GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 IB GL1800 is having the ECM changed next week. When I get the bike back, what should I look for as far as positives and negatives on performance etc?

Thanx, Sadlsore. :?:

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
I wouldn't and didn't look for any changes. I didn't find any either, which is good! LOL!

I don't have a clue if it solved the overheating problem. I really doubt it! :( I at least got a free coolant change and my air filter replaced at the same time out of the deal!

Gas mileage and performance seems to be the same as before also! Congrats on your first post. :)

Just Call Me Mr Positive Thinker! LOL...... :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had my ECM changed on my 02 about a month ago. I went on 150 mile ride on New Years Day. My fuel mileage was about the same as before appox. 43 mpg. I don't know about overheating cause my never overheated before. I have 19,000 very happy miles so far. The only thing that appears different to me is that I think the bike hit red line faster in 1st and 2nd gear faster.

·
Registered
304 Posts
ECM

I had mine changed last Tuesday.
So far the only thing I have noticed is:
Before, the engine would clatter during hard acceleration.
After, I hear no clatter or ping.

BUT, now my gripe!
Before I took the bike in I removed my acc. switches, taped them together & tucked them out of the way. This is so the Dealer would not have to mess with them.
Got the bike back Wednesday & this morning Saturday, I am in the process of re-installing acc. switches.
While I had the covers off I looked at the coolant fittings & I am seeing dirt still on the fittings as if they were never removed for the complete cooling system inspection. Now I’m PEEVED!
Did they even change the coolant? I have my doubts.
I'm going to look further before I call the dealer.
I also found one thread stripped out that hold the top panel on.

What I hate is that I will probably have to put it all together again & take it back & fight with them.

"PEEVED"!!! :x DangerousDan

·
Registered
148 Posts
ecm

just dropped off my 2002 for the ecm. they told me that the heads and the coolant and the cable don't get changed.

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
hitechrr.....If that is what the dealer told you, you need to go get your bike and take it to a dealer that can read the service bulletin supplied to them by Honda Corporate. I don't have a clue what you are talking about when you say "cable" unless you are talking about a harness which "does" get replaced on the 02's along with the coolant.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Got mine back today dropped it off yesterday mid morning and they called me this morning to say it was ready. Seems to me the performance is a bit off not as much pickup, mines an 02 so I got a new harness as well. I have no idea if they did the flow test or coolant change. I was near the bottom of the list so it seems they (Apex Sports, Colorado Springs) are completely caught up. Dave

·
Registered
990 Posts
Gentlemen: I see something that doesn't seem to add up. From reading the NHTSA documents it was stated that approx. 25% of the heads were defective. Yet I believe that I have read maybe two reports where some one has had their heads or head replaced on their GL1800. It leads me to suspect that many of the dealers are not checking the capacity of the heads when they are replacing the ECM as required by the Honda, when the ECM change is performed. Have any of you read where someone has had defective head or heads? It is one big pain in the ass to change the head or heads, maybe the dealers are saying everything is fine, when things are not as they should be. Just a thought.

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
Gladiator......You think maybe! ROFL :D

I've thought that all along. I doubt if I have heard of 1 in a 100 getting a new head. Honda doesn't pay enough for the dealers to make anything on it, so why do it! I also think the ECM doesn't do anything but hide or delay the overheating! Just call me skeptical. LOL!! :)

·
Registered
990 Posts
Red: I couldn't agree more with your statement that the O/Hing "fix" is that, a questionable "fix". I believe that when the summer months come you will hear that more will say that their GL1800 still runs Hot, O/hs,etc. I have searched the web sites trying to find someone that has had their head or heads replaced, but have not found any. What's up? Have they all corrected themselves. I just find it hard to believe that all on this site that have had the ECM changed all say that their heads are fine. Who has the defective heads? Where are they? you would think from all the positive posts that there are no defective heads and that the information that Honda submitted to the NHTSA was a hoax. Something ain't right. I have not had the ECM changed, although mine has O/hed under the usual circumstances. I have heard enough sad tales of woe to have me wait and see what happens this summer. I know that the people that live in rural areas never had the problem and still won't with the ECM change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts