a crack is found during the reweld process, they nust ship the bike back to the factory in Maryville where a new frame would be installed. He said turn around time was about 10 days. If this is the case you will need to get on your dealer to get it shipped out asap. Hope this helps..look at it this way....I would have rather had a new frame I think because I am not sure we have heard the end of the reweld issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, my GL1800 was picked up by my dealer December 3rd for welding. Their welder discovered that the frame castings were POUROUS and thus refused to go further. Bike was returned to my dealer. Digital pictures were sent to Honda for their inspection to determine course of action. By this time Honda was closed for the Holidays not to reopen until January 5th. Honda wanted my bike shipped to Marysville and by the time they received a pallet and the shipper came to pick it up, it was Jan. 15th. The Honda rep. told my dealer that someone from Honda would be calling me. I'M NOT HOLDING MY BREATH.

And I was planning to take it to Bike Week.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Ohio, everyone

When my '03 went in for the re-weld inspection at the dealer's, the hairline crack was not found until the bike was undressed and placed on it's side.

When the welder began, he saw the crack on the front of the frame, unable to have been seen without all the removal.

It went back to Ohio....the invoice said it was re-welded there. NO CALL from Honda, so I could not get any added info.

There have been reports of frame replacement being requested, but I have not heard with certainty that any have been replaced.

It seems like we have three classes of Honda response: a dozen or so 1800s that actually collapsed had the bike replaced; serious cracks found, resulted in a trip to the factory for re-weld; and, the dealer re-weld.

I would be interested to hear if anyone had a frame totally replaced.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I assume mine has been replaced by its appearance. You are right about no contact from honda. I got this information from my dealer and never saw an invoice. My tech said it was a new frame by the way verything looked on it. I had a rear flat the day I picked it up (nail,go figure) and inspected the frame from the rearwhen the tire was off. It was spotlless and the welds looked very precise. No one ever said it wasn't just rewelded and I suppose it a new frame. Is there anything to look for besides an invoice? I have trusted my dealer completely thu this process. I would be shocked and totally [email protected] if I have been dupped.
bob

·
Registered
64 Posts

Well, I received six pictures of my cracked frame. The crack was in the middle of a perfectly good looking weld on the lower kick stand side. The crack was about 2 inches long wrapping around one corner. A Honda rep called and said it needed to go back to Marysville for evaluation. She could not tell me if a new frame would be installed or what would be done. I sure am nervous to say the least. It doesn't sound like they are putting new frames in them, just rewelding to factory specs. I would rather have a new frame because if one joint cracked,what is to say another one ,two or three will follow suit.
Bobb

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello , got my bike welded up yesterday. i am hope it was done right. i had a honda man there from maryville and i was more worried about the ecm unit. he said he had one insatalled on his 2002 which is the same as mine and he said it actually run better. he said it did have a slower response on bottom end but still run real good. i do not know whether or not he was lying or nor that it really run better. i will let you know because I run my pretty hard.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Ratman; Ask yourself this question. Would Honda do all the research and development on the GL1800 and not map out the best performance that it could get, under the EPA emissions, the first time? Now they want you to believe that they made it better the second time. Why would they produce it worse the first time: and better the second time when they did all the R&D before they produced it. Doesn't make sense. The played with the ignition and possibly the air-fuel ratio to try and correct an O/Hing problem they have with the fan direction causing the GL1800 to run hot under certain conditions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It is official. I got a call from Honda America today (steve). I did get a new frame. That puts me in a position of not being a rah rah honda guy or a denagrating detractor, because I for one was treated fairly. I think Honda has handled this poorly and I hope the outcomes for you guys and gals with problems will have those put to rest with an equitable solution.
bob

·
Registered
271 Posts
Phramed,

I'm glad you got a new frame. My dealer had 2 bikes he sent back to the factory this week. They were to do the re-weld and found cracks.

I'm surpised about the quantity of cracks they are finding...I wonder how many not in the recall have cracks in the welds.

I sure hope the new ones don't crack. Mine is a 2004.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Phramed,

How bad was your frame cracked for you to get a new one? Did they do it on their own or did you complain?

Thanks, Bobb

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had no idea my frame was cracked. In fact when I had the ECM put in we all went over it so when it went in for the rewld everyone was shocked. the fracture was nearly circumferential but not thru. I just let the process work. I inquired with my dealer, I talked off board with gary smith, and i simply let it work. I have a good dealer and advocate. To my knowledge bigPhred is the only one from here sent north, but i could be wrong. Needless to say, this was the perfect fix for me. Easy to say now but if I had a welder like the one in Ga or someone like that, I think I would have been satisfied.
bob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts