GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I've had my battery disconnected to install a Power Plate. Is it necessary to reboot the ECM (not asking this because of an issue, just wondering if it's a necessary procedure)

Thanks in advance for your counsel,
MSN

·
Registered
78 Posts
I also am interested in this. I was thinking of installing both the power plate and the grounding block but am not sure of the consequences of unhooking the battery for a long period of time.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Makes no difference. When the key is off, so is any power to ecm. It's not an adaptive style ecm, so no "always hot" wire to maintain what it "learned". It doesn't learn anything except setting up idle with a thorough warm-up.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,478 Posts
:agree:, yep, it's dead with the key off anyway and it retains the idle setting that it last learned. The only time you should re-initialize it is when the air filter is changed due to changing the air flow.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thank you for the info...Im guessing that the radio and the nav system settings will have to be reprogramed?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK. Thanks for the help! I did change the air filter about a thousand miles ago but wasn't aware that I was to re-initialize the ECM. Should I still do it?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,478 Posts
All the "reset" does is let the ECM teach itself how to make the engine idle correctly. If your air filter is pretty dirty, the ECM has gradually adjusted itself to compensate for the loss of air flow. After you change the filter, you should let it re-learn this function so the mixture will be right and the idle will be as steady as it can be. It's never too late to do it. Depending on how dirty the old filter was, it might not make much difference, but it can't hurt.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Techdude!
So, start w/ cold engine, start, don't touch throttle, once fans start allow to run another 90 seconds or so, turn off, done. Correct?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,478 Posts
Yep, that'll do it. Before someone points out that you don't have to let the fans come on, I'll say that is true, but the fans coming on ensures that it is up to normal operating temp. The procedure says to let it get to normal operating temp and wait 90 seconds. The fans coming on are a good indicator if there's any doubt with that wonderful temp gauge we have. :thumbup:

By the way I like your Handle "man set free" I thought I was going to be one of those when I got my wing in 04, but then I became a papa 3 yrs later at 45! Now I won't be free for at least 20 years.

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
Yep, that'll do it. Before someone points out that you don't have to let the fans come on, I'll say that is true, but the fans coming on ensures that it is up to normal operating temp. The procedure says to let it get to normal operating temp and wait 90 seconds. The fans coming on are a good indicator if there's any doubt with that wonderful temp gauge we have. :thumbup:
Good information techdude, as usual, You Rock!!

What happens when you are at 4500 feet in elevation and go to sea level?
Do you have to reset the idle.??

Thanks...Randy

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
I have never heard of the ECM having any capability to adjust itself after the initial reset. As someone mentioned earlier, this ECM does not have any adaptive capabilities to compensate for wear like a car does. It's far too simple for that. Of course, something sure could have changed in the 10 years this bike has been out. 2010 ECM's may function differently than the 2001.

It has always been my understanding the the ECM initialization only calibrates COLD idle rpm.

I normally don't like to question anything Techdude says, and I could be FOS, but that is the way I understand it.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,478 Posts
Sorry, Larry, you are right as far as the information that Honda has given us. I was speaking from the experience that I had with my bike. I should have said that. 10,000 miles ago I changed a pretty dirty air filter and I usually pay close attention to how my bike is running. Well, after I changed the filter my idle was all over the place to the point where I pulled the shelter back off and triple checked every plug on every harness I had touched as well as the hoses and even the screws and the o-ring gasket in the airbox lid. Everything looked good, I could find nothing out of place or wrong. So I went thru the initialization procedure and sure enough the idle smoothed right out, back to where it was before the change. It didn't make any since to me, but it sure made a difference. So, I recommend the "reset" for just a filter change, it can't hurt and it might even run better. :thumbup:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks so much techdude. And thanks for the comment on my handle. Actually it is a testimony to what Jesus has done for me. But the 'Wing is a satisfying, albeit temporary, blessing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts