GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To re-boot the ECM on a 2010, is it done the same as the earlier bikes? When I first start out in the morning the bike is VERY sluggish. Once I run it up to 5k rpm it runs fine.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
To re-boot the ECM on a 2010, is it done the same as the earlier bikes? When I first start out in the morning the bike is VERY sluggish. Once I run it up to 5k rpm it runs fine.

Dennis
Yes as far as I know, same on all bikes, start bike no touchy throttle, allow fans to come on shut down after about a minute.. should reset the ECM, what grade gas are you using, also may want to add Techron to the tank it could be just a dirthy injector, good luck

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using 87 oct. Bike runs fine once I have driven about one mile. Over 42 MPG. 6500. miles on bike.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Does your bike not start out at a fast idle then after a couple minutes kicks down some and after a couple more minutes down to a idle.Mine has always done this and runs real smooth never a problem.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Yes as far as I know, same on all bikes, start bike no touchy throttle, allow fans to come on shut down after about a minute.. should reset the ECM, what grade gas are you using, also may want to add Techron to the tank it could be just a dirthy injector, good luck
I may be wrong but I thought you had to disconnect a battery terminal and short the two ends together first to drain off any capacity charge and then reconnect before the above will reset the ECM. You could also remove the input cable bundle from the ECM to accomplish the same thing as shorting out the battery cables, but that is much harder to get to. Otherwise, the above sequence is what I have heard is the correct proceedure. I have been wrong before, but last night I stayed at a Holiday Inn. :lol:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
There's no need to disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
19,323 Posts
do not disconnect the battery

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
According to my factory service manual and the ETM the only mention of a resetting/rebooting requirement for the ECM is when the ECM has been replaced with a new one. The only reason mentioned for doing this procedure is “If the ECM is not initialized, the correct idle speed will not be maintained.” Page 5-106 in my manual. No where else can I find mention of using this procedure to “fix” any other type of problem. No where can I find any data that supports the ECM re-programming itself by an initialization procedure. So yes, if you just installed a new ECM, you might have to reset it using the FSM procedure.

However, I have not read the factory service manual cover to cover, don't intend to either... would rather ride... so if someone else can find a specific reference in the factory service beyond what I found, then bring it....

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Larry

It is in there somewhere obscure and it is referenced on another page that directs you to it but I got bigger fish to fry right now and my PDF version is not with me to search.

EDIT: Page 6-90 of the '08 Service manual. My '02 manual has individual sections and is nearly impossible to search effectively.

Shift the transmission into neutral and place the
motorcycle on its centerstand on a level surface.
Start the engine, warm it up to the normal operating
temperature and let it idle for 90 seconds without
touching the throttle
They call this the "ECM RELEARN procedure" which can produce an idle speed adjustment. But, it does call for this after a PGM reset which is done by shorting two connectors and for that I will give no other information. Look it up.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,479 Posts
There's no reason to disconnect the battery because the ECM has no power to it when the key is off. This procedure is only going to let the ECM teach itself how to control the idle, nothing more. This is supposed to be done by the dealer at the initial setup, but alot of dealers don't do it, or do it wrong, so it can't hurt.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
My mistake, I thought the OP had a drivability problem... not an idle problem... carry on....

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I may be wrong but I thought you had to disconnect a battery terminal and short the two ends together first to drain off any capacity charge and then reconnect before the above will reset the ECM. You could also remove the input cable bundle from the ECM to accomplish the same thing as shorting out the battery cables, but that is much harder to get to. Otherwise, the above sequence is what I have heard is the correct proceedure. I have been wrong before, but last night I stayed at a Holiday Inn. :lol:
Well there you have it. I was right (about being wrong) :lol: Guess that silly commercial about staying at a Holiday Inn making you a brainiac was just so much blooey!

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
To re-boot the ECM on a 2010, is it done the same as the earlier bikes?
Actually, the OP asked if the reset procedure was the same for '10 models as the procedure for older bikes. It is. The rest is collateral.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Well there you have it. I was right (about being wrong) :lol: Guess that silly commercial about staying at a Holiday Inn making you a brainiac was just so much blooey!

Well, there's your problem. You need to pay closer attention to the commercial. It's not ANY Holiday Inn - it has to be a Holiday Inn EXPRESS, silly. :joke:

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
So is the sluggish running wing fixed after the ECM reset?

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
According to my factory service manual and the ETM the only mention of a resetting/rebooting requirement for the ECM is when the ECM has been replaced with a new one. The only reason mentioned for doing this procedure is “If the ECM is not initialized, the correct idle speed will not be maintained.” Page 5-106 in my manual. No where else can I find mention of using this procedure to “fix” any other type of problem. No where can I find any data that supports the ECM re-programming itself by an initialization procedure. So yes, if you just installed a new ECM, you might have to reset it using the FSM procedure.

However, I have not read the factory service manual cover to cover, don't intend to either... would rather ride... so if someone else can find a specific reference in the factory service beyond what I found, then bring it....
You are correct Larry. Normally it should never need to be "taught" again once it is initialized. But there's a catch, and it might fit since this is a new bike.

The ECM initialization is not done at the factory. It is done during setup at the dealer. And we all know how thorough the dealers are at setting up bikes. Half the time they don't even put air in the tires or check the fluid levels.

The ECM initialization only adjusts idle during a cold start, so in this case it certainly can't hurt to give it a try.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,479 Posts
The manual doesn't say it needs it, but if you do an air filter change I think you should do the "reset" because you have changed the air flow. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
well there you have it. i was right (about being wrong) :lol: Guess that silly commercial about staying at a holiday inn making you a brainiac was just so much blooey!
it's holiday inn express !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not holiday inn!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts