GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably 95+% of my riding is in Tour Mode. Yesterday I took a trip to another town 75 miles away. The entire trip was rural backroads. I decided to try Econ mode going down. I averaged 48.1mpg for those 75 miles. On the way back, I used Tour mode and got 50.1 mpg. The Conditions and roads going down were identical to those coming back, except for the ambient temp. (mid 60s going down, mid 70s back). Other than a few stop signs, speed averaged 45-65 both ways.
I have never liked Econ mode as it feels like riding a bike that's been neutered. It shifts too early into 6th & 7th gears, lugging the engine (in my opinion) and, at least on this trip, gets poorer fuel mileage.
I'm just wondering why some prefer the Econ mode for most of their riding.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I have a manual 6-speed and I have to use ECON. Any other setting and the throttle becomes uncontrollable. I would love to have the traction control setting for Sport mode, but if I am guaranteed to be in either too much throttle or too little throttle in Sport mode; it is just not going to work for me. Yesterday, I did change to Sport a few times anticipating a chance to pass someone without bein bogged down by traction control kicking in when I took off; but the lurching back and forth of too much and too little throttle caused me to just pull in the clutch and coast off an on until I just gave up on Sport mode or finally got to pass going back to Econ as soon as I was back to the right of the center line.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have any of those problems in tour mode on my DCT. The throttle response is smooth and predictable in the tour mode. I rarely use Sport mode as it is too sensitive for most applications. I'll probably send my ECU to Guhl this winter to take care of that and a few other issues.

·
Love The DCT
11,453 Posts
Probably 95+% of my riding is in Tour Mode. Yesterday I took a trip to another town 75 miles away. The entire trip was rural backroads. I decided to try Econ mode going down. I averaged 48.1mpg for those 75 miles. On the way back, I used Tour mode and got 50.1 mpg. The Conditions and roads going down were identical to those coming back, except for the ambient temp. (mid 60s going down, mid 70s back). Other than a few stop signs, speed averaged 45-65 both ways.
I have never liked Econ mode as it feels like riding a bike that's been neutered. It shifts too early into 6th & 7th gears, lugging the engine (in my opinion) and, at least on this trip, gets poorer fuel mileage.
I'm just wondering why some prefer the Econ mode for most of their riding.
I've seen very little difference in mpg between Tour and Econ. Econ is nice in heavy stop n go traffic. Otherwise, I'm in Tour mode.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I like econ mode in 45 mph speed zones. In tour the shift point is around 48-50 mph and it wants to stay in 6th gear right around 45. In econ the shift to 7th is below 45 mph and I can just cruise along in those longer 45 mph zones without it changing back and forth from 6th to 7th and back. Rest of riding is in tour unless it's raining hard and in sport in the twisties for the compression braking. 90% tour most times.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Yeah, I'd have to agree there really isn't that much difference in economy between ECON and TOUR. Really comes down to throttle response more than anything else. Your speed (and therefore DRAG) controls MPG more than anything else. I used to ride in ECON most everywhere, but now I rarely touch it.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
I have a manual 6-speed and I have to use ECON. Any other setting and the throttle becomes uncontrollable. I would love to have the traction control setting for Sport mode, but if I am guaranteed to be in either too much throttle or too little throttle in Sport mode; it is just not going to work for me. Yesterday, I did change to Sport a few times anticipating a chance to pass someone without bein bogged down by traction control kicking in when I took off; but the lurching back and forth of too much and too little throttle caused me to just pull in the clutch and coast off an on until I just gave up on Sport mode or finally got to pass going back to Econ as soon as I was back to the right of the center line.
I am wondering why you have no traction control in SPORT. Don Gould's programming does calm down that on-off effect with SPORT.

To Greg, the OP, I wonder if there was a significant elevation difference between point A and point B.

prs

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Ive used the Eco mode while pulling my trailer on the Blue Ridge Parkway where there is constant curves...throttle is very smooth and its easy to just keep the pace and be very smooth in the sweeping curves..other than that I dont use Eco mode..or the rain mode.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I also have the 6 speed and coming from a VT1100 where there is almost no response to throttle, I found Tour mode, in my first 1000 miles, too responsive. In Econ mode there is not much fuel saving but for new owners it is great. I would advise anyone new to GL to try ECON.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I use ECO mode in heavy traffic, I need the throttle a bit softer so I dont take off so fast and crunch the front end.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am wondering why you have no traction control in SPORT. Don Gould's programming does calm down that on-off effect with SPORT.

To Greg, the OP, I wonder if there was a significant elevation difference between point A and point B.

prs
Very little elevation change between the two points. Western side of Ga. Pretty flat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Rain and Econ Modes are completely useless to me. And the TC is way to intrucive in Tour or Normal/Sport Mode. Should be able to change suspension and TC settings on the fly instead of having to stop and screw with the retard menu system. Thanks nanny Honda for nothing...

·
Registered
527 Posts
I run in TOUR mode 95% of the time. I use SPORT mode 4%, only on twisty roads and even then only when I'm in the mood to be super aggressive. I use RAIN mode 1% of the time, only in very heavy rain or sometimes for slow speed parking lot type maneuvers. I do not use ECON mode, I don't like the shift points and I've not found any measurable MPG difference.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I tried running in ECON mode on a return trip from Robbinsville, N.C. to Huntsville, Al. The idea was to see how far I could reasonably ride before needing to fill up. This was in the middle of summer in 2018. I went with major highways and Interstates as much as possible - I wanted long stretches of continuous riding. I followed the speed limits as much as possible. As it turned out, I stopped for gas about two miles from my house to fill up and the trip odometer recorded 254 miles. The bike was loaded with a dry bag and a tour pack on the trunk rack. I weighted about 10 pounds less than I do now, but I'm certain I'm much more handsome now.

What did I discover from this exercise? Really nothing other than I like to ride which I already knew. As far as ECON mode, I don't use it as it doesn't really do much for me. If it's raining, I'll run in RAIN mode - I mean that's what you're supposed to do isn't is. A majority of my riding is TOUR mode with the occasional switch to SPORT mode to get the adrenaline flowing. And when you hit the WO in SPORT, your brain is left behind... yeah, so I stay in TOUR mostly.

·
Registered
18,696 Posts
I tried ECON mode once. Throttle response was so poor I will never do it again. I could care less if MPG were 48 or 40. I am glad however that Honda has put this(useless IMHO) ECON mode for those that need it

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I’ve been running in sport mode most of the time. I wanted to get used to controlling it. Once you start using it all the time you finally can feather the throttle so well it’s not jerky. In town I like the sport mode in case I need to move quickly from a distracted driver. If I am taking a long trip on the big road I would use tour or economy to save fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
798 Posts
I use Econ mode most of the time. I haven't really compared the gas mileage between the two. The roads I travel to and from work on, I have found where I like to take it out of Econ and put it in Tour, or even Sport mode. Sometimes I am in Manual and not automatic because I want to decide the shifting points. I enjoy switching between all the options and I get a thrill when the bike runs smooth and subdued in Econ mode one minute, and I have to hang on for dear life in Sport mode the next.

·
15 year Member
6,809 Posts
My bike runs in one mode now . . . Sport!! I have no need for the other 3. :p
sport mode is great however I ride mostly in tour... having said that in rain and slippery conditions Rain mode is a life saver....running in sport mode in the rain is irresponsible and dangerous, IMHO..

ride safe everyone

mattbcnv

1 - 20 of 51 Posts