GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you guys talk of ECM change are you saying the actual unit is changed or is it re-mapped?

If the unit is replaced is there a way to identify the new version from the old?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
They replace the physical unit.. My bike was done at the dealer before I picked it up last Aug. There's a white sticker on the inside of the fuel door that states it's been updated..

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
They are changed. The ECMs are not remapable, according to Honda.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
areg said:
When you guys talk of ECM change are you saying the actual unit is changed or is it re-mapped?

If the unit is replaced is there a way to identify the new version from the old?
When they replaced mine, they put a punch mark under the engine serial number.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just checked under the fuel cap and the white label gives the coclor code but no mention of ECM.

Mine is an ABS model with a production date of 4/03.

I read posts here that subsequent to change the gas milage has gone down. This seems to suggest that the new ECM may have richer mapping for the engine to run cooler.

Judging by the black coclor of the exhaust on mine and mileage of cloer to 30 than 40 probably suggests the new ECM, but I would like to find out if I can for sure.

No sign of overheating, but have not really had a very hot day here.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Lucky Phil

I have a question for you. I just bought a new 2003 last Saturday. I called the customer service to find out if mine had the frame fixed because I saw it go through the prep and I knew the dealer didnt do anything to the bike. They told me my frame was welded by Honda. The girl on the phone told me I needed to take the bike by the dealer to get the ECM replaced. I looked at my VIN number on the bike and my last number is 9. Below the 9 is a punch mark. Is that what they did on your bike? The reason I'm not sure if it is done or not was because even though the girl on the phone was very helpful and called me right back with the answer to my question it took me a few minutes to get across to her what I was asking. I started off saying I had just bought the left over 2003 less than a week ago and it fell under the recall numbers. She kept asking me how many miles were on my bike and kept asking if I had wrecked it. She then asked how long I owned it. So I wasnt sure about her telling me to take it to the dealer because there was a recall or she was saying it because she knew it wasnt done. I got stuck in a huge traffic jam today near Daytona and the gauge never moved even though I was sitting still and then running 25 mph for a minute then sitting still.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
arag -

Looking at the service bulletin SB 13 concerning the marking of a unit that has had the ECM done

Says put a PUNCH MARK under the first letter of the ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER.

So, look at the serial number on the right side of the engine.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Yes, and SB 1 (Temp Guage) says put a WHITE DOT on the inside of the left fairing pocket lid.....etc, etc.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
03CANDYORANGEWING, yeah, what Col. Bat and IRHarry said. I didn't know about the punch for the frame recall, as mine wasn't in it, so I didn't read about that. The engine SN is behind the right side engine cover. The girl on the phone may not have been up to speed on all the recalls, etc., so figured it would be in your best interest to pass the buck to the dealer, who would hopefully know more than she. :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts