GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Vendor
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know, they say third time is the charm.

Got another reflashed ECM from Guhl Motors today with a new tune in it for testing. Installed it this afternoon and went for a ride. Don advanced the timing just a little more on this one from the previous tune.

The first thing I noticed was a big change in throttle response. Sort of reminds me of the old 2001/2002 ECM, only with more power. In first and second gears at low rpm you have to be a little more careful with the throttle, cause it now feels like you trying to hold back wild horses, which you are.

Out on the road, the bike clearly has more power and torque all through the RPM range. I can hear more intake noise as well when the throttle is opened up. The bike responds better and pulls harder. I'm pretty impressed with the results of this new tune. I need to do some gas mileage tests with it, but I'm betting my mileage will go up as well, since no additional changes to the fueling were made from the last tune. I'm extremely impressed with this new tune. I always knew this bike had a lot of untapped power left in it. Short of the guy that put a turbo on his bike, I think I may now have the fastest Wing out there.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I want one. What's the phone #???

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Have they changed the rev limit peak?

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Vendor
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd be interested to see the before & after dyno charts.
This is from the second tune. The third tune is a step above this, but we don't have a dyno run from it yet. I suspect peak power is about the same, but the big difference in the third tune is throttle response, which the dyno can't really show you.

·
Registered
189 Posts
once I purchase the Cobra Tri-Oval, I will put a call to either Buddy or Don
at Guhl. . .I'm already leaving Harleys for Dead without the reflash

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Now you're getting my attention Fred !

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
I pulled the trigger and ordered the whole enchalada from Torq masters yesterday. My stuff should be here by next Friday at latest i hope,, Can not wait to see how the wing responds to better breathing. Getting the torqtubes and the new style Daytonas

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I pulled the trigger and ordered the whole enchalada from Torq masters yesterday. My stuff should be here by next Friday at latest i hope,, Can not wait to see how the wing responds to better breathing. Getting the torqtubes and the new style Daytonas
I would assume from my HD Dayz that new pipes, Torqmaster and new high flow airfilter (K&N), will lean out the mixture due to the increase air flow and require a new ECM tune. Good news is that should result in a very light front tire :)

Rick

·
Registered
849 Posts
All I gotta say is, when you twist the throttle on this thing, you better be ready to launch.
Fred,

you still riding a 2009???

Les

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I can't say that I see a huge increase in Tq & HP, but I do understand that improved throttle response could be well worth the cost. I was over on Don's website, but I could not find any pricing info. How many $$$ for the re-flash? Was the bike on the dyno stock, or were there other modifications (exhaust, etc.)?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I just returned from a nice lunch ride with Fred H., Jim Hughes(Jhughes556), and Bill and Brenda(jokerguy). We met at the convenience store at Santo, Tx, on state hiway4. For our part of Texas, this is the south end of one of the better"twistie" roads in the area. When I pulled in, all the others were there and kicking tires. Fred came over and ask me to hop on his bike, take it for a run up the road and back and give him my impression. I am riding an 06 with 72,000 on it. It is running very good-Fred just did the valves and maintenance on it. I would like to move up to a newer bike, so I jump at the chance to ride his 12 model.

When I pulled out on the road, I immediately noticed a much quicker throttle response. I rolled it back to see how 1st and 2nd felt and was very impressed with how strong it felt. It seemed to hit that "set you back in the seat" power quicker than I am accustom and was very strong from shift to shift. it was a bout 2 miles to the 1st set of curves so I ran it up to 85+, it felt really strong.

As I approached the curves, I slowed(its not my bike) so that I could get a good feel of the power through and out of the corners. About 1/2 way through the 1st corner, i rolled the throttle back to power out of the corner--WOW ! It jumped around the corner. I really had to think about the throttle response-It was so much quicker than what I am used too. It was very strong around the corners. from the top of 4th to the bottom of 5th can be a bit lagging if the rps are not right. This bike was very strong through those gears and I was not working to keep the rpm's up, it just was a just stonger there.

I know the bike is newer and less miles than what I ride, but this bike has much better throttle response and power through all the gears than what I am used too. I need to save my coins and get the ecm done on my 06 so I can keep up!! Thanks for the ride Fred!! Oh yea, the ribs at Hashknife bbq north of Mineral Wells, Texas are GREAT!!!!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I had my second ride on Fred's beast today. The first time was after he installed the reflash #2 and my impression then was that there sure seemed to be a noticeable difference in giddy up. Pretty hard to put your finger on it but there was definitely a difference.

Todays ride with reflash #3 was an attention getter. Grabbing a full handful of throttle in 1st and 2nd gear is very impressive. I ran the revs up to just under 5500 rpms but didn't hit the limiter and the power increase is noticeable throughout the range in the lower gears. I don't know if this correlates with the reports of improved throttle response, but I sure enjoyed whatever it was. Although these "tests" are completely subjective and without the benefit of any test equipment and real data, there is a definite an improvement over the stock load as observed when I got back on my bike.

It will be interesting to see what the dyno data shows and if any mileage improvements are realized.
Thanks for letting me dance with the beast Fred....
J

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Anyone done a trike yet?
.. An ECM optimized for the super size girls would definitely be a worthwhile improvement.

Dennis

1 - 20 of 172 Posts