GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried swapping a 2001-2005 ECM for a newer 2006 and up ECM??

Please, I mean ACTUALLY, physically done a swap.

·
IronMan
17,459 Posts
Pretty sure it wont work. Ck with fred h or techdude2000

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Different size, number of pins and number of actual plugs between the two. However, Fred H indicated they are looking into a method to swap due to the ECM reflash thing their working on. But for now, no.

·
IronMan
17,459 Posts
:roll::roll: think that was just for 06 an up . ?? maybe working on other as stated but when comes to $$ cant see return on older bike - imop.

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
It may be possible to make an adapter to plug into the harness so that a newer ECM can be retrofitted into an older bike, but no one has actually tried it yet. I think the only possible road block to this might be the interface to the meter panel, since the meter panel also changed in 06. I'd have to look and see what signals are passed back and forth between the meter panel and ECM, and probably the only way to find out if it worked would be to mock one up and try it.

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
Oh, and something else to consider. The technical documentation in the 2006 manual hints that in 06 they changed the type of O2 sensors to a "wider band" sensor, which they now refer to as a "lamba sensor". This would seem to indicate that they are now using "wide band O2 sensors, though I've never been able to confirm that 100%. So even if you were able to get a newer style ECM to work on the older bikes, you'd probably have to change out both O2 sensors for the newer style if you wanted it to run properly. I'm not aware of any other changes to any of the other engine sensors, though there could be. You'd probably need to bump the part numbers for all the engine sensors on a 05 against an 06 and double check. You would want to check things like the BARO, IAT, TPS, coolant temp, Cam position sensor, timing sensor, etc.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,201 Posts
Oh, and something else to consider. The technical documentation in the 2006 manual hints that in 06 they changed the type of O2 sensors to a "wider band" sensor, which they now refer to as a "lamba sensor". This would seem to indicate that they are now using "wide band O2 sensors, though I've never been able to confirm that 100%. So even if you were able to get a newer style ECM to work on the older bikes, you'd probably have to change out both O2 sensors for the newer style if you wanted it to run properly. I'm not aware of any other changes to any of the other engine sensors, though there could be. You'd probably need to bump the part numbers for all the engine sensors on a 05 against an 06 and double check. You would want to check things like the BARO, IAT, TPS, coolant temp, Cam position sensor, timing sensor, etc.
I don't know what they are using for the O2 sensors now, but they refer to them as A/F sensors and someone let me know they have a different connector on them.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. So much for my idea. Back to the old drawing board.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Thanks for the replies. So much for my idea. Back to the old drawing board.
Time to get a new bike? :lol:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Fred,
Apologies if you know this...

Classic o2 sensors simply send an on-off signal. Preset by the manufacturer. Too little o2 and 'off', enough or more and 'on'
Lambda o2 sensors send an actual measurement of the amount of o2 detected. As the amount increases so does the voltage returned to the ECM.

Using Lambda sensors, along with an ECM designed to accept the Lambda signal, is the key to high end tuning. It becomes possible to program the fuel air mixture across the rev range.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts