GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
And after riding for a couple of days on
Tour-mode now, I come to realize that its true what they say about Tour: its louder than Econ.

Since either one make sense to me to any condition. The lesson I learned here is to keep an open mind to use the downshift lever for a lower gear if I think the DCT is lugging the engine on a 'too-high gear'.

I just did that on a 45mph zone. Good o' DCT went to 7th and I punched the downshift lever to 6th, which felt more in tune with fixing the complaint heard on this thread: "that the Econ mode shifts too soon and lugs the power plant.

At any rate, I am back on using Econ. I like it better. It has a good sound to it. If there was a mode called Splurge I would never use it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Seems like I've been using Rain mode like almost everyone else has been using Econ -- for lower speed riding around town or when I want a gentler throttle response, like in parking lot maneuvers, etc. For some reason, I never even checked out Econ, maybe because I thought it was more about saving fuel. Anyone find any significant difference, at least in feel, between the two?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't have any of those problems in tour mode on my DCT. The throttle response is smooth and predictable in the tour mode. I rarely use Sport mode as it is too sensitive for most applications. I'll probably send my ECU to Guhl this winter to take care of that and a few other issues.
Greg, with the flash correct the "twitchy" throttle? I.m coming from a HD and not use to the throttle "jumps" i get when I hit bumps, try to just barely hold on to the throttle when i see the bumps coming, and I use cruise control every chance I get

·
Registered
238 Posts
...For some reason, I never even checked out Econ, maybe because I thought it was more about saving fuel. Anyone find any significant difference, at least in feel, between the two?
Your reasoning is why I have never used "Rain" mode: its not raining! My experience is that throttle responsiveness (fuel mapping) goes from least to most: Rain, Econ, Tour, Sport. Coming from a VT1100 where I am used to minimal throttle response, I used ECON for a a few thousand km but am now using Tour and switch to ECON in stop/go traffic. My few thousand km in ECON show minimal fuel savings.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Greg, with the flash correct the "twitchy" throttle? I.m coming from a HD and not use to the throttle "jumps" i get when I hit bumps, try to just barely hold on to the throttle when i see the bumps coming, and I use cruise control every chance I get
From the reports I've read from those who have had the ECU reprogrammed, that the Tour mode is less sensitive and the Sport mode is much better, especially at low speeds.

·
Registered
25 Posts
for me TOUR mode is my 95%. Sport mode on occasion for steeper mtns and sometimes gives that extra umph with a passenger. Never use econ or rain. Typically get over 50 mpg on tour with standard shift, highest was 55 mpg on a couple hour ride.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Marketing pressure requires vehicle manufacturers to have these multiple driving modes to brag about even when the distinctions are artificlal. Rain mode is a good idea, Sport mode is a (literal) gas, and Touring mode is my default, but Econ mode is pure marketing BS, a dry dream. Perhaps under very limited, very specific riding conditions--maybe a long day on a slab at steady speeds--Econ mode might result in a slight mileage increase. But something like Econ mode can easily backfire and cause a decrease in mileage in even normal traffic if, because throttle response is so muted, you regularly must grab extra throttle to get by phone-addled car drivers.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I have tried all the modes and now I just run in tour manual all the time. I guess I like to shift when I want to and it is so easy to just pull the trigger to upshift. Auto shifts too soon for my taste and feels like it is lugging a lot.

That said, under hard breaking like coming to a stop sign, I do let the computer downshift for me but I always use the lever to upshift ........when I am ready.

The beauty of this bike is it gives the rider lots of choices.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
I find the default tour mode works just fine. What I don’t like is the lack of responsiveness on Econ- it seems as though it is more of a safety concern to me as it would make it more difficult to accelerate and get out of the way.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts