GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
I haven't really tried Econ mode for any distance on my'19 DCT Tour, but I'll offer these comments on your Econ vs Tour mode fuel economy:

1. The test mileage of 75 miles is too short to give you good data.
2. One needs to run the test route in the same direction to eliminate even minor elevation differences, even if they SEEM negligible.
3. As I understand it, the Econ mode programs the trans to upshift earlier (that, at lower rpm), which logically means TO ME that Econ will yield better fuel economy results if the transmission is shifting more often, such as in stop and go city traffic. I seriously doubt that if you compare Econ to Tour mode on a long highway run at a steady 75 mph for one full tank of fuel at a steady speed and NO SHIFTING IS INVOLVED, that the fuel use will likely be identical. There will be no fuel saving that would have resulted from early transmission upshifts in Econ mode.

If you have the patience, I'd try running one full tank in Econ and one in Tour, both in urban riding.

Logically, if an engine is shifted at lower RPMs, fuel consumption should be lower, right?

Tim

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don’t think there is enough fuel economy difference to matter.
As for feel, “some folks likes ham hocks, and some folks likes pork chops, and some folks likes vegetable stew...”

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Logically, if an engine is shifted at lower RPMs, fuel consumption should be lower, right?
You might think so, but I believe it's a bit more complicated than that. An engine will always be more efficient at a particular RPM (or RPM range). It's the nature of IC. Manufacturer's have learned techniques to widen that range by adjusting valve timing, duration, lift, etc. But to the best of my knowledge, the GL1800s don't take advantage of any of these techniques. We have fixed valve actuations. It's entirely possible that lugging the engine at a lower RPM will consume as much fuel (or perhaps more) than running the engine at a higher RPM where it is producing more useful power. I'm not an expert by any means. I'm not even qualified to call myself a shadetree mechanic. I'm simply speaking from my own testing. I stand by my statement that DRAG is the MPG enemy, not RPM.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You might think so, but I believe it's a bit more complicated than that. An engine will always be more efficient at a particular RPM (or RPM range). It's the nature of IC. Manufacturer's have learned techniques to widen that range by adjusting valve timing, duration, lift, etc. But to the best of my knowledge, the GL1800s don't take advantage of any of these techniques. We have fixed valve actuations. It's entirely possible that lugging the engine at a lower RPM will consume as much fuel (or perhaps more) than running the engine at a higher RPM where it is producing more useful power. I'm not an expert by any means. I'm not even qualified to call myself a shadetree mechanic. I'm simply speaking from my own testing. I stand by my statement that DRAG is the MPG enemy, not RPM.
You're right, it is complicated. RPM AND drag are both the enemy of fuel economy.

But look at the change in automobile automatic transmissions over the past 5-8 years. They keep increasing the number of gears to bring down the number of rpms, especially at cruising speed.

You are quite correct that on motorcycles, especially, drag is a huge factor. But I'd wager that if you were to run your bike on the highway at, say, 70 mph, for one tank of fuel in the DCT's 6th gear, then run the same route in 7th gear, there would be a noticeable difference in fuel economy.

Tim

·
Registered
142 Posts
I’ve been running in sport mode most of the time. I wanted to get used to controlling it. Once you start using it all the time you finally can feather the throttle so well it’s not jerky. In town I like the sport mode in case I need to move quickly from a distracted driver. If I am taking a long trip on the big road I would use tour or economy to save fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Just curious on what the mpg are while running sport mode?
In tour mine runs 50 - 52 mpg .
Pbr

·
Registered
370 Posts
Vehicle lifetime fuel mileage, since new:

2019 DCT TOUR (approx. 9,000 km): 4.93 l/100 km (47.7 US mpg/57.3 imp mpg)

2014 BMW R1200RT (approx. 42,000 km): 5.13 l/100 km (45.8 US mpg/55.0 imp mpg)

I ride with fellows who aren't slow, but we don't dawdle either, and typically run 10-15 km/h over the posted speed limit.

Tim

Edit: apologies. My figures are for running mainly in Tour mode.

·
Registered
154 Posts
There you have it. It should have probably been called “comfort” mode. A whole paragraph about the Econ mode and not a mention of economy.
Well, they did say, "(2) ECON: Enhancing rider’s comfort such as quietness, better fuel economy". But I get the point. Comfort would have been more suitable. :)

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Well, this thread is making me try running on Tour for a while. I was under the impression I would get a lot better gas mileage on Econ...I am traumatized!

I always click the mode lever twice as soon as I start to land on Econ...so I am used to that torque. A couple of times I mistakenly landed it on Tour and I almost snapped my head off my neck till I realized I was on Tour.

I tried rain, but it seems to shift later on the RPM band than Econ...tis the only differ I notice between those two.

Does the TC work differently on Rain

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I used Econ mode riding in tight group type riding during the holidays for some toy runs. It worked great for this. Much easier and relaxing when slow riding in tight groups.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Say what?! I only get around 42 in Tour. MAYBE 45 on a long, low-speed highway run. I live around 300' ASL. I imagine you're quite a bit higher up in MN, eh?
I've been running an average of 50 mpg since i reset my trip B which has aprox. 2800 miles, and it's also running with a grin factor .
Pbr

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
So, I think I come up with a theory as to why the Econ and Tour get same gas mileage.

After reading this thread (mind you, I always was under the impression Econ would prompt best mpg) I started using Tour instead. On my first short errand using Tour, it was clear to me that I was using much less throttle to maintain my driving style.

So I think thats it: You driving style dictates how much throttle pull you use; it only makes sense that if you are on Econ you are gonna use more throttle to maintain your driving style.

DISCLAIMER:
this post was placed for your entertainment purpose. Please consult Fred Harmon for any confirmation of philosophical beliefs regarding the mileage of a 2018+ Wing.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
I’ve been running in sport mode most of the time. I wanted to get used to controlling it. Once you start using it all the time you finally can feather the throttle so well it’s not jerky. In town I like the sport mode in case I need to move quickly from a distracted driver. If I am taking a long trip on the big road I would use tour or economy to save fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Do you think riding in Sport mode most of time adversely affects your mileage?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts