GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a question on knock sensors and the ECU. The bike is a 2002, 135,000 miles, without the overheating ‘upgrade’, burning 87 octane gas on a 95 deg. day.
A couple weeks ago I pulled away from a toll both on the Kansas turnpike, short-shifted into 2nd gear and went full throttle. By 3,000 rpm, it sounded like I had 6 cans full of rocks rattling in front of my feet. At about 5,000 rpm, the sound suddenly quit. I figured the knock sensors finally went to work and had the ecu retard the timing. At the next toll booth (same tank of gas, same outside conditions, engine was not shut off in between), I repeated the test. This time, no pinging.
Questions: Does the ecu remember the timing setting? If so, for how long? Until the next time I restart? If not, why so quiet the next time I did it?

Thanx

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
You may be right to suspect the software in the engine controller. However, you will probably never find the answer to your question unless it is already described in an official Honda repair manual somewhere. Engine controller software is highly proprietary technology and at least part of it is a closely guarded trade secret. I have worked in this area and I had to sign an iron clad non disclosure agreement before I was allowed to start.

The truth is, I think your knock sensor may be going bad. If this were a software issue with the 2002 models, you would probably have noticed it long ago as would many other people. I don't have a 2002 but I have never experienced what you described on my 2004.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ECU & knock sensors

Thanx, Artmann. This is a fantastic group with an almost limitless (it seems) wealth of knowledge and experience. Like you said, looks like I've run against trade secrets. I'll research the shop manual and see what I can find out about the knock sensors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts