GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my '03 Wing to the dealer yesterday for the ECM upgrade. I asked what the upgrade acctually did. He seemed a bit unsure but basically said it simply made the temp gauge read lower, i.e. it did not make the engine run cooler or do anything to the fans. :shock:

What's your take on his observations? :?:

-gene

·
Registered
824 Posts
Your dealer does not know what he speaks of. Take it elsewhere and get it done. I'll just tell you that in slow riding (as in traffic jam), it will keep the temp from pegging. I'm not enough of a wrench to explain it any better, but I am sure that someone will take a good stab at it!

·
Chard Member
12,963 Posts
Gene.....It sounds like your dealer was trying to be honest with you! I agree with what he told you. :( I think it covers up the problem, not solve it!

Skeptical Red...... :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Red, I think you're correct -- he was honest -- in fact, he claimed that they had used a laser to measure the temp on a Wing that had over headed (at least according to the temp gauge) but the engine was actually within specifications, i.e. the temp gauge does not accurately report the true engine temperature.

He outlined what they plan to do (changing coolant, testing for head warpage, etc.) all consistent with the directions from Honda. Of course, I won't be there to watch -- but, I have to trust someone.

Thanks,
-gene

[/u]

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Gene,
Way back when the fix was announced at Daytona it was supposed to play with the timing at low throttle. This reduces the heat load on the cooling system. Our friend, Chef, attended and took very good notes.
The fuel mix may be effected also. I don't think the actual specs have ever been announced. We know that the temp meter circuit is recalibrated. Some bikes are tested for head blockage.

From my experience I can tell you that the throttle response is reduced at low settings. This makes for smooth operation when riding slow as in a parking lot. I like this. The bike runs normal when the throttle is past 1/4.

The OH problem is still there. This fix does provide some delay. If you stay in "Parade Mode" too long OH will result. I find the problem to be easier to control. To be honest I have never OH my bike per the OEM deffinition. The OEM deffinition requires boilover for OH. I define it as when I have to alter riding style to prevent boilover. I have altered my riding style many times due to this problem. SB13 does not address the root cause of the problem. Reversed fans look great on paper but falls short in the real world. Sometimes you are stuck in the 10-15 mph range. Sometimes you will have a stong tailwind when above 15 mph. When the air in the cowl stagnates all you have is coolant that gets hot.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Red said:
Gene.....It sounds like your dealer was trying to be honest with you! I agree with what he told you. :( I think it covers up the problem, not solve it!

i am with red on this one. mine is in the recall for the ecm and i am holding off. simply because in the limited 700 miles so far it has not gotten the temp gauge over halfway.

i read so many folks have neg experiences after the job.of course that is on another wing board--the negative one

mine seems to run real well, i dont want to give them a chance to mess it up.

loren

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all who have shared comments.

I never received any notice about an ECM recall for my specific Wing. I did get notified that I was NOT on the frame recall list.

I have had two situations where my temp moved close to the red line. It never got into the red -- so I felt no damage was actually done. In fact, if the temp reading is actually lower than indicated -- I probably didn't get close to a serious OH problem at all.

You know, this board is a wonderful service -- and all who use it to share experiences, advice, and encouragement are appreciated -- at least by me!

Thanks,
-gene :luf1:

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
so far I havn't heard of any 1800 overheating after the ECM change. Havn't had my bikes ECM done yet but plan to maybe next summer,it has never overheated. For some reason I seem to have a lot more confidence in Honda than many other board members here have.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
cycledude said:
so far I havn't heard of any 1800 overheating after the ECM change. Havn't had my bikes ECM done yet but plan to maybe next summer,it has never overheated. For some reason I seem to have a lot more confidence in Honda than many other board members here have.
Several on the "Other board" who had had overheaters still had overheaters after the ECM change. Granted - not many - but some claim to still overheat

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
For what it is worth, with the accuman temp. gauge. Sitting in slow 90 degree weather traffic at 20 mph stop and go pinned out the temperture gauge at 210-220. This was at least 30 minutes. At 260 is the boil over range. I was going to sit idle on the side when 230 and above was reached, but then the traffic moved and all was well. Did not get the ecm change yet, but will.

·
Registered
533 Posts
One reason that we haven't heard much about post-ECM replacement overheating may be that we have been experiencing Fall and Winter. :lol:

The ECM low speed fuel mixture part of the "non-recall" was only part of the problem being checked. The other part was the measurement of the heads' coolant capacity. One of my heads was severely under minimum capacity and had to be replaced.

I was not alone, lots of these poorly cast heads limited the coolant flow that affected the overheating.

Also, the fans going the wrong way just have to be a major component. For some reason Honda just won't go there. However, when the temporary fix, sent to us my Honda for the Owners' Manual, said to pull over and let the overheating engine idle a few minutes until the gauge read normal, you just know the fans are a part of the problem.

BTW, idling on the side of the road worked for both times my scooter overheated. The embrarassment I endured while watching the owners of other brands point, laugh and call me names was traumatic. :oops:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it's done. Picked up my Wing this evening (on the way home from work) from the dealer in Roswell, GA. Had to borrow one of his helmets (not what I'd call a helmet --but it was legal and my ears were nearly frozen by the time I got home).

Since I don't live too far from the dealer it's hard to say I noticed any difference at all in performance or shifting (I've read a few remarks about this). I'm excited about getting out for a real ride.

Thanks for all the advice and comments.

BTW, went to the MC show here in Atlanta last weekend. Sure makes one yearn for warmer weather.
:sun1:
-gene

1 - 13 of 13 Posts