GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My bike is down with the seat being sent to RDL and converted into something that is good for some hours in saddle. Decided that while it is not ridable, I would also have the ECM "reflashed" by Guhl Motors and shipped it yesterday. Fred Harmon's video was an awesome resource with this job. Very interested to feel the difference, throttle response in Tour and Sport mode are my primary interests.

Installed the Electrical Connections parking brake light flashing module while I had the bike this far down to get the ECM out. Again, with some guidance from Fred's video series it was an easy upgrade. While having the bike partially apart, I will install wiring for the Zumo XT and the battery tender outlet. I'm installing the PDM60 power distribution module and a ground block, the PDM60 seemed like the slickest device for accessories power management. Two Warm and Safe remote dual heat control modules are also being installed, covering the rider and passenger. I don't do a lot of fluff on my bikes, but I can imagine adding some additional lighting as I venture back into long distance riding and think the PDM60 will allow for the expansion with ease. Decided on the F4 Customs clear, 20" windshield and that is on order as of last night. The OEM windshield isn't terrible in my opinion, but the potential for less wind when desired and the durability of the F4 Customs sent me in this direction. This bike is getting close to be ready for some miles.

After a couple years off two-wheels after selling my Gold Wing and V-Strom, I'm very excited to getting back in the game. Hate to not have two-wheels under me for a few weeks, as the weather is just getting perfect here in the Southeast for some serious riding. However, I'm positive that it will be even more enjoyable with the modifications complete.

Just thought I would share!

·
Registered
172 Posts
sounds like you have a solid plan. I love my 2020 DCT tour ! Came off of a Harley CVO Ultra Classic, enjoyed the bike, but not so reliable. LOVE MY WING !

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
@Craig Moore great hearing you are looking forward to enjoying this wonderful machine....every time I ride it I smile ear to ear! Looks like you are stoked to get back on the roads and enjoy yourself. What kind of driving lights will you be going with? I decided on the Denali lights mounted under my mirrors, so far I really love the output of pure white light on the roadway. I have the OEM fog lights and they work great, I did put amber colored film over them. I went with the Amp link which allows me to custom power output to whatever device I want juiced with the flexibility of switched-constant-graduation of power-all through my iPhone. I have about got my GW with the things that make it mine...got expensive but that's the game we play with this machine if you choose to do so. Ride safe-miles of smiles!

Reactions: Craig Moore

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Craig Moore great hearing you are looking forward to enjoying this wonderful machine....every time I ride it I smile ear to ear! Looks like you are stoked to get back on the roads and enjoy yourself. What kind of driving lights will you be going with? I decided on the Denali lights mounted under my mirrors, so far I really love the output of pure white light on the roadway. I have the OEM fog lights and they work great, I did put amber colored film over them. I went with the Amp link which allows me to custom power output to whatever device I want juiced with the flexibility of switched-constant-graduation of power-all through my iPhone. I have about got my GW with the things that make it mine...got expensive but that's the game we play with this machine if you choose to do so. Ride safe-miles of smiles!
I have honest not even started looking at aux light options, no plans of adding those right now but I can easily envisioning it happening in the future! I also have the OEM fog lights...

Yes, I agree this is an awesome machine! My third Gold Wing and by far the best...

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
If your Guhl order included elimination of the speed limiter, then make sure you check to see if that change was successful. Some riders have reported that the mod did not work. Mine did work, but I have yet to push it to its limit as the roads here abouts are (1.) pretty corrked and (2.) well patrolled.

prs

·
Registered
19,055 Posts
sounds like a nicely set up bike

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your Guhl order included elimination of the speed limiter, then make sure you check to see if that change was successful. Some riders have reported that the mod did not work. Mine did work, but I have yet to push it to its limit as the roads here abouts are (1.) pretty corrked and (2.) well patrolled.

prs
Don’t really have anyplace around the southeast to twist it up... when I get out west it will be a different story.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Yupp, I found out my reflash for the speed limiter removal was not working....sent it back to Ghul and he worked his magic and it definitely works now....I had the windshield down and in sports mode....big smile on my face with the reflash!

Reactions: Craig Moore

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don’t really have anyplace around the southeast to twist it up... when I get out west it will be a different story.
My bike is down with the seat being sent to RDL and converted into something that is good for some hours in saddle. Decided that while it is not ridable, I would also have the ECM "reflashed" by Guhl Motors and shipped it yesterday. Fred Harmon's video was an awesome resource with this job. Very interested to feel the difference, throttle response in Tour and Sport mode are my primary interests.

Installed the Electrical Connections parking brake light flashing module while I had the bike this far down to get the ECM out. Again, with some guidance from Fred's video series it was an easy upgrade. While having the bike partially apart, I will install wiring for the Zumo XT and the battery tender outlet. I'm installing the PDM60 power distribution module and a ground block, the PDM60 seemed like the slickest device for accessories power management. Two Warm and Safe remote dual heat control modules are also being installed, covering the rider and passenger. I don't do a lot of fluff on my bikes, but I can imagine adding some additional lighting as I venture back into long distance riding and think the PDM60 will allow for the expansion with ease. Decided on the F4 Customs clear, 20" windshield and that is on order as of last night. The OEM windshield isn't terrible in my opinion, but the potential for less wind when desired and the durability of the F4 Customs sent me in this direction. This bike is getting close to be ready for some miles.

After a couple years off two-wheels after selling my Gold Wing and V-Strom, I'm very excited to getting back in the game. Hate to not have two-wheels under me for a few weeks, as the weather is just getting perfect here in the Southeast for some serious riding. However, I'm positive that it will be even more enjoyable with the modifications complete.

Hello Craig,

My 2020 Gold Wing is also down because my seat is at RDL. I have a question for you. You mentioned Fred Harmon's ECM flash video. Can you please tell me the name of that video? Is it the DCT Clutch Initialization Video? Or is it a different video?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yupp, I found out my reflash for the speed limiter removal was not working....sent it back to Ghul and he worked his magic and it definitely works now....I had the windshield down and in sports mode....big smile on my face with the reflash!
Hello Craig,

My 2020 Gold Wing is also down because my seat is at RDL. I have a question for you. You mentioned Fred Harmon's ECM flash video. Can you please tell me the name of that video? Is it the DCT Clutch Initialization Video? Or is it a different video?
It’s video 51 in the series...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts