GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone who has an '01. How has the ECM replacement and the rest of the procedures that go with the campaign (i.e. checking the heads, raidiator hoses, ect.) gone? Has mileage increased? Mine gets only 36 mph.
Has the rotten egg smell from the cats gone away? Has anybody had to have the heads replaced? And were the coolant hoses clogged?
I am asking because if there is not any real change then I am reluctant to have the local "technicians" take my bike apart and I will just go with what I have. Never had an overheat problem with my '01. Thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
ECM

I don't have an '01 but had the ECM change done to my '02. Like you, I never had a problem with the overheat, but I was having the re-weld done so I had them change the ECM as well. The only change I've noticed is that it's smoother in 1st and 2nd gear. It still runs like a scalded dog and my mileage hasn't changed, I was getting 42 before and still getting 42 now. From my point of view, I'm glad I did it. It's good to have that extra piece of mind if I get caught in a really bad traffic jam on a hot day.

Kenny
'02 silver

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The converter stink and poor fuel economy are the result of things that the ECM has no control over... things like defective O2 sensors or fuel pressure regulator, or a flooded EVAP system caused by repeated overfilling of the fuel tank. The "product improvement campaign" isn't designed to affect those problems one way or the other. It only addresses the heating issue.

My advice - have the work done. If not by your current dealer's service department, then by another that you have more faith in. When you eventually sell your bike, the lack of this modification may drastically affect resale or trade-in value, especially if the free replacement period has expired.

Stu O

·
Chard Member
13,218 Posts
I wasn't crazy about having it done either. I looked at it as getting a free coolant and air filter change! :D The performance of the bike didn't change in the least. The temp gauge now reads a hair lower.

I'd do it again if needed! :)

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
I have an 01 #704, had the ecm ,ect. done 2 mounths ago.Never had it over heat prior.The bike is a little smother in lower gears. Milage is the same. I agree with Stu, if you have milage issues its more than likley somthing be sides the ecm.
**** :yw1:

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
My 01's performance had been terrific during for the entire time I had been driving it (42,000 + miles at the time) and I never experienced any overheating issues in any kind of driving so was uncertain about doing the ECM. I did get both 02 sensors replaced over a 8 month period, but both times the F1 light indicated a change was warranted.

This past August I finally decided the ECM work was not going to make matters worse (several friends had there's done) and I gave in and had the work done. It was not a big deal and I got the bike back later the same day with no issues at all. I wouldn't worry about it and have the work done, put the issue behind you and enjoy your bike. Be happy with the mileage and accept it as it. Sure "some" others might consistantly get higher MPG, but it's in the mid-range and it could be worse. Life is too short to worry about getting 36 miles a gallon, and what can you drive that gets that good a mileage and you still have so much fun??

DaleC

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I had mine done on an 02 that never OH'd, but wanted to get rid of the bog in first gear. Got it back, everything checked out fine and it ran great in first...for 400 miles. The bog came back, and seems mileage did drop about 5mpg. Has anyone ever had a replacement ecm changed again? I mean for something besides OHing? Hal? Any comments?

·
Registered
12 Posts
ECM change on 01 GL1800

I had the ECM changed on my 01 IR GL1800 last month. They also changed the right head as the coolant passages were partially blocked. I don't see any measurable change in milage, but if anything, it's a little better. Even though it should not have this effect, there is definitely less sulfur smell. The dealer says it appears that the smell was caused by the engine running too rich, and that the new ECM corrects that. I thought it made it run more rich, but what can I say? The smell is not as noticeable now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have a 01 GL1800 (Yellow) with 33k miles. Never had any overheating issues and the bike ran beautifully. Got good gas mileage - between 42-45 mpg. Had ECM replaced about 2000 miles ago. NO CHANGE!

Still a great bike - runs great!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.