GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am riding to work and I usually take back roads.
I see up ahead is a big truck and we are going to be heading up a hill.
So I take it out of Tour and put it into Econ since I will just be following and there is no need for any extra power.
I also put it in Manual since I don't want it to upshift and lug the engine.
I am in in 4th gear and the truck is slowly slowing down, and puts on its hazards and slows down to about 20 mph.
After following a while I realize I need to get around this guy, the speed limit is 45.
I downshift to 3rd and punch it.
As the I hear the engine race, I hit the paddle shifter and it goes into 4th, I pass the truck and pull back into the lane and as I do I look down and I am doing 70mph and still in Econ mode.
Wow! This thing will get up and go.....even in Econ mode.
Econ mode is not for just cruising around town.

·
Registered
923 Posts
For me Econ mode in stop n go traffic and Tour mode on the freeway and long stretches.

·
Registered
18,551 Posts
Tried ECO mode when the bike was new. Lasted 10 seconds. I only use TOUR and SPORT. Honda at least gives us a choice of four modes

·
Registered
279 Posts
Eco mode and rain are good for bumper to bumper traffic, normal driving is in tour, rarely do I have a need for sport as a single rider.
Going from 7th to 6th in tour is all I need

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I live in ECON mode. It is the only mode where the throttle is controllable. Both Tour and Sport on slightly to very bumpy roads cause my RPM to act like I am having a seizure. I just wish torque control did not kick in so quickly with ECON. But if I need to haul mass, I will be gone in short order; as long as TC does not kick in and bog me down.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has studied fuel savings with ECON mode? Too bad Honda doesn't tell us this or do they?

·
Love The DCT
11,377 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has studied fuel savings with ECON mode? Too bad Honda doesn't tell us this or do they?
This is what Honda says about ECON mode. However, no "figures" for "improved fuel efficiency."
?

Econ Mode
This mode gives expression to the riding character as recommended by Honda when riding in a relaxed manner on roads in cities and suburbs. Through the mild acceleration and deceleration characteristics and the suspension’s soft damping characteristics, more relaxed cruising is possible. In the automatic modes of the DCT model, the shifts occur at low engine speeds, also contributing to improved fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We in NC have had a huge amount of rain this Winter. I have ridden a few times in it. Using Rain or Econ mode sure eases my mind by eliminating excessive torque at the rear wheel. Also, my yard has stayed quite wet and it is uphill in the grass from my building to the driveway. Less throttle response (Rain or Econ) and a gentle hand are mandatory. Even so, I have still had the rear slide around a couple times. 850 lbs. = Not a good dirt bike. That huge rear tire will really make a trough in soupy grass. Love it, love it, love it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts