GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 and had the ECM change done in October. since then, it idles at 1300 RPM, doesn't have the power it had, and the gas mileage has dropped. Tail pipes are now sooty, whereas before they were clean. It is definitely running richer than before. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you do to correct it? I have no confidence in my dealer's service dept and would rather not return there. Any help would be appreciated.
Jack

·
Registered
21,132 Posts
first guess would be it needs a throttle cable adjustment, should take only a few minutes, if your not comfortable doing it yourself take it back to the dealer he should be happy to fix it in very short order. :yw1:

·
Registered
847 Posts
If you didn't already try it, I would disconnect the battery for a few hours and then put the key in and turn it to ignition, and hit the start button. This makes sure all the capacitors are drained. Then connect the battery and without touching the throttle, let the bike warm up until the temp. gauge goes to its normal range, and the radiator fans come on once. Then try the bike out. This lets the ecm re-learn the various settings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ECM Replacement problems

I already did the relearn thing, but maybe I didn't leave the battery disconnected long enough. I'll try it again.
After a cold start and before riding it, the idle speed comes down to normal, but then after riding it, won't drop below 1300 RPM.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Jack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts