GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in fort worth tx....it was beautiful today and i had the chance to ride for several hours. This was my first ride since having the ecu replaced. The temperature gauge never moved even in traffic,68 degrees outside,however the fans did come on on two occasions. Prior to the ecu change the fans would only come on if the temp. gauge had moved up noticably. Does anyone know if this is normal after having the ecu changed. Thank you :?:

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Trey,

I am not happy to hear about this. I am happy to hear I do not own the only one that is doing it. Mine has been doing this since it was new. The dealer where I bought mine thought that when we changed out the ECM that it would quit. I did not. I had mine changed in Oct. so I have not been able to ride it much since. What little riding I did get in, the fans were coming on without it even being hot. Keep me informed about what happens and if I get mine looked at before you I will do the same.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
What is the problem? Is not the idea of having the fans come on to decrease temp whats suppose to happen. One would have it happen before it got too hot. So it sounds like it is working as it should. But I could be wrong.

Dan L

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Trey,

Soundsas though it is working fine to me. Have you ever noticed on your cage, that the fans come on and the temp is normal on the vehicle.

Before the ECM change on my bike, I don't think the fans came on soon enough.

Bulldog

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I probably did not make myself clear enough.

They come on when the gauge is not even over half way up. They stay on even after you get to 40 MPH and will not shut off until you stop and shut off the engine.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Ross: How can you tell the fans are on at 40mph? If that is true, you definitely have an issue to take up with your dealer. They are supposed to shut off above 15 regardless of temp. Since they blow forward, at speed they are hurting not helping the airflow.
By the way, I see nothing wrong with the fans cycling at speeds below 15 without the temp gauge moving much if any. Like mentioned above, that's the way cars work and that's the way my GL has worked from day 1 on both old and new ECM.

Good luck
Jim

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
After they come on and you listen you can hear them. They are not real loud but it is there. The first time I mentioned this to my dealer he thought I wa pulling his leg. After they let it set and the fans came on they took it for a ride and the mechanic said I was correct. the strange thing is that it does not do it all of the time. It may go several miles in between times and then it might do it several times in a few miles. My fans have probably already ran more hours than most fans would run in the lifetime of the 1800. :) :)

If you are riding on a 60 deg. day and the temp. gauge is below half way there is no need for the fans to be on. At least that is what they claim at the dealership where I bought the bike.

My 1800 was one that never had the overheating issue. I never saw the gauge go over halfway but one time. It never got hot that time either, just warmed up a bit in slow moving traffic on a 90 deg. day. I was hotter than the bike :!: :) :)

I know from reading this list about dealer service that I am lucky in the fact that my dealer does care about his customers and tries to do what is right.

G

·
0 Posts
I'm on the original ECM, have never overheated,
and yes, my fans will cycle on and off at slow/no speed
situations without the gauge moving. As noted, they
should shut down above 15MPH regardless of what the
gauge tells you....otherwise totally counterproductive.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
That sounds good. Now the only thing they have to find out is why they will not shut off on their own. I know when I have been riding with other 1800's mine come on and theres never have.

Until you stop and shut the key off mine stays on.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Lets get more information here.
1) What grade gasoline do you run?
2) Are your radiators clean?
3) Are your fans running the proper direction?
4) What RPM are you running when this happens?
5) Is your coolant mixture proper?
6) Are your radiators full?
7) Is all the air out of your cooling system?
8) Is there a kink in a hose?
9) Could the water pump be going out?
10) Could you have a brake dragging?
11) Are both fans running?
Too many variables here to call the shot. More investigation is needed, under warranty of course.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
It sounds like the temperature sensor is defective. Once the fans come on they do not get the signal to turn off again.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
trey said:
Does anyone know if this is normal after having the ecu changed. Thank you :?:
This is how mine behaves after the change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts